Game of Thrones HBO Weekly Discussion (Enter at your own risk of Spoilers.)

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by gustoonarmy, Apr 15, 2011.

1. ........

........ Trolls

We'll see, but given that the first 15 minutes are pitch perfect and it's getting rave reviews so far, I'd say you may be getting a lot of dissent on here.

2. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

There is no such thing as a pointless rape.

3. 624

624 Banned

edit fills

#23 624, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  4. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Well, you haven't read the books. I would guess that many of those who have read them, will be watching, and there are a lot who have read them. Granted, they need to also produce it in a manner that helps bring in the viewers who have not read them.

"The Plot" is essentially about power, who has it, who is losing it, and what they will do for it. The Westeros universe is very expansive, and the whole climatic build up to an epic war between mankind and the "others" is a long, long way off.

If nothing else, you got copious amount of violence and tits.. so even if you felt it was lacking anything else, that should have been enough for you. :lol:

Of course, if you are quoting Little Miss Sunshine, this series might not be your cup of 'joe.

5. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

On in 5 minutes...

6. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

You guys furiously masturbating?

7. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

People who haven't read the books might feel like they've been thrown into the middle of a story and have no idea what's going on. But since I have, screw 'em. I loved it.

8. ........

........ Trolls

Ditto. The band Oasis can go choke on that giant cock they have in their mouths. It was fantastic. The books DO throw you into the middle plotwise. Hopefully it'll keep and grow viewers. The nice part is, with HBO On Demand, as buzz grows, people will be able to catch up. I thought it was great, as did the wife.

9. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

I thought they did a pretty good job with the first episode with having to introduce so many characters and plot lines. Most of the things I didn't like are book nerd criticisms, the Lannisters especially didn't look anything like I pictured them when reading the books.

As a normal viewer I think the Dothraki/Dany stuff is going to be rough especially since it's so disconnected from the rest of the characters. With such limited screen time it felt like they spent a bit too much time on this part of the story.

10. ........

........ Trolls

My one complaint was that her wedding night didn't go the same way. I suppose they're saving some character development for the Khal.

11. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Great first episode, in my opinion. There was so much to introduce, but they turned it out pretty well. I enjoyed most of the characters and how they came out. Save maybe Cersei. And I don't know about Jon Snow. In the books he was one of my faves, but I guess we gotta give him some room to grow. And although I even knew what was coming next, I thought it was a great place to end the episode, and I was still like whooah! I guess seeing it on TV was even a little rattling.

12. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Absolutely amazing...Just watched it after the fucking joke that was the Knicks game.

Damn this show is filmed beautifully...Also, Daenarys is hot! love the set-up and I hope this show becomes a major hit

13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I thought it was epic! I haven't read the books though, so I am still a little confused. Done very well. I think the moral lesson of episode 1 was listen to your mother.

14. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I thought it was rather ponderous. Was very excited for the premier and ultimately was let down.

15. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

I guess it was made only for those that read the books. I am quite confused as to what the opening sceen had to do with the rest of it.

The rest of the episode kind of wove into a mid-evil soap opera, Fine I get that, It is called a "game of thrones". So i guess that works.

16. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

I love boobies.

17. ........

........ Trolls

*Spoilers*

Have you read the books? For as much info as they had to reveal in the first episode, for as many characters as we had to catch a glimpse of, I thought it was handled quite deftly, especially with some of the more subtle and nuanced characterizations. These books are 3rd person with a limited omniscience based on the central character of each chapter. They had to somehow weave all of that together and allow characters to reveal themselves. Think about everything we saw and what we learned:

The Wall - Only that there are men there who swear an oath to remain there and that some "Others" live beyond it.

Lord Stark - Strong sense of duty and honor, both to the seven kingdoms and to his own family history. A reluctant hero.

Catelyn Stark - Still somewhat uncomfortable in Winterfell. We learn through her that there are different Gods to which people pray. The old Gods and the new. Loves her husband truly. Brother-in-law may have been poisoned; her sister fears for the king.

Benjen Stark - Brother to Ned. They don't seem particularly close, no embrace when they meet. He wears the black, recognizes it's a hard life.

Jon Snow - Bastard son of Ned. Hates being a bastard, is ready to run off to don the black, but demonstrates a clear connection to his siblings, especially Bran and Arya.

Bran Stark - Climbs everything. Learn almost his entire story right here.

Arya Stark - Tomboy. Cares not for the graces of the court.

Sansa Stark - Only cares for herself and the graces of the court. In love with that ugly little bitch Prince Joffrey just because he's a prince.

Prince Joffrey - Ugly little smug shit.

King Robert - Fat, drunk, whoring. Can't run his own kingdom, was in love with Ned's sister and wanted to marry her before her death. Needs Ned to run it for him as the new HotK.

Cersei - Cunt. Lena Headey was fantastic and subdued with that Lannister pride oozing out of her. Not quite how I pictured her looks wise, but she plays the part well. Loathes her husband. Loathes the Starks. Loooooves her twin brother.

Jaime Lannister - Also a proud Lannister. Also loooooves his twin sister. Great warrior. Will do anything to keep his power/position.

Tyrion Lannister - Drunk and whoring dwarf, but absolutely clever (the scene with Jon Snow). Underestimated by those around him AND those who have merely heard of him.

Viserys Targaryen - Snot nosed pompous prick. Would sell out his own sister to regain the throne Robert took from his family. Sniveling and stupid, needs to appeased at every turn. Illyrio seems to poke fun at him without his understanding. Connection to dragons by his own tongue.

Danaerys Targaryen - Young, timid, controlled completely by her brother out of fear. Still, steels herself, has a glimpse of inner strength (bath scene). As I said, they didn't handle her first time with Drogo how the book does, but this development for the two of them may be interesting.

Khal Drogo - Warrior. Never defeated. Quiet, even with his own people, but clearly in command. Small bit of a softer side shown when he dries D's tears, doesn't take her like the women of the khalasar, but not much of one. Lust for violence at wedding.

Khalasar - Followers of the Khal. Violent, primal. Fuck in the midst of the crowd, fight wordlessly over women. Vastly different than the regal attitude Viserys feels he possesses.

All that in under an hour, and all done through the course of story. They laid the groundwork for the majority of characters in the novel, the overarching twin plots, and even gave us glimpses of people like Sandor Clegane (liked the Hound helmet), Maester Luwin, Theon Greyjoy, Sir Jorah...

I thought it was well done. You're not going to get that many new characters at once in any given episode throughout the rest of it, and both basic plotlines are well established. It did EXACTLY what it needed to do. Satisfied me as a reader of the books, and laid basic groundwork for those who aren't in the know. If they stick with it, I'm sure it's going to get a lot easier next week.

18. ........

........ Trolls

It wasn't. They just had a lot to deal with in ep. 1. The opening scene will make more sense as soon as Jon departs for The Wall. It's not really a soap opera, although I can see how a show heavy in characters and intrigue could come across that way. I didn't think it was melodramatic enough to be considered that, and it certainly shouldn't be going forward.

19. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

what's the Tit rating for this show?

20. colleen74

colleen74 Member

Hubs and I gave it a shot hoping for something to rival Spartucus. It didn't really deliver.