Game of Thrones HBO Weekly Discussion (Enter at your own risk of Spoilers.)

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by gustoonarmy, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

im in the middle of it right now...ive been told that the books gets worse and worse as it moves on.

Books 4 and 5 were such a clusterfuck

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think books 4 and 5 were only written to give him time to work on the HBO series, honestly. If it weren't for HBO, we'd probably be reading Winds of Winter right now.

BTW, Dance gets better once the timeline catches up with Feast, uncoincidentally.

3. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

GRRM has said he has about 100 pages of the next book complete (leftovers from his writing for ADWD). He has also said he isn't even starting until January. Even if he writes quickly, I wouldn't expect the next book before the end of 2013. More likely 2014-2015 release.

4. abyzmul

Heh, well he also told us that Dance was going to be out a year after Feast was, and we saw how that turned out. I still think he has had Winds of Winter done for a while, and is going to strategically release the new book right after the next season of the HBO series ends. He's not a dummy, he's been in show business since the 70s. He's going to be a very rich man.

5. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

okay i guess im near the start of the 5ht book then...How much longer till i get to where it catches up to Feast?

6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I have no idea how HBO will just sit back though...But i am hearing if the show continues this path of excellence that it will split up the seasons or books.

I hope not, because this show needs to be 7 seasons

7. abyzmul

Can't remember offhand, I think I recall there being a couple/few hundred pages where the storylines merge at the end.

8. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

The first three books went down like candy. I'm just starting Feast, and all I can think is "filler..." I guess Feast and Dance were originally supposed to be one book?

I liked the suspense the narrator shifts created in the first three books. Some amazing shit happens at The Wall, you turn the page... SANSA "Fuck! Fuck you, Sansa!" That's all well and good, though, those chapter-to-chapter cliffhangers. But I'm having a hard time giving a shit about the Iron Isles when there's whole crews of Unsullied and undead wreaking havoc a full volume away.

9. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

The last book I finished was Dietrich's "The Dakota Cypher" it was a struggle, Ethan Gage is getting old with me. Great first few books in the series, but this one was not. I hope he can get things back on track with the Barbary Pirates.

#709 hiker, Dec 13, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  10. Odd Neck Stems

11. abyzmul

He's a Jets/Giants fan. He spent all of last year and the year before, during football season, talking about the Jets and Giants in his blog. It infuriated the online contingent of overweight wizard-costume-wearing fantasy nerds to no end because ADwD had yet to come out.

12. Odd Neck Stems

Haha, that's pretty awesome. I had no idea.

13. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

My biggest problem with the show (and I enjoyed it) is that GRRM has stated in the past that he stopped doing TV and started writing this book, with the thought that, you can write in any amount of characters and special effects that you want, and there is no budget to stop you. he can create a huge world and the only thing holding him back so far is his inability to write the books. I'm not sure if the show will succeed, as there are only going to be more and more characters introduced into the story. Wildlings, Stannis's crew, Dondarrion and the brothers without a banner, Thoros of Myr, not to mention the bunch of Free Cities that Dany will eventually visit. No way HBO can afford it.

14. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Sacrifices will need to be made to keep the same level of interest with the key characters or other big players.

They can do away with alot of the nonsense in Dorne in Book 4

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It was a great series for two books and ok in the third. I have to admit I got about 100 pages into A Feast for Crows when it came out and haven't picked it up since then.

Some concepts are really wonderful when they are fresh and get progressively staler after that until they're pretty bad. The Dune series was like that also.

16. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

The last 200 pages of Feast are actually pretty damn good...Book 3 is the best of the series

17. abyzmul

18. Jetskees

Jetskees New Member

Ok in the third?? Goddamn I loved that book, best of the series for sure imo.

19. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

they may go down the route of the Walking Dead and veer away from the source material to some degree at least.

20. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

We should get him to post here.