General Film Talk Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

How many x-wives and kids does Eddie Murphy have again? Payments must be a bitch to keep up with... :)

abyzmul likes this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I have to say the sole exception that I've seen from him in recent memory is Dolemite is My Name which was fkn great.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Anybody here would give their left nut to have Eddie Murphy's family problems.

I think he's still the greatest entertainer to come out of Brooklyn in my lifetime.

4. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Saw Nomadland tonight. David Rooney's review in The Hollywood Reporter is a perfect description: "Like Zhao's earlier work, Nomadland is an unassuming film, its aptly meandering, unhurried non-narrative layering impressions rather than building a story with the standard markers. But the cumulative effect of its many quiet, seemingly inconsequential encounters and moments of solitary contemplation is a unique portrait of outsider existence." Frances McDormand should be on anyone's shortlist to win her third Oscar, and the movie and Chloe Zhao have to be very strong contenders as well (McDormand gets an Oscar if the movie wins too, since she's one of the producers).

The Dark Knight and abyzmul like this.
  5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Watched Sound of Metal yesterday. Thought it was fantastic.

Judas and the Black Messiah was basically incoherent to me.

Could not make it through One Night in Miami.

Trial of the Chicago 7 was decent.

Goin to try for Ma Rainey's Black Bottom next. Studied the play in college.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I thought it was really good. Haunting really. I learned a lot too. From all the films I have seen, I would give the best actress to Carrie Mulligan for Promising Young Woman, but both great performances.

I really liked Sound of Metal too. I thought Judas and the Black Messiah was good. Haven't seen the others, but hopefully I will check them out soon.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I finished the 4 hour Snyder Cut of Justice League last night. It was better than the theatrical cut of the film, but still kind of a mess to me. I am not a big fan of Zack Snyder's style and it clearly is his movie. He loves big fights, CGI, slow-motion, and it gets annoying (and boring) to me. It feels more like a video game than an actual film. Or a long tv show.

On the positives, some of the visuals are great. Cyborg and The Flash are fleshed out more as characters. The story flows a little better.

Still, I get why WB was unhappy with it. It is the opposite of Marvel films. Too dark. Not fun. Not properly written. And this was Snyder's third strike after a weak Man of Steel and okay at best Batman v. Superman.

It is unfortunate because I like all of the characters and most of the casting choices, so the blame goes directly to Snyder. They went down the wrong path with him. He has his fans, a vocal minority, but the average movie goer is ready for a new take.

8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I’m pumped for this Mortal Kombat HBO max release.

Poeman and The Dark Knight like this.
  9. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Saw Palm Springs tonight. It's a variation on Groundhog Day, but my wife and I thought it was clever and funny. Cristin Milioti (the mother in the final season of "How I Met Your Mother") did a particularly good job.

Also watched "The Last Cruise," the HBO documentary about the ill-fated COVID cruise ship Diamond Princess. It was mildly interesting to see all of the cell phone videos that were taken as things were happening, but ultimately I found it mostly boring and uninformative, not being much more than just that, a collection of cell phone videos.

#569 statjeff22, Apr 4, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    Poeman likes this.
  10. Cman68

Tried to watch the alternative "Justice League". Will try again once I can force myself to watch a movie in 4:3 after watching it the first time in HD 16:9. Not sure what the director was thinking but that old school format didn't help the movie at all.

Edit: Just watched Kong vs. Godzilla. Glad I caught it on HBO Max instead of the movies. Lots of CGI supporting a movie that honestly felt rushed. I'll be glad when the Covid era of movie making is over. First WW84 and now K vs. G. Wasn't overly impressed with either one. Basically time killers.

#570 Cman68, Apr 4, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    barfolomew likes this.
  11. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I agree with you Cman on waiting for this Covid era to end.
    Caught K vs G last night on Max also.
    I think it was a lot better than WW84 as far as entertainment value, but that still is not saying much.

Cman68 likes this.
  12. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

His daughters are gorgeous

13. thedonger

thedonger Active Member

The explanation I heard for the 4:3 format was that it was intended for imax.

14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

More than Michael Jordan?

15. Cman68

Kinda like the difference between a D and a D minus.

16. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

My cousin worked in a shoe store with him in Roosevelt Field, before he became famous

Cman68 likes this.
  17. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I thought Kong vs Godzilla was ok. Loved the special effects and the action sequences, but the story itself was weak.

The Dark Knight and Cman68 like this.
  18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Michael Jordan entertained Bull's fans. He mostly pissed the rest of us off. :)

19. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

I haven’t liked any of the HBO Max same day release. They are batting zero with me.

20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Same. The Denzel movie was a piece of shit. Kong was entertaining but it was mindless in story, etc..

I think Mortal Kombat is tonight.