Gase Quotes From Today

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jeti, May 20, 2019.

1. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I think this is the right approach. Its quickly become his team, and he wants to win now. If they underperform CJ should jettison him in December. But I think with minicamp Gase seen what he has in Sam, seen that his defense is going to be solid and the schedule is favorable so he moved quickly to get Mac fired because he wanted full credit for the revival.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

what is the point of drafting guys who are not a fit for what the coach wants to do? The GM is not out there calling plays on Sunday.

#82 jdon, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
    NYJetsO12, Jeti and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Do you have a link for his agent saying that he was ready to sign a contract with the Jets that never came?

I think you are choosing to believe one speculation over another speculation and treating that as fact.

4. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Well if that's true then I've just joined the ranks of those pissed at Mac for not signing him. I read some material here back at the time that he simply chose Carolina over the Jets (and perhaps other suitors) because the money was close and he was more comfortable living in that area. I had myself been giving Mac and the Jets a complete pass on that issue because in my mind if you offer the checkbook and the guy just wants to live somewhere else what are you going to do?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This.

At the end of the season, before everyone goes home, the HC should do a top to bottom analysis of the roster going forward, identify weaknesses, identify needs, and put his report on the desk of the GM, who spends the next 6 months making it happen.

The 'vision' of the final product, the team that will be on the field and the schemes that will be run, should come from the HC.

It's the GM's job to get the type of players the HC needs to have success.

Now, if the BPA (Quinnen this year) is a position the HC never identified as a 'need', this is where the GM earns his stripes and drafts Quinnen anyway, before turning his attention to the team's other needs in the rest of the draft.

NYJetsO12, Ralebird, Jeti and 2 others like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Agreed. If a GM feels a particular player is a "can't miss" superstar, and he has a chance to get him, then if you trust your GM - and the fact that he's in the draft room means you haven't fired him, so there's at least implied trust - you give the GM the latitude to go "off script". But as we're learning with Macc, he was never "on script", except for his own BPA script.

Q. Williams had BETTER be that "monster", or he'll just go down as yet another of Macc's BPAs who were above average, but not franchise-altering.

NYJetsO12, Footballgod214 and Jeti like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with this with one caveat. HCs can often have a short-term vision for the team. After all, at least traditionally they have more pressure to field a winner sooner. This may be changing, but GMs have traditionally been given more latitude, and they have been charged with having more of a long-term vision for the team. The two visions can come into conflict, and there can only be one "winner." This is where they either have to share the same vision, or there has to be some give and take, some compromise if the two are going to work together well.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Gase has already done what Bowles was unwilling to do. Not roll over for Mac. Great offseason so far.

9. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

I dunno, man. Petty personal vendettas like that are way down on the list of the things you have to do to be and remain successful. There's neither time nor room for what's at best a residual benefit, if indeed anything at all. What the Jets faithful want is success on the field, and soon. That won't come from practicing politics.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think it's about his getting full credit for the revival. I think all the conspiracy theories and character assassination of Gase are sad and waaaaaaaaaaay over the top.

#90 NCJetsfan, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Acad23 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

To your second point, Gase has opened himself up to criticism like that with his history of questionable moves that appears may have followed him the NYJ. But it's New York and no matter what one does there will be criticism. We all hope he's learned from mistakes made in the past, and if so, great. Anyway, it's all in his hands now. If he's successful in turning the Jets around on the field, all the rest will be quickly forgotten. All we can do is wait.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Exactly right. Johnson fired Mac. Johnson wanted the GM and Head coach to report to him independently. Johnson hired both of them independently. The idea that this is on Gase is stupidity. Did Gase question Mac, I'm sure he did. That's what supposed to happen. Young actually made Parcells the HC of the Giants and Parcells tried to gut him anyway. They won a SB together before Parcells left. The owner didn't give a shit that Parcells was trying to undermine the GM.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Woody hired Macc Chris hired Gase that is really what this all about. He needed to justify firing Macc to Woody and there you have it. The new GM will also be Chris's guy so no conflict.

14. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The problem reported with Paradis and the Jets were the same problem many teams had his medical issues. No team was allowed to have their doctor examine Paradis until the new league year began on the Wednesday. He signed with Carolina who essentially took a chance buying him sight unseen. If he waited until Wednesday he likely would have gotten more interest and more money if healthy.

I really wanted Paradis or Morse but I have a hard time being critical of the FO for not making Morse the NFLs highest paid center or buying Paradis without a medical. Instead I can appreciate them showing some financial discipline. Things would have worked a lot better if the center we seemed to be targeting in the draft lasted a few more picks. But, this is not a one year rebuild. We can hopefully add to the OL next year.

#94 Noam, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    FJF likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

yes. injuries happen and value goes up during the season. keeping him was very little cap and good depth as well in case mosely or williamson went down. not to mention we'd get a betetr comp pick then a 6th for letting him walk. this is a move that literally made 0 sense for the jets.

Noam likes this.
  16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Unless you want to send a message that mediocrity is no longer accepted.

I'm tired of the excuses.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

he's far from mediocre and even if that is the case, being demoted to back-up already sends that message.

Ralebird likes this.
  18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

That trade was already in the works Gase just pulled the Trigger. I hope he consulted GW before shipping him off.

19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Maybe mediocre is the wrong word.

Is "useless" any better?

20. GasedAndConfused

it wasn't in the works. it was denied by mac because he was holding out for a better pick. mac is gone and gase shipped him off way under valued. any way you look at it, it's a shit trade

if you are going to make insane comments like that, you are really hurting your credibility.