Full Cap Update

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Aug 1, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

OK, thanks, no harm no foul. I had a rough day yesterday, so maybe it was just how it came across to me.

2. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

Fans realize this what gets to me is people are writing off the season we are not going to win this yr? How do you know unless you try? if you don't try to solve some the issues you will never win. That is a loosing mentality before the season starts you realize they are going to loose? why not try to fix the issues, or at least one issue?
    Why should anyone support a team they expect to loose?
    Instead you are willing to waste a year and let potential solutions walk away or not even make an attempt to make the team better?
    If you sign the right players you can find one that helps next year and for another 4 or 5 more...
    Jesus this comment above accepting loosing is maddening. Unless fans start demanding and asking for more then we will get eh same old stinking pile of crap.

3. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

More on this point it's the year of Covid, teams could lose half their starters on a weekly basis. Anyone can win their division this year and the playoffs as well due to teams catching the virus, it's completely up in the air, especially in a bad division we could possibly win.

barfolomew and rammagen like this.
  4. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

This is part of my point. If you dont take any steps to address any issues then you go into the year with more questions rather then trying to fill a issue position and try to compete. I personally believe you should try to field the best team every year. Some years you can't but this year you have the money without breaking the bank to get a player in a position you need. And you know if they sign and opt out they don't get a penny if you structure the deal the right way and you could loose very little money but at least try.

5. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Maybe this is our year--it would make perverted sense that NYJ win the SB during covid season.

6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

COVID is the great equalizer, this season and especially division is wide open.

When Bills are the favorites in the division you don’t exactly have Mount Everest standing in your way.

ouchy likes this.
  7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Winner of this year's SB will be stuck with the dreaded '*covid season' after their name.

The Dark Knight and barfolomew like this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

thank you for this!
    jets look to be in a good position next year for sure. the big factor people aren't looking at (but you mentioned) with the cap decrease is we will see some talented players get cut loose and FAs will be cheaper then in previous years even with 48 players under contract we do have 10 draft picks (https://www.draftsite.com/nfl/ny-jets/8/2021/) (not 11) (including 5 in the 1st 3 rounds) that puts us at 58 players plus UDFA. I would hope 3 of those 1st 5 picks are instant starters as well. the rookie pool for the jets should be around 14 mil so 51.5 less 14 gives us 37.5 mil to play with under the minimum 175 mil cap (which could be higher but won't be lower)

As far as releases go I could see crowder getting cut (saves us 10.5 mil) if we could find a better WR for 10 mil on the market which is certainly possible i'd jump at it. Anderson likely gets cut as well. we are so deep on the D-line and it saves 8 mil. that's another 18 mil on top of the 37.5 mil making us at 55.5 mil to spend in a year when FAs will be cheap and plentiful. Depending on edoga and fant, fant could get cut as well saving 7.4 mil.

JD has done an awesome job giving us flexiblity with the roster and cap in an upcoming year where the cap is iffy. we could also ask players like crowder and fant to take a pay cut or be released. and resign players like jenkins and perrimen cheap again.

I agree with not paying clowney. potention FAs next year at OLB include clowney (assuming he settles for a 1 year deal or opts out this season) von miller, yannick, judon, ingram, barrett, dupree, and houston. some of those are going to hit the market. For Wrs it's a little thinner with AJ green, TY hilton, allen robinson, and keenan allen but not a bad bunch. and more could be released to save cap room
    at CB just peterson and sherman really we will need to draft CBs

Imagine if we could land yannick and resign jenkins, land allen robinson and ty hilton and release crowder, land patrick peterson and draft into the CB and o-line and WR positions. I really think with JD at the helm and the current situation the jets can compete in 2021 for the division title.

MaximusD163 likes this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

watch it be the jets. 1st time we win a SB since 69 and it gets an asterisk next to it lol

Footballgod214 likes this.
  10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Honestly: Not a bad problem to have.:)

11. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Preach. How many SB wins do the Cheatriots have with asterisks? Yet they still get rings, they still get called SB champs.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  12. twown

twown Well-Known Member

You're that head guard at Shawshank who inherits a small fortune but only bitches about the taxes.

[​IMG]

13. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Reminds me of that old joke: "What do you call the guy that finished last in his class at Medical School?" Answer: Doctor.

NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  15. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Sure I’ve been busy for a couple days but I can knock out an update

Leicester Jet, NCJetsfan and Brook! like this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

Maybe a new thread for a 2021 cap?

17. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Yeah makes sense

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  18. Footballgod214

Question: If the 2021 cap drops from $198 to $175, what happens to the teams that are already close to the $198 figure? Will they be forced to cut players?

19. GasedAndConfused

yup

Footballgod214 likes this.
  20. Footballgod214

Sweet. Gonna be a lot of FAs and not a lot of $ to sign them. We might finally get a decent FA for less than a billion dollars!

Leicester Jet likes this.