General Film Talk Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That was one of the most ridiculous movies I have ever seen. I ended up enjoying how insane it was, especially compared to the previous ones. Definitely check your brain at the door.
    Yeah, Mortal Kombat should be fun at least. It looks good.

Cman68 likes this.
  2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

They moved Mortal Kombat to next Friday 4/23. WB wanted to squeeze some more money out of Kong vs Godzilla in theaters wherever it is playing.

Really excited for MK

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

It was the quintessential Covid Era movie. Rushed, thin on plot but heavy on CGI, boring dialogue.

REVISion and The Dark Knight like this.
  4. Cman68

Finally watch ZS Justice League. Honestly, I liked it better than the original except for the 4:3 formatting. The Epilogue was great and I'm actually looking forward to the return of Darkseid. Should be epic. I just hope they'll do it properly instead of this halfass Covid-era bullshit they pass off as movies these days.

And FTLoG... Ditch the 4:3 formatting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#584 Cman68, Apr 19, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    The Dark Knight likes this.
  5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

OKAY! I thought I was going crazy because I saw 4/16 everywhere.

6. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Just watched Willy's Wonderland. One of the worst movies I have seen recently but I could not turn it off.
    Nicholas Cage fighting possessed animatronic creatures in an abandoned fun house. The bonus was Cage did not have one word of dialog, just grunts.

7. Cman68

Just finished watching "Nobody". Kinda Deathwish meets Taken but good entertainment if you like your movies dark and violent. Not bad for a Covid-Era effort.

8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I definitely want to see it but when I last looked it was $20 to rent.

9. Cman68

ouch...I thought it was free on AMZ Prime. Thanks to a rather liberal interpretation of the DMCA, I obtained my copy of the movie free of charge. Don't ask..

The Dark Knight and bicketybam like this.
  10. Cman68

Also finished "The Irishman". Another great mob movie from Scorsese. Long movie though so unless you got several hours to give it, don't watch until you do.

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Something about the Irishman made it fall flat for me. It was a good movie and I have always had a fascination for the Hoffa story but it didn't work. Maybe I'm just sick of Deniro.

Cman68 likes this.
  12. abyzmul

Was it everything you had hoped for? I have to admit when I saw it had a 6.6 on IMDB I was surprised. A 6.6 for a mercilessly overdone video game franchise would be like a 9.2 for a regular movie.

Is it worth watching?

13. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Yeah I am split in the middle. I think its a 6 out of 10 for me. You have to go into it wanting to see it for the gore, action, characters.

Its worth a watch if you were a fan of the games, the problem I have with it is there are parts that are really good and then parts that are just bad.

Non spoilers -
    I dont like the lead character they forced on us movie goers, it reeks of studio involvement. The pacing was very rushed at times, the generic movie score did not help during fights, it would have really benefited with those changes. The stuff with subzero and scorpion is great, some characters really are fun (like Kano). There is great CGI and the world has potential.

I will also say, the movie feels like a set up to more movies...Its hard to do a movie like this but WB as many have heard are terrible at ruining movies by butchering the scenes, cutting minutes, and adding things to the script.

Someone made a note that this film reminds them of 2014 Godzilla movie, which was supposed to be a Godzilla movie but like 20 minutes in it became a movie about a soldier trying to get home so it could connect to basic movie goers. WB needs to get their head out of their asses and let the people who make the games just do the story and plot.

If you go in for just a fun good time to watch gore and action its worth a watch. If you are planning a epic adventure then you will be let down

#593 Poeman, Apr 24, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  14. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Saw The Courier yesterday. A Cold War (around the Cuban Missile Crisis) fact-based thriller in the John le Carré tradition, Benedict Cumberbatch does a fine job. A good movie if you like that kind of thing.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'll look that one up.

The remake of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy with Cumberbatch and Gary Oldman playing John Smiley was really good - much better than I expected it to be.

Gary Oldman is rounding into the Anthony Hopkins of his generation. He plays lots of sketchy characters but always in a way that is memorable and sometimes defining. I didn't think anybody could do a better job on John Smiley than Alec Guinness but Oldman's portrayal was brilliant and definitely in the running.

16. abyzmul

Gary Oldman is in my top 5, I'm a sucker for an actor that can disappear into a character and he's one of the best at it.

17. statjeff22

As I said could very well happen, Frances McDormand won two Oscars tonight, as Best Actress (her third) and as a producer for Nomadland. Chloé Zhao became the second woman to win Best Director for the film as well.

I'm not sure if I mentioned seeing Soul in this thread, but it won for best animated film (I'm a jazz lover, so I enjoyed that movie as well).

Presumably the biggest surprise of the evening was the late Chadwick Boseman not winning for Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (which would have also been a lifetime achievement award given his untimely death); Anthony Hopkins became the oldest acting Oscar winner at age 83 for The Father, taking home his second Oscar (no mention of fava beans and a nice chianti this time, I imagine - haven't seen the movie).

18. statjeff22

If you like spy movies I recommend last year's A Call to Spy, starring Sarah Megan Thomas, Radhika Apte, and Stana Katic. Also fact-based (World War II this time, about the women who were sent to France to be spies for Britain and work with the Resistance); not as cynical as le Carré, but still all about how espionage success or failure often comes down to good or bad luck, with individual bravery necessary but not necessarily the determining factor. Three very strong performances from the three stars.

Br4d likes this.
  19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Hopkins is just amazing. I've disliked the occasional film he's done but never because of him.

20. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I returned to the theater this week and saw A Quiet Place Part II and Cruella. I thought both were pretty good in their own ways.

A Quiet Place Part II is a great sequel to the original. If you liked the first one, you will like this.

I had fun with Cruella. I love Emma Stone, so seeing her play a role like that was fun. I don't know much about the Cruella character, but apparently she is way more evil than how Emma played it, which upset some people. I did not mind.