Free Agent News & Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 15, 2021.

1. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Definitely a fan of Lindsay. I always think he's undervalued. He could definitely be a target.

Not too bummed about Curtis Samuel especially if they're keeping Crowder, but still need better WR depth and IMO should be addressed in free agency and or Day 2/early 3 of the draft

barfolomew likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He's 27 at the start of the season so I doubt he'll be considered. That's the 30 year age mark for most other NFL positions. I like Lindsay and he's a good zone fit. But we need to start drafting and playing our own runningbacks.

We've done the 27+ year old running back thing for 15 years. Aren't you tired of Matt Forte's being our lead back?

ColoradoContrails and K'OB like this.
  3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Glennon to the Gmen.

Over/Under 3.5 starts for him in 2022?

barfolomew likes this.
  4. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

We could get a solid 3-4 years out of him. It's not impossible to become a real contender in that time span.

5. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

You're right Turk, we can be active and it will be day 3+ for us. We will sign young guys with upside to short term deals that won't break the bank. Combine that with drafting well and that's a recipe for success.

Do any of you remember Ozzie Newsome backing up the truck for Free Agents? He historically didn't and that allowed him to re-sign core players to 2nd contracts.
    Ozzie was JD's mentor so we should expect a similar approach.
    What to expect from Jets in NFL free agency (nypost.com)

The formula we've been seeing forever and didn't work is exactly the opposite of what JD is doing right now. Stay the course!

#1085 RochesterJet, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  6. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

That would be a bad play by the Texans. It would also lower his trade value.

7. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

A lot of good points. I also think stability at the head coach position is important also. The Jets have been through some coaches for the last decade. If Saleh can stabilize that job and his popularity with players then the Jets can be a top landing spot for free agents and of course retaining our own. I got my doubts right now about the GM position.

8. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I was just listening to a podcast that was saying JDs approach is reminding a lot of people of the Ozzie approach. Cut from the same cloth.

10. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I would LOVE this move!!

11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I saw a mention the other day that all the signings so far Davis, Davis and Lawson have one thing in common and that is high character with great work ethic who all live and breathe football. Looking at last years draft class (how many team captains) and these signing it is fair to say that character is important to JD and I think it showed last year. Despite the record and despite Gase the team continued to play and the locker room never quit. That is likely not because of Gase but because of the type of players JD has been bringing in. When we look at the available FAs not only to we have to look at value but do they fit into the culture JD and Saleh are trying to build.

#1091 Noam, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Signing JuJu probably means Crowder is gone. I’d personally rather invest in a 24 year old than ride out one year of Crowder but I’m also not a huge fan of JuJu. Hard to deny that it wouldn’t be a wise move though.

13. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I would love Juju on the teams.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

3-4 years is a huge stretch. The chances of a runningback being effective entering age 29-30 seasons is usually pretty slim.

I'd roll the dice on the current backfield along with adding a mid round pick and see what happens honestly. Runningback can be addressed next year or the mid-round pick combines with Perine/Johnson/Adams to become a solid stable.

Joe didn't draft Perine to make him an RB3 for long.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

this....

16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Davis, Juju, and Mims would be the best WR trio we've had in quite some time.

Regardless of who our QB is next year, those are some really good weapons.

If the price has dropped significantly on him, I think it makes a ton of sense and gives us more flexibility for the draft.

17. BroadwayAaron

And this is why JuJu’s camp leaked the Jets report.

18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

also whiffs to me of darnold remaining. interesting.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

Which to me has always been an unbelievably possible outcome but no one really wanted to believe that.

20. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I have some concern about JuJu and like Crowder a lot, but would be intrigued by the move. JuJu has an advantage with age and also would not be expected to be the clear #1 here - he'd have good help with defenses needing to focus on Davis and Mims. Also wonder if his value may be depreciating given the somewhat slow movement of the WR market and richness of the WR class?
    Will welcome his addition or be happy to have Crowder back, but honestly would be surprised if they sign Juju