Fraud defense allowing QBs to complete 76% of passes

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The80sJets, Sep 17, 2023.

1. The80sJets

The80sJets Active Member

LOL! Explain the opening drive.

2. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

I can't.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  3. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

I wish I could explain why I became a fan of this miserable franchise.

KY Jets Fan and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  4. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Wonder if this had anything to do with it.

[​IMG]

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  5. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Perhaps the Jets offense should have taken more than one play to score a touchdown in the first half. That was very selfish of them.

6. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Maybe.

I was thinking more along the lines of sustaining drives and not turning the ball over.

7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The biggest thing that threw me yesterday was the defense. They weren't very good until the redzone, giving up 26 first downs, and Lamb had a 100 yards before halftime.

8. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

The defense was overrated last year and made no improvements to its personnel unless you count a raw skinny rookie who we don’t suit up.

Our LBs are solid, but you need Bobby Wagner and KJ Wright to have effective pass defense on crossing routes and hook zones for this defense to be really elite.

You also need two elite pro bowl safeties, like Kam Chancellor and Earl Thomas, one of them to cover flats/hooks, the other to close off the middle of the field deep.

The philosophy of this pete carroll style D is bend don’t break, get pressure with four and let your elite pass coverage stifle QBs from the back end. Patient QBs can still move the ball against it even with elite personnel; we saw that in the 2014 SB which featured a defense far far far more talented than ours. Brady just took the short passes all game in the flats.

TLDR is we have very good players for this system, but not enough elite ones for it to work the way it needs to.

jjt4201 and Acad23 like this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

You're comparing our defense to the best defense of the 2010s. We aren't that good, but we're still a top 10 defense for sure and arguably a top 5 defense.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  10. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

Of course I am, that’s the standard for a super bowl winning defense where the defense is why the team is great. If people thought that was going to be our team, they were sorely mistaken. We arent close to that level, which is why you cant have the leagues worst QB and expect to win anything.

jjt4201 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  11. jjt4201

jjt4201 Active Member

The defense is not good. I don't care what it was ranked last year, there was never a time where the def consistently dominated. They give up yards to everyone. There was a stretch, in the beginning of the season last year, where the def was legit, but it was clear they could not stop a final drive or a screen play. There has never been a moment past when Breece Hall was injured, where the defense looked capable of a championship. If I can see it, then certainly other teams will game plan for it. You can't run a team without gold standards at LB and a plan to cover the middle of the field. Let's not talk about Wilson, because I think it's quite clear he is who he is. I know a couple of voices besides mine pointed out that it was highly unlikely that AR would make it an entire season. Just common sense. Yet, we are in exactly the same position as last year. Those who don't learn from their mistakes....yadda yadda yadda, but you know what, the problem is and remains the serious stupid at the top the franchise. Johnson is consistent at doing the wrong thing for his personnel, involving himself emotionally and intellectually because he is mentally weak and needs public attention and approval, and does not have the mental capacity to run a competent franchise. He is absolutely the joke of the NFL. He is very much the same as Zach and probably sees himself in him. Another person with very little real talent but a ton of privilege, getting them into important positions they would otherwise not inhabit, simply due to luck of the birth lottery.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We were fourth in points allowed and yards allowed last year. What the fuck are you guys talking about?

The defense struggled yesterday and didn’t look good. I don’t really know why they weren’t trying to get their hands up. Dak was getting rid of it before any rush in the league could get there. It was a really bad gameplan versus a really good one.

Jets81, KY Jets Fan and stinkyB like this.
  13. jets4848

jets4848 Trolls

defense sucks one week, they stink

offense sucks every week, let’s make excuses

14. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Lets not call this defense a fraud. They were out there for 40mins, way too long. Also last week they made josh allen and the vaunted buffalo herd look foolish.

15. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Our most elite playmaker on D that we’ve now solidified into our centerpiece for the foreseeable future is great, but he’s never been a game changer. Frankly thus far Sauce has regressed and I’m not willing to put him in the elite category until he shows he’s consistently there. You watch guys like Parsons, that’s elite football. That man single handedly disgraced all 5 of our lineman throughout the game.

16. jjt4201

jjt4201 Active Member

You keep pointing to those stats - are they championship caliber or no? Were they last year? What did they improve on this year? So did AR make the defense better? You don't know cause see 'ranked 4th' and then your brain stops working. I watched the games, I don't need stats to tell me what I was looking at. Last week was the Bills, the Bills lose to Wilson now consistently, I have nothing to explain for that, other than it's the freakin Bills. But the three things I understood at the beginning of the season, the defense is unable to stop screen plays and slants, AR would not last past preseason (I was wrong), and that Wilson was clearly going to be QB this year. The last time this defense was good is when we had Sheldon Rankings and Nathan Shepard prior to the first Buffalo game and before Rankins became injured. You guys always confuse what good interior lineman look like because the Jets are always drafting DE's that can only really stop the run. If they happen to draft a DE that can dominate in all aspects, he is then usually moved to the interior. The Jets love playing guys out of the position like they think they are inventing something new.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

They haven’t won a championship so no, they’re not championship calibre.

Jermaine Johnson is not a run-stopper by any stretch. He’s looked good as an edge rusher.

What are you talking about with Rankins and Nathan Sheppard? Quinnen Williams was an All-Pro last year and is the best defensive lineman we’ve had since John Abraham.

The Bills have won the division the past three years.

What a jumbled mess that post is.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  18. jjt4201

jjt4201 Active Member

Oh you wanna just talk junk, I don't care. That's all you'll ever have at your intellectual disposal. Actually, Jermaine Johnson seems like another DE that can stop the run, he seemed to get off his blocks as far as I can tell. I think he is a very good lineman, but he's not an interior lineman. Your rebuttal sounds like you are confused about why we were ever a good defense last year and how it stopped being able to stop anyone after the first Bills game (at least not consistently) so maybe get off the stats and watch the film. Edumacate yourself genius.

19. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I have to think that the previous Monday night game was a big factor in this loss. First, it was an emotional rollercoaster: losing AR in the 1st series and winning in OT. In addition, playing extra time in OT takes more energy. Then after the game, the team finds out that AR is done for the season. Finally, it was a short week for the Jets.

typeOnegative13NY likes this.
  20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The third down conversions were also absolutely brutal. I don't have the numbers but it felt like we could never get off the field on 3rd down, even on 3rd and long.

ouchy and KY Jets Fan like this.