Franchise QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by cval, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

You sir are very wrong...If the Lion, Mofo, and even Snax become top end players we will hang onto em.

Geno is not getting paid $100 million dollars after 4 years.

2. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

Wilks is a must sign, Richardson looks like an absolute keeper going forward, still not sold long-term on Coples being a player that isn't expendable especially if it meant locking up a top 10 QB long-term. Geno has a long way to get to that level, but if he does, Idzik would discard a guy like Coples in the overall interest of the team.

I took a lot of heat for comparing Geno to Ryan when we drafted him (fans tend to never be able to grasp inter-racial QB comparisons so when we got Geno all you heard was RG3, McNabb, Aaron Brooks, etc.), I just saw Geno as a natural pure passer and student of the game like Ryan was. Let's hope Geno can get to Ryan's level, I'd take that for the next decade.

3. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Plz explain why just 3 years mark.

4. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

He compares more to Aaron Rodgers and Andrew luck actually in terms of as a prospect. Hes a pocket passer with the ability to kill you with his legs if you play too much man coverage. Matt Ryan is more in the Tom Brady Peyton Manning mould.

5. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

Style of play-wise, yes, but I think it would be unfair to saddle the kid with comparisons to Rodgers as that is a near impossible standard to meet. His numbers through 5 games sort of mirror Luck's first 5 games last year, and both guys are pocket passers that can hurt you with their legs. Obviously, he doesn't have Luck's size or hype. If he gives us a 62%, 4,000 yard, 21 TD, 20 INT season, I'd be pretty happy overall. I think drafting QB next year would not even be a consideration if Geno did that.

6. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

I didn't flat out compare them I said in terms of a prospect as in he fits their mould more than the pure pocket passers in the league.

7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

3-5 however long Genos rookie contract is. In that time we can load up with talent but eventually the talent must be paid. It does not take rocket scientist to look around the league and see that when Qbs get paid 20% of the salary cap the rest of the team will suffer.

I am not even talking the future pro bowl players not yet on the roster on the offense side of the ball.

8. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

So basicly you saying we wont be able to keep our talent on D for more then 5 years? just asking cuz we got the 5th youngest team in the NFL

9. laxin

laxin Active Member

Id personally like to see if the rookie wage scale will have any effect on 2nd contracts, specifically for QBs. I cant see a team going from paying a QB on his first contract about 1-3 million a year, to 15-20 million on his 2nd contract.

10. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

flacco bet on himself and hit the jackpot ... the odds of that happening were long, so the ravens took the risk

the falcons did not gut their defense to pay matt ryan, he already had a huge cap number from his pre-rookie wage scale contract ... their defense is decimated due to injuries and a lack of depth, partly due to the julio jones trade

this is just false in todays NFL ... with the ability to carry excess cap from year to year, keeping all of these players is absolutely manageable, given we dont splurge in FA

11. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

It's not easy to find a true franchise Qb even if you have the first overall pick in the NFL draft. There are plenty of busts or guys who were ok but not great. So just because you have a high pick doesn't mean you are set at that position. Just ask the Jets. The one mistake they made with Mark (and there are many) was staying too long with a Qb who underperforms. (another mistake-no competition for four straight years) In Mark's case it was harder because he and the team had early success. But to me you can be very successful with just a good Qb who can smartly manage a team even if he doesn't have the wow factor or a big time arm. And use those resources (and cap space) for depth on the lines, etc. If you have a franchise Qb keep him. But to me the strategy to build a franchise does not have to rely on having one.