Gase and Bell spoke both Wednesday and Thursday

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetsclaps, May 17, 2019.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I don't think there's a single person currently in 2019 saying that the Jets are not mismanaged or they are managed competently... that was never my argument. The point is it's not like Bell had a great experience with the Steelers and there are a lot of players who have spoken out against the franchise in one way or another.

CBG and CotcheryFan like this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Bell was an elite RB. Now he's two years older than when he last played. He's also a year removed from football. And unlike many other players, he doesn't love football enough to be irrational about it. Finally, he's a very patient RB used to waiting behind a strong OL who opened holes from him. I.e. not Chris Ivory. With our OL those holes may never open up. Considering if Darnold is the real deal, you can get good production at RB with a lesser investment, and if Darnold isn't the real deal we're screwed anyway, I can understand why Gase didn't want him.

CBG likes this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

This is based on basically nothing. Had to stop here.

4. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Basically it’s his first test. Is he going to be an arrogant prick or has he learned from Miami? Only Belichick can get away with demanding to his players that its his way or the highway. The other 31 teams have to deal with reality. Also he has a top 3 runningback not like we overpaid for like Leonard Fournette or someone not as great.

5. HomeoftheJets

He held out a year. There are players who would never hold out because they love football too much.

6. BroadwayAaron

I don't think conflating the two is accurate.

Ralebird likes this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

I think it is. Note that I didn't say Bell doesn't love football. I said he doesn't love football enough to be irrational about it. Which means in this case ruling out holding out even if that's what he thinks is best for him. Regardless, if you don't agree, I gave a few other reasons Gase may not want Bell.

8. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with Bell holding out. As a RB in the NFL he has to know that he's a short timer and with his demonstrated skills wanted to get paid while he can still walk. It's the same with all RB's in the NFL, the difference is that Bell had the skills to leverage what he wanted. The problem I have with Bell relates to Darnold. The focus of this team should be him. He needs to take charge and be the leader of this team. A high profile guy like Bell is going to suck up so much oxygen, it will be very difficult for Darnold to assume the mantle of leader. Add to this, reports that the reason Bell left Pittsburgh was because he didn't like being subordinated by Roethlisberger and you have a cause for concern. And now, with the firing of Maccagnan and the elevation of Gase, you have another center of gravity on the team that will make it even more difficult for Darnold.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I don't believe for a minute that Gase doesn't love having Bell. My take is when Mac didn't sign Paradis and signed Bell, Gase likely said, you dumb shit you overpaid for a running back and let the guy who blocks for him walk out the door.

10. BroadwayAaron

If Gase thinks we overpaid for Bell then we sure as hell better not be hiring any of his friends to be the GM.

11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I don't think he does. I think it's a bullshit rumor at worse and at best taken out of context. I think he hated not getting a center.

Cman68 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

Who knows though because Manish (although it's Manish) reported he didn't want to spend big money on a center which lines up with the stories out of Miami about how he didn't want to spend on the Dolphins OL in 2016.

13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

In 2016 Miami ranked 18th in rushing attempts and 9th in rushing yards. 4.5 per attempt. They went 10 and 6 and made the playoffs. Ajayi had his best year by miles. Maybe he was right?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Lol at all the worry worts on here

The Jets went 10-6 with clueless/sightless Todd Bowles..and just missed a playoff spot

This HC knows what hes doing and is not afraid to get what he wants...you have to like that going forward imo

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Again, for the "King of Sources", where's your source for your claim?

16. BroadwayAaron

2016 offseason I meant... so I guess technically 2017 even though their offseason started in 2016. Their running game ended up being abysmal in 2017. Good thing Gase ran Ajayi out of town halfway through the year and chose to pursue veteran tight ends over bolstering the OL.

17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I'll split the difference with you. He was King Kong in 2016 and Zippy the Chimp in 2017. Hopefully he's King Kong again in 2019.

18. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

every player in the NFL knows their tea, would rather pay them less. This happens in every single negotiation. Its complete nonsense to think Bell wont perform because hes hutt hurt that maybe someone in teh FO wanted to pay him less. Yea no shit. Botoom line is he got paid and now hes gonna play football

19. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

This doesn't mean anything to me, I will wait till one of that actual individuals involved admit to this level of communication. I hate articles like this, it's annoying.

20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

My God, get over yourself. If you are unable to recognize a little levity, at least recognize the word "probably,"