GAC Studs and Duds - Week 16 NYJ vs JAX 2021

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Dec 27, 2021.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Studs

Zach Wilson - The passing numbers aren't there ar 14/22 for 101 yards and a TD. but wilson willed us to victory. he was smart, didn't turn it over and took what the defense gave him. including scrambling for 91 with the big one being a 52 yard TD (longest TD run by a QB in the NFL in 3 years). Our offense was demolished by penalties and covid and his WR group was weak as was the IOL but zach was calm and looked like a smart veteran out there and just made plays for us when needed

Berrios - again Only 5 catches for 37 yards on 7 targets but he had the big 103 yard KR TD and had a big 3rd down conversion late in the 3rd quarter

Ron Middleton - I thought this game was going to be a disaster and unwatchable. It turned out to be one of the most entertaining jets game this season. Ron did a good job managing the clock and being aggressive on 4th down. He did a great job overall and the team was ready to play. I'm wondering if we could make him the assistant HC as well starting next year.

michael carter - another fantastic game by him, always getting extra yards after contact. had 118 yards on 16 carries (7.4YPC average) including a long 38 yarder late in the game. 1st 100 yard rushing game by a jet in a year.

Connor mcdermott - gets it mostly for the big man TD. it was a legit TD catch too not a wide open gimme.

Pass Defense - I know the jax skill positions aren't great and that tlaw is struggling as a rookie but our secondary was great. hall and echols were their usual good selves, but pinnock played very well at safety where he was bad at CB for us. Guidry did good stepping in for carter II, nacua had some hard hits.

Mosley - was up and down most of the game as usual. did drop an INT that would have sealed it on 3rd and goal from the 1, but he did make a great play on the sack FF that created a turnover for us and a few other nice plays in the game

Nick Foles - i'll never root for the jets to lose for a draft pick, but I'll sure as hell root for the seahawks and panthers to lose so the picks we get from them get better. foles led the game winning drive capped off by a TD to graham and a 2 pt conversion to give the bears the lead with a min left in the game. with that loss seattle is eliminated from the playoffs and the pick we get from them will be at worst 12 but currently 6th overall and very likely will be top 10 which is huge since we were expecting the pick to be in the mid 20s.

Duds

Mims/Jeff smith - showing what not to do if you want more playing time. Smith came up lame on a great throw by zach because he got alligator arms. Mims just had no fight and effort. winning 50/50 balls was the 1 thing he did well as a rookie and now he's not even doing that. He also ran a wrong route during the game that made zach look off the mark. he wound up mostly benched after that lame 4th down attempt in the end zone. There was a play later on where he was in the slot with berrios in the backfield and I was like they are going to swing it to berrios and mims is only there to block and sure enough that was the play. But If i can see it at home the defense should know it too. mims is a liability on the field at this point.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Not sure I would call Middleton a stud. He called the game the same way I would have if I got a chance and knew it would be my only opportunity, and that’s not a compliment.The game shouldn’t have come down to that last drive. Going for it at the end of the half when you are getting the ball back out of halftime was just not smart. Take the points and try to stretch the lead with your next possession. Never skip the opportunity to double dip on points like that. I do give him credit for not trying the surprise on side kick. I definitely would have done that with my only game as head coach

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Never thought I’d say this but… Dan Feeney: stud. He played well at G and then moved over to C and continued to play well. I don’t expect that to carry over much but for yesterday, he was a solid signing.

barfolomew likes this.
  4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Yeah, not sure about Middleton. We would have been up by 10 on the Jags last drive had he just kicked the FG's. Absolutely hated going for it before the half. That was beyond stupid.

5. GasedAndConfused

I know people will give him slack for that but think of it this way. you have nothing to lose, you give your players a chance. your young players. on top of that we lost out on 2 Fg attempts so thats -6 points. we also scored a TD so thats +4. so overall it cost us at worst 2 points. that also assumes pinero who had an XP blocked on a low kick and didn't look good all day, would have nailed all 3 FGs. even if he missed 1 which is very possible it's a positive 1 point overall

KingRoach and Mogriffjr like this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I pretty much agree with the post, except McDermott was wide open.

Ralebird and barfolomew like this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

No offensive lineman is ever wide open.

barfolomew, FJF and ouchy like this.
  8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We had a FB in and he took his man and stood right next to McDermott. Which is pretty stupid considering the playcall. In fact, whoever was FB should have gotten a dude for it.

barfolomew and abyzmul like this.
  9. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Mims is extremely lazy. He may get another chance in the NFL, but I doubt he will take advantage.

Hopefully he gets a career outside of football, or has been smart with his money.... But laziness isn't something that will stop after the NFL.

barfolomew and REVISion like this.
  10. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I agree with the was part but by the time Zach threw he was not wide open as there was a safety coming in to break up the play. To prevent that Zach had to lead McDermott to Zach's left to avoid the safety which made it harder as McDermott was sitting there flat footed and mostly immobile.

#10 Noam, Dec 27, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
    barfolomew and westiedog1 like this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

12. GasedAndConfused

anytime a big man catches a ball it's impressive and he was the 4th read on that play (zach went over it in the postgame) but he actually had to go up and get it and there was a guy there. it was still a clutch catch by a backup offensive lineman on 4th down for a TD. he also had to run all the way across the field

Jets79 likes this.
  13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Quite an interesting top 5 from PFF.

barfolomew and GasedAndConfused like this.
  14. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Yea, PFF is a sham. It has shown almost all year how poor it is.

BA in baseball and PER in basketball is more useful than PFF, and they are only useful in certain scenarios

barfolomew and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  15. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

The thing that impressed me most with the McDermott TD was the pass.

3-4 weeks ago that would have been Zach throwing a bullet. This one was just the right touch and made it as soft as possible to make it to the big man.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

16. GasedAndConfused

interesting. I did see parks in on a few plays. i'm guessing most of it was off screen coverage though. zach was obvious. pinnock did have a good game too. I didn't notice much of wesco or GVR so guess that's a good thing. maybe his benching got him fired up?

barfolomew likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

mcdermott is barely a read in that play. zach went over it post game. he's the 4th read. he said he threw it to him only twice in practice pretty much as a joke. the inside pressure forced him to miss the timing on his 1st read and he had to improvise and he said he looked up and seen him there and was like "is this happening?" and he threw it to him. he went up and made the cacth with 2 hands and kept it while hitting the ground, meanwhile our WRs not named moore and berrios drop easy balls. gotta give the man some credit

KingRoach, barfolomew, Jets79 and 2 others like this.
  18. bicketybam

I thought it was an excellent catch. At first I thought it was our TE. Most OL catch a ball like someone tossed them a baby.

FJF and GasedAndConfused like this.
  19. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Back to Berrios - to me he is clearly team MVP this year.

PJ4Ever, barfolomew, Jets79 and 3 others like this.
  20. bicketybam

I love the guy and I'd think he would excel given more if an opportunity. Guy is a gamer. Huge heart.

ColoradoContrails likes this.