Free Agent News & Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 15, 2021.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

After last years debacle of injuries, is it unreasonable to double up at WR and help our QB develop and succeed. Having one too many good receivers has never been our problem, I’ll take it for this new offense.

2. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

With a very strong WR draft class it is likely we draft at least one WR to go along with Mims and Davis. If we sign Schuster and draft a WR suddenly Crowder is a luxury. Getting rid of Crowder and rolling over his 10 million would seem to make sense.

NCJetsfan, Br4d and CotcheryFan like this.
  3. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I don’t disagree if we end up drafting a WR also, we’re just not paying anyone on offense much of anything at the moment so it’s kinda whatever to me if they pay Crowder too for this year.

Maybe hang on to him after the draft and re-evaluate? Maybe a team would give us something for him?

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  4. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

I would be supprised if JuJu signs for more than a 1 year deal anywhere.

I think he expected a pay day this off-season, and it's just not happened. I reckon he'll find a spot for him to play well this year so he can hit the open market this year.

Think this signing is really on who they think would fit the system more - Crowder or JuJu.

I would also expect a speedster to be targeted too. Either draft or FA.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

5. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

if you wait on FA you might not only pick up bargains but you might get a player who now is a bit more motivated, with a chip on his shoulder

personally i think drafting WR is such a crap shoot and its easy to get burned (consider Corey Davis picked 5 -- glad he's a Jet but no one can say he's lived up to billing -- and there is a long list of others.)

AT least in FA you can assess a WR against real NFL teams with competition, not coming from Alabama where they have two star WRs and RB, and OL just dominating an opponent.

#1125 chandler, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If we sign JuJu we are done filling WR this season.

Also, if we sign Juju the term "one of JDs guys" has no meaning. There are talented players who have the heart of a champion. There are talented players who only have a heart for themselves. Then there are talented players who are losers at heart, and bring bad juju with them. I thought JD was focusing on the first type of player.

The Steelers started 11-0 when Juju started dancing on other teams logos. These teams got extra fired up and they lost two games in a row, including to Washington. When they mentioned it might be firing up the other teams he didn't care, and did it again in Cinn on a Monday night. Steelers lost to a fired up Barrow-less Bengals, making it three loses in a row. Then he finally agreed to stop.

Next, going into their WC game against Cleveland, he talks smack about the "Browns still being just the Browns" and how easily the Steelers would win. Fired the Browns up even more and we know what happened. One and done. This guy played a key part in destroying an 11-0 season with his immaturity and ego.

I don't want this player on my team because he has been a liability to success. He wasn't a rookie doing this, it was his 4th season. Let him "grow up" somewhere else.

To me, this situation is a measurement of JD.

#1126 ouchy, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Pairing Sherman or Jackson with a resigned Poole would be fantastic.

8. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I think one of the next signings we are going to see is going to be Sherman.

10. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

11. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

If the Jets get Lindsay it would be my favorite signing of the off-season. Perfect scheme fit, explosive playmaker.

azhar80 likes this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I dunno, at this stage in his career he should be ring chasing and he’s good enough to get paid while doing it.

13. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

you are becoming one of the worst posters on this board. You think the Steelers went from 11-0 to shit cuz JuJu danced on Tik tok? Youre at NC Jets level of bad right now. Improve dude cuz youre a complete banana at this point

BrowningNagle and dawinner127 like this.
  14. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

ok well maybe not NC Jets bad but pretty bad

Dierking and abyzmul like this.
  15. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the game they lost to Washington was also during that 3 week stretch where the Steelers games got moved around a week before each game because of the Titans COVID outbreak. Imagine thinking they lost those games because the dude danced on a logo. Ouchy is probably one of the people who believes Watson released these allegations against himself in hopes the Texans cut him.

16. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

Not sure abt JuJu but Phillip Lindsay all day yes.

Sign this beast

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

With regards to the bold, it could mean that, and that is probably the way things would work. It also could mean the opposite, however. JuJu was Sam's favorite WR at USC for a year, so they have familiarity and could restore the chemistry. In terms of the rookie, stats show that Crowder has been more reliable than JuJu, although only marginally so, so the Jets could opt to keep Crowder for the rookie or decide not to sign JuJu because his price is too steep. OTOH, this is the last year on Crowder's contract, so for continuity's and stability's sake, it would make more sense to go ahead and bring JuJu in.

As for JD's careful approach in FA, it's not just in FA. He gets a price in mind that players are worth and then won't budge. He didn't re-sign Robby Anderson. There have been other FAs and I think other players whom JD was cheap on and lost out on them. He could have lost out on Mims in the draft last year, being greedy, which goes along with the cautiousness in paying players. If the rumors were true regarding teams' interest in Sam, then JD's holding out for what he wants for Sam or thinks he's worth, may have already cost the Jets getting more for him than they eventually will. That's not to say that it has or will, but it could. Similarly, JD's mindset with negotiations could cause him to let players like Becton, Q. Williams, and others to leave in FA because he doesn't think they're worth what they're asking.

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

haha dont ya know the 4 keys to winning or losing in football - time of possession, turnovers, 3rd down percentage, and TikTok.

jonnyd likes this.
  19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

JuJu has rare talent, truly wants to be great and is only 24 years old which is shocking. A signing like that could change a franchise if it comes together

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I can't speak for the others, but I'm not assuming anything. I just know that this offseason is critical and it also presents probably a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for GMs. Normally, FA has a bunch of older, expensive FAs looking for one last big contract and there is a ton of competition for those players. This year, the market is flooded with quality young players (24-27) at positions of great need on the Jets, and they are signing for reasonable money elsewhere. Why? It's not about "rushing" the rebuild, either. I've always been against that, but OTOH there's no reason to delay the rebuild, either, when one has the opportunity to speed things up a little with the golden opportunity that FA presents this year. The team can sign players that can possibly give them 5-10 years of good play, at reasonable prices. Before those contracts have run out, JD would have time to draft and develop their replacements, so it's not like it would only be a short-term fix and not sustainable, either.

I could be wrong, but imo he was "brainwashed" by Ozzie, and is more conservative and cautious, and doesn't have the mindset to react differently in this different situation this year. That goes against the grain for him. In any other FA year, his approach would be great, but not this year. I think it's a mistake.