GAC Studs and Duds - Week 5 NYJ vs ATL 2021

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Oct 11, 2021.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

That's because that'll never be said by any player. Of course there is 0 way to prove they were gassed, but you can see on the film and body language and mental errors players normally don't make. Your argument was that we were outschemed and ulbrich called a bad game, but offered 0 proof outside of 1 beat writer and 1 play which wasn't a bad call at all. Lets take away the gassed part, it still boils down to the film definitely showing 100% the players made mistakes and it wasn't the play calling. Which is the whole heart of the argument.

And yes the D was expected to be bad by all. we lost lawson, davis, cashman, and joyner before the season. Our CB group is all young low round picks and UDFAs. lots of rookies. The offense got the 2nd overall QB, 2nd round WR, top 15 LG. the big FA WR. we stacked the offense for zach and ignored the D largely except 3 players who got hurt. we expected the offense to be ahead of the defense but it's been the other way around. saleh and ulbrich have worked wonders with that we have

as far as the stats go, again stats without context don't mean much. that's why the whole PFF ratings and next gen stats are a thing. it adds more context

they get better at the half because they get a rest and the offense picks up and doesn't leave them out to dry. thats why pete caroll slowed down wilson last year. to help the defense

again what film are you looking at. singling out 1 play which I explained and you ignored. what about every 3rd down i broke down watching the coaches film? you ignored it which is why this conversation is pointless

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

"Lets take away the gassed part, it still boils down to the film definitely showing 100% the players made mistakes and it wasn't the play calling. Which is the whole heart of the argument."

The "whole heart of the argument" is that you said the defense was "gassed"... I said they were "outsmarted"... that's the only debate.
    Now you want to "take away the gassed part" and pivot to my side of the argument to claim victory.
    Nice try you little devil...;)

First you said they were "gassed".
    Then you said the players made mistakes.
    Then you said it's not the fault of the play calling that gave up a touchdown by putting d-linemen into pass coverage... not once but twice!
    What's next...the dog ate their homework?

We've been outscored 75-13 in the first half.
    Either the players are out of shape and stupid or the scheme we're running isn't working.

3. GasedAndConfused

um noo. here is your original reply which started it

You said they were gassed, you said they were bad in the 2nd half, and you said it was the scheme not the players.

Now you changed it to they weren't gassed, they played bad the 1st half, and that they were outsmarted. You literally moved the goalposts so many times you forgot what you originally said

Also the fact you even think there is a victory in this is extremely immature. it's 2 people having a discussion about a sport in which we have access to watch it over and over again to go through the film which is somehting I enjoy doing myself personally which is why I do it. not to "claim a victory" I don't think like that.

My side is an absolute clear it was the players not the scheme and it all supports itself

1) they were gassed
    2) they made mistakes. because they were gassed. maybe not 100% but it played a part in it. mosley made more mental errors then you'd expect since he is one of the smartest players on our defense with the most experience. You could say the mistakes huff, and quincy, and JFM made are lack of experiance but lots of players made mental errors that cost us
    3) it's not. mosley and JFM both made mistakes. mosleys was mental, JFM missed the jam at the line. with huff it was the same, he blew his assignment leaving a hole in the middle of the field. had he been where he was supposed to be, he likely picks it off. I showed both of this via the film where you haven't showed anything to support your argument of bad play calls

I'd love you to give some perfect examples of critical play calls that cost us. I broke down every 3rd down in the 1st half. none of them were converted due to bad play calls. which is your whole argument and you've done nothing to say otherwise.

4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Now you're putting words in my mouth.
    Where did I say the defense was "gassed"?

I said they were playing soft... which points to scheme... not fatigue.

I also said they were out-smarted... which you proceeded to prove by pointing out the mistakes they made.

The only "bad play calls" I brought up were the two passing touchdowns where the receivers were covered by d-lineman.
    Hate to play Monday morning quarterback... but how did that shit work out?

The defense has two weeks to rest up... but if they keep running the same failed scheme, Belicheck is gonna pick it apart.

5. GasedAndConfused

you said "i get that they were on the field alot" which would imply they were getting tired. it can't really mean anything else.

yes soft would refer to scheme

you didn't say they were outsmarted at first. that was one of your goalpost moves

you said "I'm not blaming the players... it was a crummy scheme to start with" you blamed the coaching staff, I proved the play calls were fine it was the players that didn't execute

and yes thats my point, you blamed the scheme but can't point to anywhere we just got beat by a play call. we just got beat by our players making mistakes and bad penalties.

6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Now you're blaming penalties for the loss? Geezuz... what's next?... Zach's headband was too tight?

They defense were on the field a lot because they couldn't stop the Falcons offense.
    I posted the stats that show how poorly we fare on defense in the 1st half... please don't make me do it again.. :confused:
    That's not just the London game... it's every game this season.

I'm sure the defense is additionally stressed by the 3&outs from our offense... but to say that being "gassed" is the #1 reason the defense couldn't get off the field is just plain wrong.

I pointed to just two bad defensive play calls. Both resulted in a touchdown. Do you really need more?

You want to make the argument that the players are out of shape and stupid... I don't agree and think there's more to it than that.

Let's move on too New England...

7. GasedAndConfused

you posted stats with no context. I gave them context and you ignored it. because it didn't fit your narrative

I didn't say being gassed was the number 1 reason, I said it was a factor.

you pointed to 2 plays, i proved they were both player errors and not bad calls. I went over every 3rd down in the 1st half which was like 11 plays, none were on the play call

I never said they were stupid and out of shape. who's putting words in who's mouth? they are young and inexperienced. they were tired which didn't help. injuries created lack of depth. some players are in on too many plays. some of it is because the defense isn't getting stops when they need it. some of it is because the offense can't put together a drive. everything in football is connected to each other.

why not just own the truth we both know. you were pissed that we lost and looked awful (hell we all were) and made a knee jerk comment that I called out and instead of owning it, tried defending it to the death by insulting me, being snarky, ignoring any evidence I posted, moving goal posts, putting words in my mouth, and quoting out of context stats.

Look everytime i make these threads, i get people with conflicting information. and I love that. because then I can go back and watch and see if I missed something or not. and If I did i'll say it. I do it because it's fun and it gives me something to key in on when I watch the film. in your case the film showed you were wrong and then you spent 4 pages basically going nuh-uh no matter what I posted to show you. so not really sure what you want me to do here cause like I said pages back you made up your mind and unless something supports what you want to believe, you won't listen to it and the whole "victory" thing is way too immature from an adult.

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

9. GasedAndConfused

again clearly you don't understand context.

yes you need context regardless of what the score is

the list I made was answering your list and explaining how being gassed contributes to mental errors. not an order of what the issues are.

the 2 goal line ones JFM was supposed to jam a TE. very easy for a DE to do, he whiffed. mosley was supposed to help over the top but he bit on the PA and didn't get back and instead tried to read ryans eyes who looked him off. the huff one he wasn't in man. he was in zone. dropping a DE in zone is a smart play. it confuses the line and the QB. huff is also a3-4 type LBer dropping him in coverage is something he'd do a lot if we played a 3-4. he didn't get to his zone in time because he hesitated twice. the scheme had him set to be in a perfect position to pick it off. I can show you step by step screenshots if you want but it would be a waste of time because you'll never get out of the stance you dug yourself in no matter how much proof is presented to you. On top of that the jets had 78 defensive snaps. if you are telling me only 2 are bad (if I give you the benefit of the doubt and say you are right when you clearly aren't) that's less then 3% of the plays called. If my DC calls 97% good plays i'm not blaming the scheme. it's a weak argument.

it's a physical sport. being gassed doesn't mean out of shape. mosley played 78 snaps. 100% of them. thats tiring no matter what shape you are in. thats why teams rotate players. mosley has played every snap for the past 4 games including a 100 snap game. that's just insane. and impressive he's even able to do it and still be effective. but he has made some mental errors that aren't like him.

no mosley isn't. he's our 1 experienced guy surrounded by a lot of rookies which is why he isn't getting plays off. everyone else in the back 7 is young and inexperienced. It wasn't just mosley but he did make a few. so did quincy, and shepard and JFM, and huff.

you did but it doesn't upset me. i was just pointing out how weak your argument is that you resorted to that. my claim is proven. the fact you still can't see it is on you. you just aren't capable. which I said pages ago and continue to be right on it. you'll never agree with anything that is outside of a preconceived idea you came up with no matter if it's wrong. You've provided 0 evidence of bad scheme. all the stats don't tell you what the problem is, only that there is a problem. I said players you said play calls. I've proven it's the players not the play calling several times over. that's the core of it. You've pointed out 2 plays in which it was both the players fault as your "evidence" which is less then 3% of the calls made.

again the stats just show an issue. not why. you still haven't shown anything to prove it's scheme when i've given over a dozen examples of how the players messed up at key points. ulbrich called a good game. the players didn't execute. it's that simple. why you are intent on blaming ulbrich is beyond me when he wasn't the issue but you do you.

10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Giving up 17 points on your opponents first three drives is awful.

Can we agree on that?

11. GasedAndConfused

of course. but the main question is why and how can we fix it.

12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Sure... a concerted effort to sustain drives on offense will relieve some of the the stress getting put on the defense for starts.
    What else can be done?

I'm not sold on the whole "bend don't break" philosophy.
    What's the point of having young inexperienced players on the field longer?

I'll defer to your deeper knowledge of defensive play by asking... what's the upside?
    Will it reap rewards down the road? Are the players we have now ill-suited for the scheme we're running?
    Matty Ice was just picking us apart in the middle of the field... too easy.

Maybe the lack of edge pressure is hurting the effort...

13. GasedAndConfused

you get pressure with the front 4 forcing mistakes. dumping them in 3rd and longs or forcing turnovers. out big issue has been a lack of INTs. trevon diggs has 7 INTs alone right now. I wanted the jets to draft him. we as a team have 0. The only team in the NFL without one. As our CBs gain experience and get better they will start getting INTs. Our opening drive defense did good. they needed the offense to come back and at least have a good drive and score 3 and we did a 3 and out. We really need the offense to pick it up. moore is getting open a lot but hardly has any targets. we need to get him more involved. The main point I had was ulbrich called a good game. it wasn't on him

ouchy likes this.