Gase Quotes From Today

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jeti, May 20, 2019.

1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Conversly,...don't let your anti-Gase bias prevent you from understanding that change is necessary.

I'll start worrying when we get rid of impactful players.

cval, NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I agree that long term it was better to keep Lee as we likely would get a better comp pick and we could make use of his coverage skills.

Conversely, I also agree that a 6th round pick is probably proper trade value. But, I will agree with you that Lee is of more value to us as a cover nickel lb and a future comp pick than a 6th rounder. The question is Lee's attitude. If it's bad I have no problem shipping him but if was willing to work with the coaches I hate the trade. Most likely this trade was done to get rid of a potential attitude problem and part of a Gases plan to take revenge on Mac by cutting his player.

Either way it's a good deal for Lee and KC. He goes to a 4-3 defense of a super bowl contending team and avoids what is looking like an ugly year in NY. It will be interesting to see how he does in the 4-3.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We weren't getting a comp pick for Lee. The Jets will have around $50 million spend in FA (including signing draft picks). They will sign players that will have prevented their getting a comp pick for Lee.

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

lol what anti-gase bias? i said i was happy with the signing (check my history if u don't believe me) and thought (and still think) he is the right guy for sam to progress him and to give us a good offense. I'm just judging what he's doing as a interim GM and not happy with it. that's why he failed in miami and he said he didn't want player control and still says it, yet here he is controlling the roster for no reason. change was necessary yes, we got that when we fired bowles. a GM change wasn't necessary and if we get someone better then mac, i'll be happy. Gase isn't a GM and shouldn't have a say in the roster and he already proved that in miami and is actively making our team worse every day not to mention we aren't getting our rookies signed. we need to get a GM in here ASAP to put gase back in his place

Ralebird and Noam like this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

that is not true at all. we don't have cap room next year and will lose more then we gain. lee was a guaranteed comp pick. I've already posted the math several times. we won't even have enough to keep all of our players. only way we can bring anyone in would be letting someone walk which evens out. lee didn't need a replacement while everyone else will so he was the guaranteed comp pick

Noam likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

i don't see a 6th rounder as worth it. as u said we'd get a better comp pick letting him walk. he's a young ILB who was a top 5 cover LBer and an above average overall LBer on a cheap final year of a rookie deal. we gave up a 5th for rashad robinson who wasn't half the player lee is and had more off field baggage. a 6th is a throwaway pick. lee would have contributed this year as a rotational player, a depth guy for injuries, and a situational package cover LBer for very little money and netted us a better pick when we let him walk. If gase did it out of spite, then we are in serious trouble

Ralebird and Noam like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Maybe it's not strictly "anti-Gase bias", but it's bias nonetheless. You admit as much when you say "a GM change wasn't necessary", showing that you're pissed that Macc was fired, and you blame Gase for it.

But if you're truly not biased, then you should be able to step back and absorb all of the reports only now coming out (finally!) about all the ways which Macc screwed up. Listen to this podcast from our main Forum page:

https://www.ganggreennation.com/201...-top-five-best-and-worst-mike-maccagnan-moves

and hear John B admit that coming up with an equal number of good and bad Macc moves was really hard - because there was so much to choose from among the BAD, and not very much among the good. And if you listen to it, you will hear that John B was really trying to not do a hatchet job, but trying to be fair and balanced - he even ended the show on Macc's most positive move, getting Darnold.

But given that his "bad" moves easily outnumbered his "good" moves, the only question that remains is: why did it take so long? We even have an answer for that: Chris admitted that he did not get that involved in the team and relied heavily upon Macc to keep him apprised, so that clears up that "mystery".

Aside from that, if you're really open-minded you can easily access any number of reports that point to Macc's shortcomings, some have been posted in this and other threads. Or, you can continue to close your eyes to it and be willfully ignorant about why Macc was fired.

As to: "is actively making our team worse every day" How? He traded a guy who Macc himself was looking to dump, the only difference being Macc overvalued him as #5 pick and Gase "gave him away!: for a #6. Hardly earth shattering. And if you believe we could've gotten more, then why wasn't Macc's offer taken? Sure, it's POSSIBLE that if we kept him he might've improved his value, but it's also possible he wouldn't. Not to mention he has a suspension coming up, and he's been known to have character concerns. Getting rid of him was "Addition by subtraction". How about cutting Leggett? Jeez! All that production gone! Uh, well, not really, And add in that he had a reputation as lazy, and was injured. Again, if you leave your anti-Gase glasses off, maybe you can see a pattern - NOT of making the team "worse", but of getting rid of problem players.

Perhaps it isn't simply "bias", but fear that Gase is again doing what he was REPORTED to have done in Miami, but so far all of the "evidence" is conjecture based on reputation, not facts. Take a step back. If you liked the Gase hiring (I did not), trust that he's the right HC, and as for his being ACTING GM, trust that it's only temporary. If none of that proves out after we've actually played some games, then I'll join you on the Dump Gase Train.

LarryAlRalph likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

Are you really using Macc's "value chart" to measure this? It should be clear by now that this was one of Macc's biggest problems - judging value.

And for whatever utilitarian purpose Lee MIGHT have served, if he was seen as a trouble maker - and his upcoming suspension, added to his previous problems show that to be true - Gase is right in getting rid of him and getting something for him.

9. GasedAndConfused

where is all this trouble maker nonsense? the dude was suspended 4 games at the end of last year for weed that doens't make him a trouble maker. i've nevr seen any reports of him having conflict with teammates or the coaching staff.

as far as value goes. we got a 2nd and a solid WR3 for richardson, probably above his value but lee's value isn't much lower then his was. other trades this year include a nobody kicker for a 7th, a 3rd string TE for a 7th, a solid RB for a 6th, golden tate for a 3rd. lee has more value then those plus younger and cheaper.

you can criticize macs pics but not his trades. he got anderson for a 7th, he got kearse and a 2nd for richardson, he got a 3rd for a QB he signed as insurance and didn't need, he got a probowl OG and a 6th round pick for a 5th. all of macs trades have been very slanted towards the jets benefit

10. GasedAndConfused

calling someone biased is honestly a lame ad hominem attack that shows you can't make any counterpoint so lets leave that stuff out. I don't have any bias towards anything (outside of hating tom brady but i still admit he's one of the best all time) I just want what's best for the jets and to see the team succeed.

I don't listen to podcasts. If you want to provide any of the good points in a post i'll listen. and i'm not saying that there isn't valid criticisms of mac or that he's perfect. and I fully agree that you can find legit reasons for him being fired. I'm not saying otherwise. cause the same could be said of every coach and GM in the NFL. like rex once said there are 2 types of coaches. those that have been fired and those that will be fired. same goes for GMs.

that isn't my point, mac is gone, what's done is done, and i'll be pulling for the FNG we hire and hope he's better then mac, my issue is gase taking control of the roster (even temporarily) there is no need for it, the roster can sit tight until we find a new GM. gase IMO is a liar at this point, he said he didn't want roster control, but as soon as he got it in a temporary situation he could have rang true to his word and not taken any action but nope trades 1 guy, signs 1 guy, cuts another. actions seak louder then words and this is exactly what gase did in miami to make the fins suck and get fired. he says the right things, but his actions don't show it. I'm not saying to fire him, i'm saying get a real GM in here ASAP and that i can't trust gase at this point. He may just be the worlds best BSer and if he is, we are in deep shit.

11. ColoradoContrails

I'll grant that trades were probably Macc's best suit, but that's a low bar to clear. I thought the Richardson trade was a good one, but there is no way that Lee, and is even close to Richardson. Come on. And while getting a 3rd for TB was a plus, I would've been more impressed with getting a 2nd - still not a bad trade.

As to the "troublemaker" I base that on my opinion that a guy who gets caught breaking a rule that everyone knows is tested for, and winds up getting suspended is causing trouble for his team. And who knows if he's really changed from the guy that Leo had to drag away from attacking somebody at a party before he even played a down for the team? I'm going to trust Gase's judgement as a HC who has had a chance to see things first hand, and has decided Lee wasn't worth much.

12. ColoradoContrails

Saying you have a bias is certainly not an ad hominem attack. We all have biases, and need to be on the lookout for them if we want to remain open enough to learn things. I believe you are showing a bias against Gase because you don't agree with Macc being fired, and Gase's track record. I'm not saying you're crazy for being concerned, but I'm saying you should be open to other interpretations.

I usually don't listen to podcasts either - don't have the time to spend on them, and many of them are like guys sitting at a bar drinking and spouting their unfocused opinions, and I have to force myself to wade through the drivel to hear their (alleged) point, so I don't blame you for not wanting to listen. I just included it because it shows that the host was really trying to give a balanced view of Macc's record. The main point though is that his record is way out of balance to the negative side.

As to "Gase taking control", maybe he did, but from what we KNOW, Chris asked to step in until someone permanent could be found. In fact, there IS a need for a GM right now. You yourself noted that there are rookie contracts to be dealt with, as well as looking to see if there are any waiver claims, or trades to make. You can't have no one in the GM's chair, and you know that. Hopefully Gase's time in it is very short. He has a lot to do just being a new HC to a team, and the more moves he has to make as GM it will only create more speculation about "power grabs" and other conspiracy theories which the Jets don't need.

All I'm trying to counsel is some patience and not getting hysterical over media click bait. Gase done nothing yet that's franchise-altering. Until he does - in a bad way - I'll wait and see what happens.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

not saying lee should net that much, but just saying worse case we would get a 4th round 2021 comp pick for him. mac was holding out (according to reports) for a 5th rounder in 2020 (which is equal) as soon as mac was gone, gase gave him away for less value. there is a reason miami sucked with gase which he self admitted. I would have kept lee and let him walk and get the comp pick. not to mention with injuries we could have moved him before the deadline for more with a desperate team.

and for troublemaker, how many people get popped with that rule? it's not like the NFL is full of brain surgeons. you got guys like ricky williams that quit, or that dallas DE that retired. zeke is still getting trouble. hunt beat up a girl in a hotel lobby and got suspended 8 games. we aren't dealing with the class acts of the world. getting popped and suspended 1 time in a 3 year career (which only helped us all things considered since we were tanking at the time) is hard to call him a trouble maker, or by your definitions 90% of the NFL is.

14. GasedAndConfused

ad ho·mi·nem
    [ˌad ˈhämənəm]
    ADJECTIVE
    1. (of an argument or reaction) directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.

yes it is. the 2nd you talk about the person and not the info, it's ad hominem. even if for whatever reason you say we all have biased and say i'm 100% biased as fuck and hate gase for whatever crazy reason, you should still stick to the points i'm making becuase nothing i said isn't out of the realm of possibility. it's not like the clear bias people have and leo being fat or sharon lee sucking when they are both good players.

I 100% don't agree with mac being fired, i never said otherwise. but i don't hold that against gase. he doens't have that power. that is CJ telling his brother you think you can fuck up the jets? hold my beer.

I said i like gase, as a coach. seriously look at my history. i said he did wonders in miami with shit QBs and shit talent and even peyton manning at 36 years old had a career year with gase and every QB he's coached has loved him. I love the gase hire as a coach. But even gase admitted he fucked up wanting player control and won't do that here and that is why he was fired. I was all on board for it. so why is gase altering the roster now? and i understand someone neds to be in the chair, but doens't mean they need to act. i mean if he wanted the chair why not start signing our rookies? do something productive. not ship away talent at clearance sale prices and make random cuts and sign a punter the 1 position we don't need competition lol.

15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'd bet Lee's attitude is what got him gone.

Hey...like mentioned earlier...he's going to a great team, with a defensive scheme that suits his play.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

yup he's totally not wanting power

https://www.forums.theganggreen.com...ms-of-non-involvement-ag-fires-another.92428/

BacktoQueens likes this.
  17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Why is this "wanting power"?

Gase is currently in charge until a new GM is hired. Until then, you want him to sit on his hands and not progress through the Offseason preparing for the 2019 year?

Mac is gone. A new replacement is being sought out. Until then, Gase will continue moving forward as planned.

19. GasedAndConfused

he literally should not be doing anything roster wise. by his own admission. let the new GM come in and clean house and he should be watching film and designing a scheme for sam. he's spending time away from coaching duties to fire random scouts, trade players, cut players, and oh our rookies, still not even negotiating lol

Gase: I don't want power or roster control i learned my lesson in miami.
    **mac gets fired, gase becomes intereim GM**
    Also Gase: you're fired, you're fired, you're fired, you're traded

I don't care about the scout, or legget, or lee for that matter (think it's dumb but lee was gone after this season regardless and we have a better player in his place already) it's more of gase saying 1 thing and doing another that he worries me he is going to undermine the whole organization and fuck us up

BacktoQueens and Jets69 like this.
  20. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

My point is they replaced him with a scrub .who got hurt. Gase does not believe in the need for an o-line.