Free Agent News & Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

First reaction was brown sauce might have been mustard but then I remembered seeing HP; we've got something similar called A-1 which is steak sauce, same shape bottle too.

I'm aware that you guys love to dip your meat in gooey stuff, it seems like a lot of Americans do too. Recent generations have developed a penchant for dipping fries (chips are something entirely different, invented in Saratoga, NY) in the catastrophe called mayonnaise or worse, the horror of ranch dressing; I'm going to blame it on a Canadian who took a wrong turn while looking for poutine.

Generally though we have ready access to perfectly good steak that can stand on its own without any such adulteration but may benefit from the more refined sauces you mention at the end of your post.

I had to look up your sarnies and butties; kind of odd that you've adapted such terms while we here continue to honor your old Earl of Sandwich by not so denigrating his name. Do you guys eat anything without some kind of condiment? I hope in your trips to New York you have had the pleasure of the "Bacon, egg and cheese on a roll" (a sandwich) for breakfast at a deli that can get it on the counter in two minutes flat. Ketchup is optional.

By the way - history appears to agree that cooking cut potatoes in oil originated not in France or Great Britain but in Belgium and the Netherlands where they are called frites, which translates to fries.

And no, I don't want to discuss who has the rights to the word "football."

#2061 Ralebird, Apr 1, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    BacktoQueens, chandler and K'OB like this.
  2. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

The fries in mayo dipping is a European thing, predominantly Dutch and Belgian - or at least that is where I've seen it as a definite thing. It isn't quite mayo either, looks very similar, but is a bit more tangy.

Very little gets eaten without a condiment unless it already comes with a sauce and even then some will add it.

K'OB likes this.
  3. Ralebird

Fries need mayo like coke needs sugar (which is how I saw many Koreans drink it when I was there.)

4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I can answer the football one easy enough, the much-maligned and hated word soccer was an English term invented to distinguish between Rugby football, soccer was to do with the word Football Association.

As for chips I do not doubt they were invented in Belgium and called frites, piddly thin things like Mac D fries lol

These are chips [​IMG] and are a lot nicer than fries, though fries are fine and have their place on the menu, usually with a burger tbh.

In Belgium and Holland, they have a product called chip sauce and that is a mayo-based sauce, I am not a fan of mayo tbh.

As for sarnies, butties they are just slang variants and tbh I only threw them at you for some amusement on my part lol but if you think that bad you should see how many names we have for a bread roll.

Off the top of my head, Stottie, barm cake, flat bottomed muffin, roll, morning roll, scotch roll, batch, teacake, cob, bridie, and a whole range of posh ones that are used in restaurants in as much as a hollowed-out one that you can actually put your soup in rather than dip a roll into your soup, called a bread bowl lol

[​IMG]

I fear we many have derailed this fine thread, so have a good day lol

BacktoQueens likes this.
  5. Ralebird

You can leave, but take that stupid bread bowl with you; another scourge foisted upon us by corporate restaurant chains. (Those fries look pretty good though, even if they need a bit more time in the oil.)

6. K'OB

Actually, they are quite dark tbh, a dining place wouldn't serve them any darker due to people saying they would be burned lol I like them darker but of course now we have an air fryer so dark chips are a thing of the past, though they do have a more crisp bite, still, I miss the true deep fat fryer homemade chips though.

I have never had a bread bowl but in my job I deliver plenty of the posh shite to restaurants and all the other types, triangle-shaped with bits of seeds all over them lol

7. Ralebird

I don't think anyone here would call a bread bowl posh but they might eat it anyway. There's great bread in New York, like the bagels and pizza crust, it's all about the water.

8. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

The fuck has happened to this thread?

@K’OB doing his bit for Anglo-American relations again. He’s like the UK Woody Johnson.

9. K'OB

You calling me a cunt? :eek:

10. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I’m saying there are better choices for “ambassador”.

NYGANGGREEN and K'OB like this.
  11. K'OB

how rude :(

12. K'OB

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritessaus

It has lime juice or and capers and it can't be called mayo because it hasn't enough fat in it, so actually healthier than mayo lol

Ralebird and MoWilkBeast like this.
  13. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Hey, if you can have a fucking egg free vegan mayo, you can have a low fat one! But that's the stuff. I quite liked it tbh.

K'OB likes this.
  14. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

bread bowls are for mentally-ill people

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

So is muesli. Fucking shit smells like a hamster cage.

16. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

My wife likes ordering soup in a bread bowl so you are quite right.

17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Only good bread bowl was at Red Lobster......Lobster chunks in a cheese sauce in a bread bowl...the bread they pulled out was cut into pieces and toasted. MMMM!!! They don't sell it anymore :mad:

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Anyone else prefer the thin fries (McDonalds) versus the fat (Wendy's)?? I like the thin ones....more grease and salt per frie!

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You're in America sir. The greasier and saltier selection will always be the winner.

NYGANGGREEN and Ralebird like this.
  20. K'OB

I used to live with a Dutch girl she loved the stuff, i tried it once that was enough for me lol though when we went to Holland they had a lovely sausage that was pretty identical to Cumberland sausage, beautiful. Alas it didn't work out, she was well above my level in all honesty and night club visits became a nightmare as the rampant hormones of younger men thought they had a chance, the worst thing about a younger woman as a girlfriend tbh still it was a long time ago and Mrs K'OB is a fine woman herself :D

MoWilkBeast likes this.