Full 2021 Mock Offseason

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Nov 11, 2020.

1. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Either them or the best interior defensive lineman available. It's a tossup for me.

Sec124DieHard, Jets79 and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, why break with tradition?:eek:

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Twenty years of Jets history only matters if looking backwards affords some satisfaction. The team stinks on both sides of the ball; the holes in the lineup look like a minefield and are equally represented on both sides. It will take at least two years to field a respectable team...if everything goes right. Now is not the time to be concentrating on one side of the ball but to use each pick to get the - yep - best player available to fill a need; nothing is gained by passing that corner up for just another tight end. That does not mean you get another left tackle just because he's there but to basically close the door to the defense because of what's happened in the past is foolish.

I said balanced, I never said equal. I'm not saying you need to alternate picks but I am saying by heavily overweighting focus to one side you delay the journey to respectability. If there are twenty spots to be filled it doesn't speed up the process by doing one side one year and the other the next, there's still twenty spots that need to be filled, not thirty or forty.

The team needs everything NC says, and more. The secondary is awful, the linebackers often invisible, the edge does not exist. I expect Joe Douglas to look to both sides and I expect the average TGG guy to complain about every defensive player whose name even comes up. I take neither of you two as average students of the game but your drawing lines in the sand does not accomplish best the task ahead.

Regardless of how the offseason goes the Jets will be very lucky to go 8 - 8 next year; 6 - 10 is much more believable; let's not fool ourselves into even thinking drafting nine guys on the offense will fix this team. Unless you can get the guys who come with guarantees.

#83 Ralebird, Nov 16, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  4. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

If the Jets are in a position to draft one of the top 2 quarterbacks, Douglas needs to prioritize their success, even if it means a crappy defense in the short term. Arizona is winning with a young QB and a strong offense. Miami is winning with a young QB and a strong defense. Buffalo is winning with a young QB while scoring and giving up the same amount of points.

There are different paths to victory.

The New York Jets are averaging 13.4 points a game. Time of possession? 26.5. Both dead last in the NFL. Fixing those are guaranteed upgrades to the defense if for no other reason than it will give them an actual, in-game rest as well as additional time to game plan for the next series (if we land a coach who makes in-game adjustments).

#84 Jets81, Nov 17, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  5. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

awesome, awesome work product Maximus

That said, I don't see Thuney in my crystal ball. A) i suspect JD thinks he can draft a talented guard (e.g., Seattle pick or round 2); B) even though FA guards may have value relatively speaking i think he'll find better use for that money; C) assuming we have a new coach what kind of blocking scheme will he employ(this is just a risk issue)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

Your
    your hired!!!... it’s sad that some of the fans of this team have an idea what to do.. and the Actual owners of the Jets don’t have a clue!

Jets79 likes this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't think @MaximusD163 has the wrong approach with sprinkling in defensive players throughout this draft. This defense has a ton of free agents and needs just as much fresh blood as the offense does. It's frustrating from the standpoint that we've spent 4 million draft picks over the past decade on the defense but all of that is irrelevant when you factor in the majority of them are no longer on the team.

We need to add defensive players, folks. It might be the type of deal where we want to go offense for the first three picks and then try to bolster the defense, but good teams strike a balance and get good players.

A dynamic offense with Trevor Lawrence does nothing for your team if our defense looks like the Texans defense does this year.

We will have Davis, Q. Williams, Bless Austin, and JFM back definitively. Cashman too but he doesn't look like an NFL starter. Maye is an UFA, as is most of the rest of the defense.

If you guys wanna ignore defense, that's cool. Just don't be upset when we make the 2020 Texans look like the 85' Bears. We need to leave the draft with a couple of inside linebackers and another edge player at a minimum. A corner as well.

If we sign a receiver (Godwin, Golladay, etc.), and a big time guard, there's a lot less to be done on the offensive side of the ball in the draft than advertised by the shitty performance of the squad this year. Another guard and a receiver and then mid round RB and TE. That creates room for a couple defensive players early on.

Ralebird and MoWilkBeast like this.
  8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I hope JD doesn't pass up drafting Revis 2.0 to take a shot on a good interior lineman that ends up being WFH 2.0

9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

The thought is depth/injuries/rotation. keeps the WRs fresh gives us more depth for injuries. I don't think perrmian will have much of a market just like he didn't last year.

10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The defense certainly needs a CB and pass rusher that opposing team's need to game plan against. Hall could be a #2 CB and Zuniga might end up being a solid pass rusher, but neither should stop us from getting a game changing talent at either position. And the LB group needs improvement.

That said, I could live with a competent offense in 2021 if it means the defense is below average, but will be addressed in 2022. We need our next QB to be in the best situation possible or we'll have threads in 2023 about Trevor being ruined, Tank for ________, etc....

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thuney may not sign here, or may not be the best use of FA $s and cap space, but if we can sign him and one of Robinson, Godwin or Golladay, then I think we should. Drafting a rookie would be great in terms of having another part of the OL who could be here a long time, but rookies make mistakes and a mistake by a rookie OG could get Lawrence or Fields hurt, and in drafting an OG, Douglas may have to pass up on a stud WR, TE, RB, or even Edge or CB. Even though we have some extra picks, there are still big gaps in between most of those picks, and players fly off the board. Thuney could still give us at least 5 years of solid play, maybe more, and he would bring some stability to the OL.

I'm not worried about the blocking scheme at this point. The new CS will be in place by the time FA and the draft happen, and they'll look to add OL who fit that scheme.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think the whole X,Y and Z thing is a bit overplayed/overstated. Just because a player's size and talent cause him to be designated an "X" that doesn't mean he can't have success on the field with another X. He could still have success running routes that maybe a Y or Z run. So what if you have two Xs? If both are really good and cause the opposing DC to want or need to double both of them, then that leaves a TE, slot WR or RB wide open. Mims is fast. He could play the Z role. Two tall X WRs who can get open, high point the ball, and get YAC. along with an excellent slot WR and TE, trump a "perfect" 4 WR set with lesser talent. Look at KC. They don't have the "perfect" 4 WR set. They have Tyreek Hill, Kelce, Sammy Watkins, Mecole Hardman, Edwards-Helaire and Bell. Does their offense struggle or fail to put up points? Not all offensive schemes are the same, nor do they need to have the same set positions. The idea is to give our QB great, reliable receiving options. I wouldn't care if we trotted out 4 Xs. That would be a matchup nightmare for opposing DCs.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The Texans offense is a good example of why you need a diverse skill set. They have a bunch of fast down the field speed demon receivers and they have very few to move the chains which is why they struggle to sustain drives.

The Ravens are another team that struggle with this which is why they brought Dez Bryant in from the football graveyard.

Of course - all receivers are going to play each other's positions at times, but you want to diversify your skill sets so the offense is a bit harder to defend.

14. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

something's not right with our line and I'm not blaming the talent entirely.

Beachum, Osemele, Shell are doing better elsewhere than here. It could be a familiarity chemistry thing, or it could be scheme and coaching

this is one reason why i hate the idea of the Johnson's hiring a HC. the GM knows what he's trying to build and can select a kindred spirit as a coach

when is the last time a Pats OL played as well on a new team??? No Dante Scarnecchia etc. I'd beware with Thuney and more generally on 10+ million for a FA guard. Sometimes those guards and their sex appeal are the beneficiaries of coming from a good organization and fellow OL

I'd prefer JD stick to drafting those guys. He got an A+ on his first OL pick

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. It’s one thing to say ignoring one side of the ball is irrevelant w the team’s current circumstance in a bubble..It’s quite another when you consider the following

1. During the timeframe in which offense has been ignored,the game has drasticaly evolved into a significantly more passing oriented,match-up dependent dynamic that frankly the Jets have yet to adapt to. The Jets entire offensive infrastructure is badly outdated beyond just having a bad roster. This is bigger than keeping a balanced approach & leaving the past in the past.The Jets offense IS stuck in the past.They need to evolve.Thats bigger than a depth chart.

2. Assuming we dump Sam & bring in TL what message does it send to continue to defy simply giving a drafted QB help as early as possible? Its literally repeating the same mistake. After drafting Sam next pick was Nathan sheppard.Knew right then & there team didnt see the forest through the trees.Apparently alot of fans STILL dont either

3.We still have significant draft ammo heading into 2022 in what could be a much stronger defensive class. We arent rebuilding the entire team in one offseason.

Why not finally enter modern football & send a message to the league that we’ve learned our lesson about not giving young QBs help,in what is a strong offensive draft class? Thats not to say completely ignore defense. Just dont think its as simple as “oh the defense is just as bad”

16. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

All great points.

To add to this - in the modern NFL, teams with good offenses and bad defenses often compete. The same is not true of the reverse. A good, modern, passing offense is basically a necessity to even have a seat at the table of the top teams.

17. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

This is basically what Arizona did last year. Young coach and took a risk with a young dynamic but short QB. Taking those risks downfield with the new NFL rules gets you a lot more yards and points now. Defenses are not going to be built to shut down a team the way they used to, rather to hold strong at times in the game. The offenses simply have too many advantages to be shut down; unless they just simply suck.

18. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Hey fair enough, so I’ll try to be as clear and detailed as possible if that’s the case.

Firstly, failures by previous regimes cannot be taken into account. I understand that it can be frustrating to see something that feels familiar, but that doesn’t mean the end result is the same or that there aren’t important differences.

The Jets defense is bad in the key places. They do not have viable starters in more than half of the positions, and particularly in premium positions. Even the positions with viable starters have little to no depth. These are facts that I think both of us would agree on.

With the Jets having invested in offense this offseason, the early returns were ugly, but it’s important to remember that 7 of the offensive starters were different than the majority of the season in 2019, and with less than stellar coaching and a difficult offseason, that was bound to happen. However there is a clear indication that the offensive side of the ball is improving and that young players are developing.

Let’s take a look at last weeks MNF game, and ask a question... Which side of the ball cost the Jets a win? You may be glad they lost, or at least see an upside, as do I, but setting that aside let’s pretend it would have meant something to win. Was it the offensive side of the ball that couldn’t hang? No, it wasn’t, they scored 27 points and turned the ball over 1 time, despite missing Becton and Darnold.

The defense was not good. No natural pass rush, ineffective coverage. No ability to close out the game. No edge, no off ball linebackers, no corner.

Let’s assume the Defensive draft picks would take at least the better part of a season to develop as well, so if the Jets wait until 2022 to make those investments, you’re not looking at a legitimate return on Defensive investment until 2023. So at the moment, offense is trending up, while defense is trending down. All of these facts I do still think we agree on.

I think where we differ starts here:

I do disagree actually that it is an offense driven league, and what I actually believe is that it is a Quarterback driven league. It’s a subtle difference, but key I believe. The development of a franchise Quarterback is the all important piece of any winning team, and success in this effort is the driving force of any consistent contender. It’s why the league puts a premium on Quarterback disrupters more so than any other position, save Quarterback itself.

With this in mind, I believe the Jets need to address the most important position first, that being Quarterback. Then follow that up with the second most important position of pass rusher. That is why you will consistently see me use the Jets first round picks in those two areas.

Building around a rookie QB can be done in a few ways, and it depends on the mindset of the HC and GM. One thing that you have to take into account are the inevitable mistakes that a young Quarterback will make, and ask yourself do you want to win games during this period? A few options are:

1. Dominant Run Game + Defense (Run Game limits mistakes and Defense offers more opportunities)
    2. Sit Behind a Veteran (Mistakes limited by learning from sideline)
    3. Weapon Loaded Offense (Mistakes Not Limited)

You can slap Tyreek Hill, Kelce, etc around a rookie Quarterback but that’s not a recipe for instant success, and Andy Reid knew that even with Mahomes.

Based on these various factors in the Jets case, if you go with the 3rd option, you live and die based on the production of a rookie QB until at least 2023.

If you go with the 1st or 2nd option, there is opportunity to have a good run game and much improved defense as early as 2022, with 2023 being the year you really expect your Quarterback to take the reins and emerge as a genuine franchise and team leader.

Just keep in mind, the way I would do things is not 100% the way that article reads. I mocked only 1 long term contract in FA, which was offensive, and I had the Jets select an offensive player in the 1st, 2nd, and twice in the 3rd round. My point is not to ignore the offense, simply that the defense needs to be addressed at a roughly even pace to the offense. I prefer not to spend big money in FA, as I don’t believe it is conducive to long term franchise success, however if the Jets were to offer a second big contract, I would definitely prefer it to be on the defensive side of the ball.

REVISion, Ralebird and Footballgod214 like this.
  19. MaximusD163

You’re looking at it as a fan, not a team builder. Just because you have diarrhea for 4 days doesn’t mean you don’t take proper dump for half a week afterwards, you’re doing your own body a disservice even if looking at a toilet is unpleasant. None of those defensive picks from past years matter, it might as well be a new franchise.

20. MaximusD163

WR is not really a position that you rotate, most starting WR’s play 90+% of their snaps. Depth for injury is something you build through the draft primarily, spending top dollar on a WR means either Mims or that expensive WR likely won’t see the field much. Just not a great allocation of resources IMO.

It’s possible Perriman doesn’t have a great market, only time will tell on that one.