General Film Talk Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That's a massive understatement. It turned "meta" into an artform and dressed it up as 100 other shows, it's great.

barfolomew likes this.
  2. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I'm right about the cuties though yeah?

3. abyzmul

Uhhhh YES.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Just caught up on WandaVision over the weekend. Anyone else watching? It is actually been pretty good and well made. The finale is this Friday and then The Falcon and the Winter Soldier premieres in 2 weeks.

5. abyzmul

I'm watching but not caught up yet, it's a good idea and well made. Without giving away spoilers, it seems like they are using the shows to advance phase 4.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

WandaVision is great. Falcon and the Winter Soldier doesn’t look interesting enough to get me to keep Disney +.

The Dark Knight and abyzmul like this.
  7. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I've been watching Costner in the series Yellowstone, pretty good series and Costner is really good in it.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Costner was really good in The Highwaymen also. When he gets gritty parts he handles them well.

The Dark Knight and The Waterboy like this.
  9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Not sure if anyone mentioned this one yet, but "Monster Hunter" was good. You guys might wanna give it a shot as its on PPV or for you pirates out there, easily downloaded. 1hr and 45mins of action. CGI was pretty good too. Not overly done at all.

10. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I'll have to wait for it to be on one of my streaming channels to try it again because I tried it from Redbox and could not get through the first 15 minutes. Maybe it was just my mood for the night because I got 2 movies and watched maybe 20 minutes total of both.

11. Cman68

Sounds like a bad night to me too. I think you'll like it. Milla Jovovich played her part well. Don't look for any academy awards from this movie. Just good time killing entertainment.

The Waterboy likes this.
  12. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'm excited for the Sopranos prequel. I really enjoyed the show and I hope this does it justice. Having Gandolfini's son play a young Tony should be really good.

The movie is called the Many Saint of Newark and it releases 9/24 on HBO Max as well as in theaters.

13. abyzmul

So... am I the only person on the planet that absolutely hated the Fifth Element? I even like most of the actors. Just could not get into that movie.

14. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Big fan of that movie, must have been 7 the first time i saw it. Still love it

15. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Watched "News of the World." Tom Hanks plays, well, Tom Hanks, as an 1870 Texan former Confederate captain. It is definitely s....l.....o.....w going for stretches of it, but when things happened they were interesting, and watching the central relationship build was reasonably compelling. Okay, not great.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'll have to catch this one at some point. Hanks was really good in Greyhound and I'd recommend it if you haven't seen it yet. He played a different Tom Hanks than he usually does and he did it well.

barfolomew likes this.
  17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I watched Coming to America (for the first time) and Coming 2 America this weekend. The original holds up really well. I thought it was hilarious. Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall did a great job together.

Some people waited 32 years for the sequel, but I waited about 32 minutes. It had some good moments, but did not come close to the original. They oddly focused on new characters instead of the ones that made the first film so good. The writing was all over the place. It was nice seeing the characters 30 years later. The film is also filled with cameos.

I'd give the original an A and the sequel a C.

bicketybam and barfolomew like this.
  18. Cman68

Is that a Covid "C"? Hard to produce a good movie when you have limitations as extreme as these are with the plague..

19. abyzmul

Well it's not like they were forced to shoot the movie in a barn with a bunch of CGI and actors playing their parts over Zoom. They shot with what looked like the same sets and locations, with almost all of the same stars plus a lot of people added on because they wanted to be part of the sequel. If anything, they had an even larger cast than the first movie.

The dropoff came with the writing, which is something that isn't limited by the pandemic. The writing was poor because the movie was basically a money grab for Eddie Murphy who has been doing money grab movies for over 20 years now.

The Dark Knight and Cman68 like this.
  20. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

The last movie I watched with Eddie Murphy in it was Shrek the Third. Before that it was Another 48 Hours back in 1990.

abyzmul likes this.