FYI- Zach Wilson gets chance with Broncos starters — and it didn’t go well

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by SOJAZ, Jun 6, 2024.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I know to look somewhere other than a platform.

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

3rd stringer.... what he shouldve been with the JETS the whole time.... It's all that older woman's fault!

abyzmul likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40995578/sean-payton-broncos-qb-zach-wilson-make-53-man-roster

Sean Payton: Broncos QB Zach Wilson to make 53-man roster
    Jeff Legwold, ESPN Senior WriterAug 25, 2024, 09:50 PM ET
    DENVER - The first step of Zach Wilson's career rebuild is nearly complete as Denver Broncos coach Sean Payton said Wilson will be one of three quarterbacks who will make the roster after its cut to 53 players.

The news comes after Wilson helped lead Denver to a 38-12 victory over the Arizona Cardinals in Sunday's preseason finale.

Wilson said he is "grateful'' to have been traded to the Broncos and that "I'm loving it out here.'' Rosters leaguewide have to be whittled down to 53 players by 4 p.m. ET Tuesday.

The Broncos acquired Wilson in a trade with the New York Jets just before the April draft after the former No. 2 pick had three tumultuous seasons with the Jets. Wilson got the majority of the playing time Sunday against the Cardinals as the team's starter, rookie Bo Nix, was not in uniform. Fellow backup quarterback Jarrett Stidham played only the opening possession.

Wilson finished 16-of-25 passing for 251 yards with two touchdowns to go with 22 yards rushing and another touchdown. Asked about the extended playing time Sunday, easily his most of the preseason, Wilson said he feels a growing comfort level in the Broncos' offense.

"I can't think of any games in my career when it feels like we're getting into a rhythm [like Sunday],'' Wilson said. "Even if you go three and out and get stopped here and there [with the Broncos], you feel like you're going to put something together. It feels good to feel that as an offense. One bad play happens and you expect something good to happen on the next one.''

Wilson was in what was initially a three-way competition for the Broncos' starting quarterback job throughout the offseason as well as the first week of the training camp. But from the second week of training camp on it was Nix and Stidham who battled for the starting job and divided the work with the starters until Payton named Nix the starter last week.

But Wilson has said he thinks he has rediscovered parts of his game and Payton has consistently maintained there is a place for Wilson on the roster because of Wilson's potential and "arm talent.'' Payton said after Sunday's game that Nix, Stidham and Wilson will all be on the roster after the team makes its cuts.

"We've got enough money to ... I understand the question,'' Payton said Sunday when asked if all three would fit within the team's salary cap. "We feel comfortable with those three quarterbacks. I think I've told you already I see the three of them making it.''

On Wilson's play against the Cardinals, Payton added: "Look, he made some impressive throws. ... He's got a live arm down the field, I thought he threw it away when it wasn't there. ... [He] had plenty of time on the play clock, to get in and out of plays if need be. It's been the better part of the last two and half weeks [that he's played well].''

Payton said during practices this past week Wilson "was on bit of a heater.''

From his arrival in Denver, Wilson has said he hoped to smooth the rough edges that marked his time with the Jets. He had a 12-21 record in his 33 career starts in New York, didn't complete at least 56% of his passes in two of the three seasons and had 23 total touchdown passes to 25 interceptions.

Sunday, preseason finale or not, Wilson said it was important to him to play without a turnover, and the Broncos offense did not have a false start, delay of game or procedure penalty.

"I feel like I've played enough to avoid having those issues,'' Wilson said. "Just the operation, getting the ball out of my hands, just playing quarterback how I'm supposed to, putting our team in the best position possible.''

Wilson said, with the most career NFL starts of the Broncos' quarterbacks, he is ready to help Nix through any rough spots if he can as well.

"We all want to play, we all want to be on the team,'' Wilson said. "We all want to do the best, but we all understand the other person's side of it so we all have each other's back. I want them all to do the best they can ... If I can be any sort of resource or help to [Nix] ... I will.

"I was excited for him, I don't think it was a surprise to a lot of people ... [But] I told him I'm excited for him,. I really believe they're putting him in a good situation.''

4. stinkyB

Probs to Zach for lighting up 3rd stringers in a preseason game. Brett Ratliff would be proud....

5. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I watched the Broncos game yesterday specifically to see how he'd do. It felt krindgy, like watching your ex-girlfriend on a date.

However, when I saw him multiple times run backward when he got pressured, I was immediately reminded why we broke up in the first place.

NY Jets68, Acad23, Ralebird and 3 others like this.
  6. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Zach Wilson may be starting for Miami in a few weeks and maybe even playing ok.
    Tua is likely done. As we found out last year nobody is trading their backup QB. Zach is #3 in Denver and has had dozens of NFL Starts. He’s a logical target for the Dolphins. Unlike us, McDaniel actually knows how to run an offense. He’ll give him easy throws, and Hill can run under enough of Zach’s bombs to make his stats look ok. He’ll still take idiotic sacks and throw INT’s but what other options do they have other than tanking the season?

I really think this could happen.

7. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Taking Mike White off the Buffalo practice squad seems more reasonable to me.

BrowningNagle, abyzmul and Ralebird like this.
  8. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Yes, he will be more familiar

9. statjeff22

The name that seems to be getting mentioned is Ryan Tannehill, for the same familiarity reason. I guess it would depend on why they cut White - just a numbers game, or that McDaniel decided he wasn't even good enough to warrant a spot on the Miami practice squad (the fact that they put Tim Boyle on there instead is not exactly a ringing endorsement of White).

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Buffalo called White before he even got home after getting cut. I suspect he chose Buffalo’s practice squad over Miami’s more than the Miami choosing Boyle over him

typeOnegative13NY likes this.
  11. statjeff22

Very possible, but being on the Miami roster (and getting a real NFL salary) versus the Buffalo practice squad is a very different decision. In any event, I haven't heard his name mentioned, so it all seems moot. Apparently Garoppolo is being tossed around as a possibility as well.

12. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I didn’t even realize Boyle was on the dolphins. He must have made some impression when he played them last year

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Wilson’s brother Isaac threw 3 touchdowns for no. 12 Utah yesterday

14. stinkyB

Don't draft this beast...

Ralebird, ouchy and Dierking like this.
  15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

But were they off platform? Don't give me those weak little touchdown passes with good footwork and form.

stinkyB and ouchy like this.