Full 2021 Mock Offseason

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You're one of the guys that has had a love affair with Alex Lewis running on two years. He blows dude.

2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

The Lewis/Van Roten debate to some degree hinges on Cam Clark. I’d like to see him get some action this year

NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  3. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

This looks like a tweak instead of an offseason overhaul. Sheperd and Williams are your DL? Season over right there. WR corp needs an infusion of talent. I do like that kid out of Purdue but he is on the small size. Too much leftover trash. Douglas has a ton of work to do this offseason and some of this needs to be removed. Who will be the coach? That is most important because if its still Gase none of this matters..

4. For a balanced approach it all checks out w no obvious holes or faults.

Just feel like w this class its important to upgrade the offense far more than the D. This offense has got to come out of this offseason looking full letter grades better for us to make any meaningful progress.Not just small upgrades & competent bodies...actual playmakers

While upgraded in this scenario,i personally would like to see alittle more electricity added to the O.

Moore is another slot who would fight for time w Crowder who is the superior route runner.Hubbard is a solid all around back but in all likelyhood is just another rotational guy paired w Perine

5. MaximusD163

It’s not an overhaul, this is the long game. It’s an infusion of talent from the draft, with a a couple of stopgap guys. The DL would be Q and JFM as the starters at DE, Fatukasi at NT, with Phillips, Shepherd, and Ray as depth/backups. I agree you could scrap Shepherd for another UDFA or cheap vet but it’s not like he would be starting anyway.

boozer32 likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO the bold is where you'd get bitten in the ass and possibly fail as a GM. One simply should never place contract cost/cap hit over play on the field unless one has no other choice. The difference in cap hit is likely to get your QB injured or your offense really struggle if that backup has to see the field.

I understand your seeking balance, but the NFL is an offensive league. Teams with great offenses and weaker defenses often fare well and win their share of games, and the most important thing is building around Lawrence. IMO it would be a huge mistake to opt for balance at the expense of building around Lawrence and having players in place to grow with him, so I disagree with #4. Too, there are no guarantees that those players will work out, and sometimes may take two years to develop fully. In addition, injuries happen. The better, wiser course is to make certain that you are giving Lawrence the best chance to succeed. The D can be worried about later. Also, in general, I believe that it can take offenses longer to get in sync than defenses. One can draft LBs, CBs, Edges who can come into the league and make an immediate impact. That can happen with offensive skill position players too, but it's more difficult for them because they have to develop chemistry with the QB and their timing in the offensive plays.

I don't see how you say that Smith-Schuster and Mims have the same role on offense. Smith-Schuster is a slot WR. Mims isn't. Mims is a deep threat. Smith-Schuster may be a deep threat, but I don't keep up with the Steelers.

#46 NCJetsfan, Nov 12, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

even if clark does play well enough to star i'd personally rather pay the 2 mil for a much better player. GVR has been awful in all but 1 game where he was decent. lewis has been solid all year

8. GasedAndConfused

i think you have me confused. was never a fan of his. thought he was decent last year as a back-up. but this year he's playing well. i give credit where it's due

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Sorry - you're right and my apologies as that came off as an attack.

I think we need two new guards. We're sort of stuck with McGovern for at least another season but we can and should upgrade both guard spots.

Of course this is the year that sees 10 or so starting centers hitting free agency and we already got a semi-dud from last year.

10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

This is fantastic, as a complete draft & off-season nerd I greatly appreciate the amount of time and energy that went into this. A couple things..

1. I don’t get the Mosely trade at all. We are not paying him much next year and can really use a presence like his on the D provided he is fully in on resurrecting his career.

2. Really love making Thuney the centerpiece FA acquisition. He would go a long way to helping this OL become a strength.

3. I do like Samuel but I’d go all in on whomever of Robinson/Golloday/Godwin make it to FA. If none do then Samuel makes a nice fallback option.

4. Ossai I like enough as a prospect but man I really want to see those next two picks after Lawrence used on offense. Whether it’s C, G, WR, TE, or even RB we’ll have to see how draft plays out but man I really want to see a commitment made to helping Lawrence become as good as he can be. Defense be damned..

REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

While I'm not going to get into specific players, as a "shopping list" for next season, I would do as follows:

FA
    I would look to get at least one stud OL and a pass rusher and a CB.

DRAFT
    Draft Lawrence or Fields with the #1 or #2 pick. The second biggest individual position they need is a pass rusher, but I doubt a true stud pass rusher will be availble with their second (late first) pick, so if that's the case, I'd look to take a stud WR, possibly an OL with that pick. With the third pick I'd also take a WR or OL, or MAYBE a CB. With the fourth pick I'd look for a CB,a RB, or a "diamond in the rough" pass rusher. After that, I'd be looking to take BPA at the highest position of need.

All of the above is based on the assumption that they're going to move on from Darnold. That decision dictates everything else. If that is the decision, then the first draft pick has to be used for Lawrence or Fields. While it MIGHT be possible that they've identified a third QB that they like best of all and are pretty certain they can get him with a later pick, they may decide to trade out of #1 or #2 for a bunch of assets. At that point my above "shopping list" has to be radically changed. And that goes for if they actually think Darnold is still their FQB obviously (which I doubt).

In short, I want them to focus on the offense, especially the skill positions and OL.While the "D" needs help, especially a pass rusher, and the CBs, the offense has been neglected for far too long, it HAS to be the priority. The reality that the Jets seem to be ignoring is that the NFL as been an offense-oriented league for almost 20 years, and especially a pass oriented league. I want to see evidence that they finally get this, and that will be proven by the choices they make this FA and Draft season. Along with a new HC, I need to see this, or I'm going to ignore them until I hear that they're contending for a SB, and frankly, I doubt I'll live long enough to see that.

REVISion and Noam like this.
  12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Herndon looks like a 'streaky' player. Super talented physically, not always where he needs to be between the ears.

His rookie season was off the charts, but his 2nd season was an injury disaster. His 3rd (covid) season is a mess too. BUT I think if our offense is rolling, his head will be in the right place and he will shine bright.

13. GasedAndConfused

we we drafted clark and we could sign thuney and maybe draft another guard.

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think McGovern used to play guard too, right? You could still sign or draft a Center and move McGovern over. Wouldn't be that crazy.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Josh Myers from Ohio State....

The Dark Knight likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

move him over to the bench lol

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree except with the FA portion. While Edge and CB are huge needs, offense has to be the #1 priority, and with the possibility of great WRs like Allen Robinson, Chris Godwin, Kenny Golladay and a few others who are just a notch below that (like Curtis Samuel) being available, Douglas must sign one of them if any of them make it to FA. We need young WRs to grow with Lawrence or Fields, but we also need a couple of proven veteran WRs as well to help him have immediate success. One of Robinson, Godwin and Golladay, along with Crowder and Mims, would ensure that our QB had every chance to succeed. Add a good WR, TE, and RB in the draft and fix our OL with a FA stud OL (or even solid starter) and another quality IOL in the draft, and our offense should be ready to make some noise. If there's cap space to also sign a quality CB or Edge rusher in FA, all the better. If Douglas can find a gem Edge or CB in the 4th-5th round area, great. If not, then they can wait until next year. I think all of our draft picks in the first 3 rounds should be used on offense unless something crazy happens and a top Edge or CB falls to the 2nd or 3rd round. Even then, he would have to be a perennial All Pro-type for me to take him over an offensive player, unless all of the offensive players I liked were gone already.

#57 NCJetsfan, Nov 13, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. MaximusD163

Many of your sentiments have been shared by other responders so I’ll be succinct but you can find my reasonings in greater detail in the thread.

-Mosley=Cheap in 2021 but stupid expensive in 2022. 2021 maybe the only shot to move him because another team might bite, if he’s here in 2021 then the Jets get stuck with him for $17mm in 2022.

-Golladay, Robinson, Smith-Schuster all play X receiver or have that skill set, same as Mims. The Jets need a Z/True Speed type receiver for a properly diversified WR Corps. That’s why Samuel and not the other guys. (See Buffalo with Diggs, Brown, Beasley trio).

-Jets will have gone offense with 2020 1st, 2020 2nd, and 2021 1st if they take a QB. The defense needs to be improved on pace with the offense or the Jets will still be terrible on one side of the ball.

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If only Sam was a proven FQB and we got the first/second overall pick....can you even imagine the team we'd have? Holy cow.

20. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I thought he would be by now! Although, if he was, the Jets would not be picking #1 or #2 I guess.