General Film Talk Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Saw it on the big screen. Good movie.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The Snyder cut of Justice League is being released in 2021. Hopefully it’s not as much of an abomination as the actual release was. I think it’ll be pretty good given the fact that Jason Mamoa and Ray Fisher have been pushing hard for its release.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I will watch it, but I was never a fan of Snyder's vision. Too dark, too serious, and honestly not done very well. Justice League was a mess, but it was more fun than all of Zack's other DC films. When you make Man of Steel, Batman v Superman and have a plan for Justice League, it should be allowed to be fully done, so I am excited to see what his true vision was. Same with Suicide Squad. Hopefully they let David Ayer put out his true version of that instead of the choppy mess we got.

4. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I really didn't like it. Watched half of the first episode and binned it. I wasn't totally shocked, gangster things rarely do anything for me.

5. The Dark Knight

K'OB likes this.
  6. The Dark Knight

One word: T E N E T.

I got lucky and was able to see a private screening of TENET. Loved it! Really fun and complex spy adventure similar to James Bond and Mission Impossible films. Great visuals and action. Not one of Nolan's best films, but that is because he has so many great ones. My favorite film of 2020. It was nice to be back in the theater, but I am not sure it is safe to go with general audiences yet.

7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I still think he was the best Batman tbh

8. The Dark Knight

Keaton and Bale are tied at the top for me, but Keaton was my Batman growing up. When I thought of Batman, I thought of him, which gives him the tiebreaker!

KWJetsFan and K'OB like this.
  9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

A very fair summation :D

10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Keaton and Bale are always going to be at the top of the lists by default of being the only two to be in good Batman movies that fans enjoyed.

Val Kilmer — terrible movie
    George Clooney — worse movie
    Ben Affleck — bad movies

And because Keaton’s and Bale’s performances are not only totally different, but the movies totally different, it’s hard to compare them. Ultimately, Keaton’s Batman catapulted the character into the box office juggernaut it is and is more iconic, even though Bale’s movie are arguably better films. That gives Keaton the nod for me.

KWJetsFan and The Dark Knight like this.
  11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

In retrospect, I think they all sucked. But nothing sucked worse than Clooney, playing himself as both Bruce Wayne and Batman.

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Saw TENET today.. Decent movie but not a great movie. It had action but the action, like almost everything in the movie, had to be explained by the characters in the dialogue. At some points, the movie went too far into the physics of the premise of the movie. If a person majored in theoretical physics at Cal Tech, they would be right at home following the plot. The actors IMO, had too much on their plates trying both to bring their characters to life and explain WTH they were trying to accomplish. It was good to go to the movies again. Because of the uncertainty of Covid-19 the theatre itself was empty for the most part. My theatre had 4 couples sitting far apart in separate rows. Popcorn was not fresh and refills were available but you had to get all new cups and buckets.

All in all, this is not a sustainable model for theatres to follow if they plan on staying in business and making a profit. Either allowable capacity will have to expanded OR prices will have to be increased. Things may never be the same at your local movie house ever again even after The Plague is over.

13. The Dark Knight

Borat is back! And only 3 weeks away. Can't wait!

14. JetBlue

Unfortunately the history of comedy sequels with long periods of time of release since the original doesn’t bode well for it.

15. The Dark Knight

Just finished watching it. It was okay. Had some funny moments but not as good as the original. Felt more like his show "Who is America?" than a Borat sequel.

16. JetBlue

You liked it more than I did. I thought it was brutally unfunny. The premise was weak, the scenarios he set-up were cheap, and his attempts to force reactions didn’t generate anything to laugh at.

if a young girl crashed a conference any normal human being was attending and started talking about how she just masturbated for the first time in front of any group, 100% of sane people would think she was crazy, had been abused or needs help. How that was supposed to reflect negatively on them stupid, old white ladies whose reaction to that we were supposed to laugh at when they showed a tremendous amount of sympathy for the girl in that scenario is beyond me.

Every scenario was of that same comedic quality.

I rewatched the first one last week and it’s as funny as I remembered it. And when you see the other filmmakers who got credits for the story and screenplay you see why it was so good. Both Jay Roach (Meet the Parents, Austin Powers) and Todd Phillips (The Hangover, Joker) were part of the creative team of the first movie.

17. The Dark Knight

Yeah, it was disappointing. It was not as cohesive as the original one either. I laughed a couple times though. I was thinking about Borat and how it has so many lines that you can quote and then thinking about how I don't remember a single line from Borat 2. Maybe it had to do with the writing, as you just pointed out.

18. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Not films, but I really enjoyed Jericho on netflix. I know I’m late to the party on that one, had never heard of it. Now watching the 100 which is pretty cool too.

19. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I'm having complete Halloween withdrawal today. I love spending the whole month watching classic, cheesy, new, old, good and bad horror movies. For some reason, as soon as the calendar changes over to November 1st, it's just different.

20. The Dark Knight

Wonder Woman 1984 premiering on HBO Max on Christmas day. Interesting decision, but it makes sense with the pandemic and also should help get some new subscribers for HBO Max. Either way, I am sure Warner Bros will lose money just like it did with Tenet.

zace likes this.