Free Agent News & Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think that article was published yesterday before Maye signed his franchise tag, which immediately applied a 10+mil hit against their cap number, lowering their spendable Top 51 cap room to around 20mil after you account for the draft pool.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

No idea who uStadium is or what their sources are but they just heavily implied that Darnold and Mosley are getting traded before the draft.

Noam likes this.
  4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Indeed, their primary target is to sell papers by stoking the fire of what fans want to hear. They are good with the pen, but not one of them is remotely capable or knowledgeable enough to manage a little league team never mind an NFL franchise.

5. Falco21

Bingo bingo bingo!

Great little piece and explains exactly what I, and many others, have been claiming.

April awaits

SOJAZ, NYGANGGREEN and Red Menace like this.
  6. Br4d

The Jets are +$20M or so over whatever the official number is counting rookie pool. They could let Crowder, Lewis and Van Roten go at any point for an immediate boost in spendable cash and cap space. If they drafted an OT to start they could let Fant go also.

7. Falco21

I also think there might be a move coming with Crowder. We might get a few more high picks added

8. abyzmul

It's because their worst nightmare is having to actually pay close attention to the development of young players during a rebuild instead of the easy headlines.

REVISion, NCJetsfan, FJF and 2 others like this.
  9. Br4d

Crowder might be worth a 4th round pick. Probably not but it is at the edge of reasonable. A 5th round pick I could see.

Noam likes this.
  10. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Not always. Never pass up the best player. If the Jets trade out he will be gone and they know it.

11. abyzmul

I'm not sure I see an OT being drafted early enough to start at this point. They showed their hand with the Neal negotiation in terms of position priority and it's clear that WLB is a priority for Saleh. Since there isn't much in terms of WLB options left in FA (there wasn't much to begin with, which is why they were chasing a SS willing to change positions) the remaining options are either to trade for one in the next month, hope one becomes a cap casualty or draft one early enough to be a starting option.

I can see Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah who will possibly fall to 23 or Nick Bolton who will likely be available at 34 as a couple of really good fits due to the requirement of the position for very solid tackling, speed and coverage ability.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

How quickly everyone remembers 2015. We rebuilt a team with trades and signings and had a mirage of a 2015 season with a ton of money on the books.

Key contributors

Ryan Fitzpatrick (FA)
    Marcus Gilchrist (FA)
    James Carpenter (FA)
    Brandon Marshall (trade)
    Eric Decker (FA)
    Chris Ivory (trade)
    Breno Giacomini (FA)
    Antonio Cromartie (trade)
    Buster Skrine (FA)
    Darrelle Revis (FA)

That ended with a fun season and a five year rebuild. Gee I wonder why we didn't hand out any absurd contracts this time to 28+ year olds.

NYJFOREVER, SOJAZ, FJF and 5 others like this.
  13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I mean, you can sign FA's and trade for players. But, if you can't draft well, that team will fall apart quickly. That's where Maccagnan fell short. IIRC, his 2015 and 2016 classes have no one on the team now and Maye is the lone 2017 selection who's still a Jet.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Zaven Collins might be the guy. He played all over for Tulsa and can rush the passer but he I think he can play off the ball as well. Plus he's a great kid and extremely smart.

15. Br4d

6 yr+ rebuild and counting.

16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I doubt we could get a 5th for a good slot WR with a large contract number in a year where teams are financially strapped where we have a very deep WR draft class.

Br4d likes this.
  17. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Cheers for the effort in that, it explains how they seemed to have filled what they want on less cap space than us but it looks like they might struggle the next couple of seasons.

18. abyzmul

Wow. I think I just found my new man crush. You don't usually see guys that long move so well in space.

NCJetsfan and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  19. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

Umm can I join you or do I have to wait for Man crush Mondays? Wow I like this kid a lot, first time hearing about him. If he wasnt in the backfield blowing plays, hes getting his hands on the ball in coverage what a stud. I would love to have him seems like he is just smart player and in on every play sign me up. Come on JD get er done

20. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Idk why your thread got moved to this one, but whatever. Good post