Gase in 2021

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Dec 27, 2020.

?

Will Gase be the HC next year?

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    20.2%
  2. No

87 vote(s)
    79.8%
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

With all due respect - and I do mean that - you need to expand your imagination.

Had Gase been able to improve the performance of Darnold - which was the primary reason he was hired! - and installed a system that maximized the skills and abilities of his players, rather than trying to force them all to learn his "system (whatever THAT is!), and could make in-game adjustments, and used the very best players he had, instead of trotting out a washed up, over-the-hill RB, and hadn't alienated the best players on the team, causing two to get themselves traded, and one to simply sit out the season, he might well have gotten better results. Surely you can imagine even the most average of HCs to be able to do that?

Gase is THE worst HC I've ever seen. He's in so far over his head he'll get the bends when he finally does float to the surface. His work with Manning was a complete mirage, due entirely to Manning being one of the smartest QBs in the game. I understand trying to be "fair and balanced", but sometimes a pile of horseshit is just a pile of horseshit.

cmcm750203, K'OB, Ralebird and 3 others like this.
  2. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

The skills and abilities of what players? The receivers? Crowder is a good receiver (not great) who often has difficulty getting separation as do all the receivers on the Jets. Perriman is just a piece of crap. Mims is a rookie who hasn't played in half the games. The running backs? After they let Bell go the Jets were left with a 37 year old Gore finishing out his career as the best RB on the squad. The point I'm trying to make is you have a team whose skills and abilities are so far below the average NFL team, I don't believe any other coach would have done a better job. I think we can all agree that as much as we loved Darnold when he was drafted, he is not going to be Mahomes and that's why I think so many here are disappointed. However, if we compare him to other QB's drafted around the same time, I think he is as talented as any of them except maybe Jackson. Take Watson for example, after a great start, his team has suffered as a result of injuries proving you have to have the personnel to win and the QB can't do it alone . Now that I've said my piece, please tell me which games on the schedule this year the Jets absolutely should have won and didn't?

Pepsiguy5 and Jets69 like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

What players? How about the OL? How about the misuse of the TEs and RBs? Yes, it's clear that Bell was not his All Pro former self, but he was far from washed up, and Gase - because he made no secret of his hatred of that signing - refused to use him in any ways that took advantage of his abilities...Bell is a GREAT pass catching back, and how many times was he used like that? And how many times did Gase employ a 2 RB set with Montgomery to try and confuse the defense?

How about you give me players that Gase actually improved?

As for which games they might have won with a competent HC? I'd say both Bills games, Denver, Arizona, the first Patriots game, the Raiders, and they should've made the games against Miami at least competitive - I mean the Dolphins sucked as badly as they did last year.

It's clear neither of us will agree with the other, so I know you'll dismiss all of this, but I figured I owed you an answer.

4. westiedog1

I appreciate it.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Your really not wrong Westie.

I'd strongly prefer a new coaching staff going forward myself though.

westiedog1 likes this.
  6. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

Gase is a horrible coach and probably an even worst human being, That being said if he beats New England , somehow he wins 3 straight and should have won 4 of his last 5 games. If JD decides to keep Sam, I could see the Johnsons keeping Gase. The wrong choice, but i could see it

WarriorRB28 likes this.
  7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Is the team holding together because of Gase, or in spite of Gase? I take the apparent unity as a credit to the guys on the team, not a coach who treats injured players as pariahs.

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

You are spot on. Don't apologize. Gase could end up an example of ignorant Jet fans running a talented HC out of town. It's a no win situations...the fans you're discussing this with really have zero clue. They wouldn't know a good HC if he slapped them upside the head. These are the same fans who were pissed when we didn't hire MacCarthy, who went on to coaching a depleted Cowboys team into oblivion. There may have been a better HC who coulda coached a terrible Jets team in a terrible situation into a few more wins. But I doubt it.

There's so much to like about Gase over the last 2 seasons but all I hear is "He ran with Frank Gore, and He failed to make 1/2 time adjustments". Not sure what 1/2 time adjustment they wanted Gase to make. Stop throwing to Perriman (when Perriman was actually playing) and throw more to Herndon so we could watch Herndon drop even MORE passes? I mean, really. How many pass plays are drawn up to be fully executed in under 1 second with the QB running for his life. Especially ALLLLLL of 2019 and the first half of 2020. Sam Darnold had the WORSE oline and the LEAST amount of time to throw per pass than any other QB in the league, yet it's all Gase's fault. The Same Gase who ran MacCagnan out of town for ignoring the oline (yet again) in order to pay huge $$$$$ to FA players having nothing to do with the oline. And we can thank Gase for Joe Douglas too, the first GM who seems to have a clue.

Look, there's a probably a lot of HCs that can coach the Jets to success, especially after JoeD rebuilds our oline and brings in real weapons on offense (FINALLY). So letting Gase go isn't really that big a deal, but calling him the WORSE HC EVER is very wrong. If Gase goes on to coach a different team to success, all the fans back here will be like "oh..oh...well...Gase still sucks". lol.

westiedog1 likes this.
  9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Did Gase end up a victim of ignorant Dolphin's fans running a talented head coach out of Miami?

I guess we can expect to be surprised when the list of all the things to like about Gase over the last two seasons is written.

cmcm750203 and Footballgod214 like this.
  10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I hear ya. But his Dolphin team regularly beat our team let by Theodor Bowels. I'm pretty sure Gase outplayed us the 3 years he was there. Plus I think Gase got his fish to the PO once? not sure....But as far as Tannyhill doing better in Tennessee, Derrick Henry might have little something to do with it.

westiedog1 likes this.
  11. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

If I was Gase I would call up his old boss Nick Saban and get on a staff either at Bama or another prominent college program.

His offensive system needs to be modernized.

12. westiedog1

Thank you for this post. I feel a little like the Henry Fonda character in "12 Angry Men" defending the seemingly "guilty" Gase alone and you come along lending support.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  13. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Great but only if we are winning 8 or 9 anyway :)

14. K'OB

Disgraceful post

Yet you fail to list any

But his team stats continue to say strongly he is.

He won't and nothing will ever change the fact he sucked while at the jets

Ralebird and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Respectfully, Have you watched any jets football the last 2 years? It is hard to watch the incompetence and lack of management. Literally there a handful of games we have looked like legit nfl franchise. We are laughing stock of the nfl. Well Gase has a lot to do with that. The offense close to worst in the league! And numbers are pitiful! The d decent at times. But undermanned. The leadership of Gase has been putrid at best, his press conferences are comedy, he blames everyone else, he is just obviously not a good coach, and the results prove it! Fans may be a bit over dramatic, but it is what it is. Gase will go down as one of worst coaches in jet and nfl history. I wouldn’t bet a penny that he leaves jets for success, not to wish bad. I suppose if he made major changes to himself he could rebound. But not confident of that. He talks a good game, but is a fraud. I will literally be cracking open a new bottle of crown on Sunday to celebrate his lame ass being fired! Happy new year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#115 Sack exchange, Jan 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  16. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I want Harbaugh as the next coach. Let him pick the next QB or keep Darnold, his choice. I think if we picked Penei Sewell OT, and Landon Dickerson C, we could have a stellar OL for the next decade. Plus we might be able to trade back and get another pick or two. Darnold would finally have a good coach and a good OL.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If I could take all the things I disliked from our past 10 OCs and wrap them up into one person, it would be Adam Gase. He was brought into the Jets to develop Sam Darnold and to bring a fresh young approach to offensive philosophy and all he did was overcomplicate the offense and confuse the QB. Adam Gase himself admitted this week that he failed to develop Sam Darnold.

He consistently fails to put his players in position to succeed, he consistently attacks the strengths of defenses, he consistently and repeatedly uses plays that have a low percentage of success in his primary offensive attacks. I won't get into his offensive stats because a 10 year old could look those up and understand them.

My primary motivation for wanting the Jets to keep Sam Darnold and give him his shot is Adam Gase-related. Gase was supposed to develop Ryan Tannehill for the Dolphins and failed, and almost the moment that Tannehill got away from Gase's influence he flourished with a different team and received MVP attention even though he only started halfway through the 2019 season.

I'm not telling anyone anything new here, this is all common knowledge. Which is why people who are defending his tenure with the Jets look like lunatics in their efforts. I do know a few Dolphins fan who were on the fence about him after 2018 when he was fired, but those same people just laugh at the Jets now because it became so obvious how bad he was by his continued dumbfuckery with their division rival. He is not defensible as a head coach here or anywhere else.

18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

8-22 screams 5 year extension. If the Jets are to continue being the SOJ's, we have to keep Adam Gase several more years to finish the teardown. The Jets still have a pulse so, Gase's job isn't finished yet.

19. K'OB

I think people are concerned about paying for this OL at the end of the rookie contracts?

I am not sure what pro bowl level OL talents receive but I would think LT would be high and if we are going to piss Becton off by moving him to RT he will end up with the same wage as Sewell.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Harbaugh is one of the few coaches in the world that can turn down and NFL head coaching job and know that there will be another job out there waiting for him next year.

I'd imagine he wants to improve his stock one more year at Michigan so he can get a big long term deal in the NFL with more team control that he probably won't get if he makes a move this year.

He also has his best recruiting classes maturing into juniors and seniors next year and his first recruited quarterback to start with a full year in his system.