Free Agent Snapshot from Boston Globe

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GSourJr, Feb 11, 2008.

1. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

As far as FA RBs, go, it's a VERY strong crop, because most good RB's are franchised. Turner has shown stud-potential, Lewis was 5th in the NFL with over 1,300 yards last year, and Fargas was outstanding when he started, despite only getting 10+ carries in 9 games.

2. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

I think D.J. Hackett would make a very nice #3 WR.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think it's pretty hard to determine Bradway's exact influence on our FO. He was technically demoted, but the Jets didn't disparage him for phoning it in from AC in his final year or two as GM. It was almost like they were just reassigning duties between him and Tannenbaum. He was brought on first as a 'consultant' and then the official site snuck in there at some point that he was Director of Player Personnel, which sounds more like an overall lead scout than somebody without any influence in the team-encompassing scheme.

I think we can still see some of his conservative nature and the unwillingness to nab an elite FA and try to incorporate them into a new scheme versus playing it safe with 2nd and 3rd tier FAs who have played in the schemes before. Bradway is very afraid to get some egg on his face, I think. Ever since Bryan Thomas.

4. JetsLookingforDWare

See the thing is...I'm not completely sure the Jets are not unwilling to sign an elite FA...they just know they shouldn't do it now.

1. It takes alot to convince an elite FA these days. Theres alot of money going around, and the elite players that hit the market plan to cash in.

2. They probably wouldn't sign here is that we're rebuilding. The Pats didn't spend a whole ton of money on big name FAs until their 7th year under BB. The Jets don't seem like they'd go after an elite player unless that player was young, fit the schemes, and bought into the fact that we're up and coming and we want him to be a big piece.

3. Building an organizational mindset and philosophy is part of rebuilding, and having an unhappy star is a coach killer...especially when the coach is still young and unproven. The Pats, Steelers, Jaguars, Cowboys, Packers, Chargers, and whoever else have all been built through the draft...and that drafting took years of work.

4. Why throw all your eggs in one basket when you're not one player away from doing anything? Elite players are expensive, and we'd have to do alot of work to keep him from whining because signing him barely changed anything.

5. Yes...I realize that the Pats have been extremely good for years...but that 18-1 team has been in the making since 2000. We need to show significant improvement next year, but we also need to be patient for the FO to do their thing.

5. LWC611

LWC611 Member

I would like to get the pair from the Colts O line. They have worked together if they can work in they will work out

6. abyzmul

I had been willing to give the 'rebuilding' excuse for the first 2 years. I don't think we have that luxury anymore. We're going into the third year with this current 'regime alignment' for lack of a better term and we have total chaos on the offensive line and mismatched personnel on the defensive side. How long does the rebuilding excuse last? At some point, if you are not focused on building a young rookie core quickly, which they displayed when trading up for Revis and Harris, you have to seek free agents that can perform at a high level. They aren't doing this. Or haven't. And if they don't make some meaningful moves this offseason, I have to question whether we will ever get there.

Young HCs that are given forever to build a championship team never do that in New York, and I have to believe that trend will continue. The Patriots are not the only team in the league to take a player that has done well in a different alignment and made them fit. When the player is good enough, they adapt. And good scouts are able to find those kinds of players.

So far, evidenced by our selection of FAs in the past 7 years, Bradway and his Scouting Braintrust have shown an unwillingness to go for bigger players like that which have not previously played in the current scheme, Ty Law being an exception... although we did bring him in to play mostly man situations.

And I don't think the money situation should be that delicate, for the past two seasons we have been pretty high on the list in terms of cap space. At some point you have to mortgage a little bit of your future to make the team better. Otherwise you're only fooling yourself.

7. JetsLookingforDWare

Huh? Why not? 2 years is enough time to change a whole franchise around?

Probably because it's been 2 years. It's not like Mangini took over an up and coming franchise. We were declining terribly and theres an argument that we were the least talented team in the NFL. That doesn't just go away after 14 draft picks and a few FA signings.

If you choose to look at it as an excuse...I guess 2 years. I don't see it as an excuse. It's not realistic to expect a franchise in as bad of shape as the Jets were in '05 to magically jump to the elite or even very good status in 2 years. I have no idea why that is seen as an "excuse" as fans...

I think I gave like 4 or 5 reasons why signing an elite FA just isn't going to happen.

Did the Packers go out and sign elite FAs?

The Cowboys?...They didn't sign TO until AFTER drafting Spears, Canty, Ware, Carpenter, Romo (signed w/e), Gurode, Barber, Ellis, Witten, Newman, and whoever else. All other FAs were typical former Parcells players...the best one being Fergy.

The Chargers haven't signed a big name FA. LT, Rivers, Turner, Jackson, Merriman, Williams, Castillo, Olshanksy, Cromartie, Jammer...you get the point.

The Pats before last offseasons splurge had one big signing...Colvin in '03.

Why is signing a big name FA such a big deal to you guys? Does it mean we've "arrived?" It doesn't mean shit...it's just something to keep a very impatient and irrational fanbase happy. Why would Mangini want to bring in a high priced veteran to a rebuilding club WHILE he's still trying to establish his name and face? So that when we hit a bump in the road and said elite player gets angry he could get blamed and lose his job? It makes no sense to sign an elite player in FA right now...not unless he buys into what Mangini is doing.

1. They're not allowed to do that in NY because one losing season and the fans want to kill him and ownership gets nervous.

2. Mangini...at least in my eyes...does not fit the profile of a Kotite or Carroll. Completely different philosophy, completely different football upbringing, already coached a shitty team into the playoffs as a rookie (casually forgotten by so many)...

3. Those guys were shitty coaches who did nothing like Mangini did in '06.

Yes...they signed a retread young guy named Mike Vrabel who had 8 whole sacks to name...Jets fans would have BLASTED that signing...so which is it? Find players who can adapt and sign them...aka look for a hidden gem...or sign an elite player? We're already doing the former because a rebuilding team HAS to do that.

Bradway is no longer our GM and I don't buy that he factors *that* much into FA signings nowadays.

You're right...Bradway pussyfooted when we had our shot to be an elite team after Parcells loaded us with talent....but what does that have to do with Mangini and Tanny?

1. Everyones high on cap money except the 'Skins and Pats.

2. Why do we have to mortgage the future so soon into trying to create one? To please fans who seem to think it's absolutely necessary or we're not a serious team? I'd rather stick to drafting well and spending shrewdly but wisely.

#27 JetsLookingforDWare, Feb 12, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  8. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

i think we have to make a big splash this year, in fa. i think manini, and tannenbaum know that this upcoming season is pivitol to them keeping thier jobs. this makes me think they will be busy wheeling and dealing, this off season

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets are going to have to pay top dollar to get anybody to come here at this point. This assuming that other teams are not bidding things up more. The key for them is to make sure they get the best players as they pay top dollar. A few more Kenyon Coleman type signings, where the Jets pay middle dollar for a talented rotation player, will sink us into mediocrity for years.

Alan Faneca would be a much better place to splurge than Stacy Andrews. At least the Jets would know they had a solid guard to slot in next to D'Brick next season to help him develop into the player we all hope he'll be.

To understand the Bradway phenomenon (pay middle dollar for somebody you dream is better than they actually are) just look at David Barrett, Justin McCareins and Kenyon Coleman. To understand the more dangerous element of it (pay top dollar to a good but not great player) look at Shaun Ellis, Chad Pennington and Eric Barton. Those 6 players occupy vastly more cap space than a smart GM would have allocated.

#29 Br4d, Feb 12, 2008
  10. JetsLookingforDWare

Faneca is a better signing than Andrews if you like names...he hasn't been all that great for the past couple years...and definitely not worth the money he'd probably get. The last thing we need to do is get another aging, declining LG who wants to cash in on the recent love NFL guards are getting.

The thing about being a non-SB contending team at the moment is that you have to have the balls to tell the fans to STFU (or ignore them) and not spend money for the sake of spending money. I'm really happy this regime doesn't seem to give a damn about what fans have to say about running the team.

#30 JetsLookingforDWare, Feb 12, 2008
  11. lobacz87

lobacz87 New Member

suggs is now def. off the market according to ESPN, but we all knew that was happening...im shocked only one other person has mentioned Bryant Johnson, he is a diamond in the rough, a steal...once he gets a shot, which he should this year...he is going to explode

12. lobacz87

lobacz87 New Member

suggs is now def. off the market according to ESPN, but we all knew that was happening...im shocked only one other person has mentioned Bryant Johnson, he is a diamond in the rough, a steal...once he gets a shot, which he should this year...he is going to explode

13. JetsLookingforDWare

Yea, he's going to be a pretty coveted guy this offseason. He's got size, speed, he's smart, he's young...good route runner...good deep threat...

14. abyzmul

2 years should be enough time to build on the team where it matters, on the lines, where they have drafted 2 players on the offensive side and allowed the players remaining to flounder in impotence. I gave them 2 years to try to turn the team around and we just went 4-12, and did it in an unimpressive fashion if you can even say that about a 4-12 team. It's time that we start seeing results, and if they are going to trade up twice on day 1, they need to spend some money in FA to compensate. They did not. Year-in and year-out teams are able to bring in FAs and make them work in their schemes.

The fact that you think the DIRECTOR OF PLAYER PERSONNEL doesn't have a lot to do with FA signings and draft picks has me a bit confused. What exactly do you think they have him doing? You name a shitload of Cowboys draft picks and fail to mention that the Cowboys traded down in their first season under Parcells, and if I'm not mistaken they didn't trade up once. Bradway's trademark is making the panic pick. And if you do that, if you trade up, you better find someone with more promise than what the Jets did last offseason in FA, or your team is going to suck as much as the Jets did this year.

Rebuilding is an excuse in year 3. Sorry if you disagree.

15. JetsLookingforDWare

It's amazing how easy it is to say that isn't it? I can't think of a single O-line or D-line built in 2 years. Maybe you can enlighten me in that one.

True...it's not like we went to the playoffs and blew everyones expectations out of the water in one of those two whole years or anything...

True. I mean the 49ers went out and signed an elite player last offseason while in rebuilding mode and look how it turned out for them...they won more games than our loser ass, in decline organization did.

Didn't we do that anyway? We signed Coleman, he started for us at DE. We signed Elam (midseason), he comes in and Kerry Rhodes shows up again. We signed Clement in '06 and he held the fort...sucks we couldn't sign Andrews or Colombo last year.

What is the point in ignoring every good thing done? Because we went 4-12?

I don't pretend to know and I don't know why you do. For all I know he has everything to do with FA signings, but I've heard alot more about Bradway being involved in the draft than anything else.

So..whats the significance?

Parcells has traded down before and it cost us Orlando Pace and Walter Jones in the same draft...sometimes shit works and sometimes it doesn't...

And Bradway is not our GM, so I don't care.

Dude we lost 12 games...but we got our asses kicked a total of 2 times all season and those were by two of the top 5 teams in the NFL. You're treating this team as if they were historically bad...besides the first NE game and the Cowboys game...who blew us out of the water? Even WITH a bad O-line and D-line we beat a dominant trench team (Steelers)...we were a dropped TD away from taking another one to overtime and maybe winning (Ravens)...we took an angry Redskins team to overtime and had a legit shot at beating them if Cotch didn't get a case of the dropsies...we held an all time great offense to 20 points and played them as well as anyone else all season....

You'd swear that we were an all time bad team last season the way some of you people talk....

Why would I disagree? It's proven scientific fact that you can build a team in a matter of minutes if you're good enough. The fact that Mangini has had 2 whole years is downright disturbing....especially since one of them was so good and one of them was so bad...an obvious downward trend...

#35 JetsLookingforDWare, Feb 13, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  16. abyzmul

Good god, you are almost as bad as junc sometimes.

17. JetsLookingforDWare

Call the care police then.

Thanks for really showing me the light with such a well thought out post.

#37 JetsLookingforDWare, Feb 13, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  18. abyzmul

I'd have to call the Care FBI for you.

19. JetsLookingforDWare

Call 'em up, maybe I get to sit in front of the Supreme Court of Care.

20. abyzmul

You would get off on temporary insanity, I can use that phone call to get some Chinese instead. General Tso never itemizes my posts.