Fox Sports Current Starting O-line

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Big Derty

Big Derty Active Member

I am not sure about this but did richard Seymour or Vince Wilfork ever play in the 3-4? Nope. They turned out ok, and Mario has the strength and size to play end, what makes you think he cant play there? Because he is athletic?

2. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

the problems i have in drafting Brick are:

1) we have Jones who deserves another shot at LT because, with a better cast around him, he may perform well; as a former TE, still learning the position, he's got the athletic potential to thrive at LT.
    (a) if we move Jones to RT, we're not sure what kind of production we're getting because we don't know if he's any good at RT; look at the build of good RT's (i.e. McKenzie, McNeil in this year's draft), they're all bigger, slower, and stronger than Jones. at least we've seen Jones at LT and know he's capable of playing the postion. for all intensive purposes, the guy was a rookie last year. give him time to learn.

2) obviously, Brick is the better prospect at LT (than Jones). so we'd start Brick over Jones, which is an upgrade.
    (a) with all of our needs, we really can't afford to upgrade at a position where we may already have a starting LT in Jones; especially when that upgrade is the #4 overall pick -- with that valuable a pick, you don't just upgrade.
    (b) say Brick starts and Jones cannot play RT or flat-out sucks at RT (maybe the staff currently thinks he cannot play RT) and he rides the bench; then we still have to use another pick on a starting RT.
    (c) therefore, we've used two picks (LT+RT) when we could have only spent one on a starting RT, while letting Jones start at LT, and get a starter at a different position of need. with needs at G and possibly C (depending on Kendall), we need to get the most out of who we have; especially if Jones has the potential.

thus, using #4 on Brick isn't worth it until Jones has been fully assessed which, obviously, is done by the coaching staff, not us. no matter our opinions on Jones, Mangini and Co. will ultimately decide his role.

drafting a G and RT somewhere between #29 and R3 will be the best value, still allowing us to get good players at other positions, while fixing our OL until further improvement in 2007.

cheers

3. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

Listen Amadeus, this is a football board, your gonna have to tone down the intellect.

Brad Hopkins is still available I believe, Id not be surprised if he ended up here to play right tackle. Other than that, just be greatful that they dont play games in April.

4. Pride

Pride New Member

Calm down Vinnyandthejets its not ferguson or bust. They have this concept in the NFL Draft called rounds in which you can fill team needs and build depth. I doubt the first round is the only round to get a tackle