General Film Talk Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

She wants to skin 101 Dalmatians to make a coat...that’s a pretty fucked up chick. Exactly the type of character a bass ackwards Disney would think could be turned into some misunderstood hero because of vagina.

The Dark Knight and abyzmul like this.
  2. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

My favourite movies of all-time are: The Godfather, Part II (which is superior to the Godfather...don't let anyone tell you otherwise)...Apocalypse Now....The Exorcist (which is a DRAMA and NOT a horror film, don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise)....and No Country for Old Men (which is the Coen Bros. BEST FILM BY FAR...don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise)

The Dark Knight likes this.
  3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

There's no GF Part II without the first. I rank them equally. I love them both.

4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

The only problem with No Country For Old Men is that it is so incredibly brilliant that it seemingly turned Burn After Reading into a disappointment following it, when in fact Burn After Reading is f’ing hysterical. The same thing happened to The Big Lebowski which was not a well received movie upon its release following Fargo.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  5. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

When you're talking Coen Brothers I'm coming at you with Miller's Crossing all day long.

Not that you can really go wrong with any of them.

patleahy likes this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Blood Simple is one of their first films and it has aged very well. It's a bit more Hitchcockian than their average fare but that makes it even more of a must-see if you like their stuff.

patleahy likes this.
  7. Br4d

Burn After reading is a great film. It's probably my favorite Brad Pitt film *and* my favorite George Clooney film in one package.

JetBlue likes this.
  8. patleahy

a bit of trivia for you, @Br4d since you are a fan of "Blood Simple"....The original video version of Blood Simple couldn't get the rights to use The Four Tops song "It's the Same Old Song" (which essentially became the theme for the film). It was instead replaced with the Neil Diamond cover song of "I'm a Believer." Later DVD and Blu-ray releases restore the Four Tops song to the film, as the Coen Bros. intended.

9. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

Damn I was really excited for the conjuring. I thought it was pretty bad.

The Dark Knight and patleahy like this.
  10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I'll watch it sometime this weekend.

NYGalPal and patleahy like this.
  11. patleahy

lol even after NYGalPal just warned you about it, @The Dark Knight ?!!

The Dark Knight and NYGalPal like this.
  12. Br4d

This rights stuff on different versions needs to go away.

Nobody can watch the best TV series of all time, Moonlighting, because it used more good music than any show in history during its runs. Now its no longer published on DVD, nor available to be streamed or in syndication because none of those rights were covered in the original series run.

Freaking Bruce Willis at his best, singing, dancing and really good at both and Cybill Shepherd being Cybill Shepherd and we're all permanently deprived because nobody thinks they'll make enough to buy the music rights necessary. And no, the show would be terrible with the music excised or replaced, so that's not an option.

Ralebird and patleahy like this.
  13. Br4d

I took my 13 year old niece to see The Conjuring when it came out because all of her friends were afraid to see it. About halfway through the flick she elbows me in the ribs, "Stop screaming Uncle Brad! You're embarrassing me!" The clapping scene happened right after that and she almost stalked out of the theater at my reaction to that one.

14. patleahy

@Br4d I understand where you are coming from and agree, AND I respect the fact that actually remember Moonlighting since not many people do these days, but two points, both having to do with David Chase's masterpiece The Sopranos....I would respectfully disagree with you regarding Moonlighting being the best tv show of all time AND on the fact that it used more good music than any show in history. I think the Sopranos takes the cake on both points....Chase's use of music throughout the Sopranos was utterly and undeniably brilliant.

15. Br4d

Moonlighting was a detective dramady with a huge amount of improvisation and general fun in it, most of which happened on Willis and Shepherd's watch. It was like a non-stop "ho-ho-ho, now I have a machine gun" but with Willis, who was the real deal as an unknown bartender cast into the biggest role of his life. The characters stepped out into the audience over and over again without making the scripts any less compelling.

It had more zest than anything this side of The Planet of The Apes opera on The Simpsons.

I'd have given the Sopranos a similar score only if Tony and his Capos had sung along to some of that great music now and then.

patleahy likes this.
  16. patleahy

lol ok @Br4d , I respect how passionately you feel about Moonlighting.

Br4d likes this.
  17. patleahy

since you brought it up, @Br4d

18. Br4d

The crazy thing is I have no patience for musicals. It was the mix of drama and farce and just general mayhem that really caught me. That and that I had been crushed on Cybill Shepherd since The Last Picture Show.

OMG, I just typed The Last Picture Show into Google and they gave me cast pictures of all the actors in their 70's and 80's. What a horrible retrospective. To me this is a textbook case of Artificial Stupidity in play.

#618 Br4d, Jun 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  19. Br4d

20. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

That's one of my favorite films of all time. 'Blood Simple', their very first flick, is a gem. It's so great. "There's a lot of money missing from the safe, Ray. A lot of money!" "You look stupid now." "I haven't done anything funny." To anyone who hasn't seen it, put it on your list. It started the long association between Joel Coen and Frances McDormand. I think they've been married for almost 40 years now.