Full Cap Update

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Aug 1, 2020.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

yeah it's a good year to be buyers because of covid. right now 10 teams are over the cap with a few being way over (20+ mil over for ATL, Pitt, philly, and NO) the saints are almost 100 mil over. some good players will shake loose. I'd love to grab bud dupree from pitt

Footballgod214 and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

You would think that would be the case, but I wouldn’t be shocked if it’s some of the darling teams that are in trouble, that the NFL puts in some special rules this year because of COVID.

and honestly, it is weird....there was no way for any team to ever anticipate the cap decreasing significantly ...teams just don’t plan for that.

so if it’s teams that are influential....Patriots, Cowboys, Steelers, Ravens, Seahawks, etc., I wouldn’t put it past the NFL to modify the rules a bit and allow teams some wiggle room

will be interesting to see how the owners play that...clearly they need to keep the hard cap for their own financial interests, but it’ll be interesting to see what actually happens

Footballgod214 likes this.
  3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Except Joe Douglas maybe? He started talking about saving/rolling cap due to covid almost a year ago. Dang that guys good!

4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can't see the NFL in the business of tearing apart teams that were put together with the idea of business as usual. Maybe allowing teams that end up being overvalued three or four years to balance the books. That wouldn't take anyone off the team unless the team wanted it but it would put such teams in the bind of forced savings in the years ahead if they wanted to keep everyone.

Exceed the cap by twenty million this year but your cap gets lowered by five for the next four years.

Jets79 likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I would be pissed if the NFL made some adjustment for its "Darling" teams. A team has to be flexible, and be ready for any eventuality. If they don't plan well, or try to take advantage of rules, then they deserve to get bit in the ass and suffer. Crazy things happen every year. Covid is extreme, but major players go down with serious injuries and are out for the year and teams have to have cap space to sign players at that position. Super Bowl-winning teams have had to cut players before to get under the cap, next year should be no different. There will be a lot more players available than normal, but that's a one-time thing, and it should help keep salaries in check, so most of the owners should favor keeping the rules the same and not making any exceptions for Covid. If they (the NFL) are really about parity, no changes should be made as it should help bring some of those great teams back to earth and help lesser teams like the Jets. It would improve competition.

6. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

agreed....but there is a huge difference between a player or two getting injured and the cap going down by $20M or more due to an unprecedented worldwide pandemic that meant fans couldn’t go to the stadiums and this league wide revenues were significantly lower than the prior year.

I don’t have the NFLs books obviously but I’d be willing to bet that league revenues have never gone down year over year during the modern cap era.

so the very definition of “unprecedented”

I’m not saying I agree with it, though...I’m just saying that it wouldn’t surprise me if the NFL did something like that...I can’t see them ok with dismantling teams over this.

honestly the idea offered up above about letting teams go over the cap now and pay for it later is interesting. I would think the league wouldn’t want to do that and introduce the concept of a “soft” cap, but who knows?

7. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I agree that the league should avoid playing favorites. That said, we're a New York team, and if we're not a league darling we have no one to blame but ourselves.

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Do teams with at least 'some' fans in the stands get to keep that gate or is it spread around? I know TV contracts are shared, but are ticket prices shared as well? Thanks.

9. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Yes