Fox Sports Current Starting O-line

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Mar 27, 2006.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah I know what you are saying. Good point.

2. VinnyAndTheJets88

VinnyAndTheJets88 New Member

Good man, we start the mangini era by putting together a solid o-line for years to come... I dont see how people can argue o-line isnt our biggest need

3. VinnyAndTheJets88

except he doesnt fit in a 3-4 which is what we're using... everyone keeps dreaming about mario but its not gonna happen, hes a perfect fit at DE in 4-3, I understand everyone wants a "sexy" pick but sexy doesnt win games... we need to improve our o-line and with one of the best o-line drafts ever thats exactly what we're going to do

4. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

no one really argues against it being our biggest need.

some people - including myself - argue that we don't need to spend 3 or 4 of our first 4 picks on the OL. the #4 overall is tricky because, ideally, you want a playmaker there, and Brick isn't that (although he looks like an excellent pass blocking LT).

furthermore, it's an ongoing debate whether or not Jones can be our future LT. I, for one, feel he has the potential; the only people who really know and will decide are the coaches.

Lastly, we can address the OL and improve it without entirely fixing the whole thing this year. Let's say we draft two starting OL within the first three rounds; that should suffice for a year until we can find another good lineman next year.

we're rebuilding. sometimes you need to take four 45-degree angles before you make a complete 180.

cheers

5. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Thats incorrect. Katnick will be at C on opening day.

Jones,Kendall,Katnick.Giles, ??????

6. Big Derty

Big Derty Active Member

ATHLETIC. STRONG 6'7 290.....explain how he doesnt fit?

If he doesnt fit who does?

#26 Big Derty, Mar 27, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  7. The Uniform Bomber

to complete your prognostication, I'd like either Winston Justice or Marcus McNeil as that big RT to solidify the line.

cheers

8. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

I agree, Ferguson and Mangold are musts.....

9. VinnyAndTheJets88

2 picks is what I'm saying, D'brick at the 4, mangold at 29... even if jones is a solid tackle (which he didnt show me last year) we still need another (unless u plan on using cavka)... d'brick is going to be one of the best tackles in the league, why pass on that? He fills our biggest need and is by far one of the best players in the draft... i know everyone likes the glamour pick but we have to be smart about this, no qb now and mario doesnt fit in a 3-4, we have to see what we got with penny and ramsey as much as everyone doesnt like it, u said yourself were rebuilding and personally i think we'll be fine, and if not at least we know for sure next year neither of them are going to work out

10. Hobbes3259

Ferguson will not be a Jet, Write it down now.

It works like this.

Mangini, and Bellichik, measure player worth in a very particular way.

$$$$ per impact play. What is the Difference over the course of a season between Adrian Jones, in Sept. and Ferguson.....Not much. (Dont forget you can always go TE on that side, if necessary.)

However, those cap $$$ register far more impact, at the LB position. Or the RB position....

It is far easier to find a OLineman, that registers a negligable difference on the scale of best to worst, than a LB, or RB, or QB, and so on...go bak and look at the pats Draft choices...They like DL/Te, Why?

Because skills at those positions are hardest to come by when comparing a scale of players, versus their Opponents...

At 4, Mario, Davis, or Hawk....

11. VinnyAndTheJets88

You all love him cuz he has the ability to rack up sacks but thats not what u ask from your DE in a 3-4, you need a wide body to eat up blocks and stuff the run and hes never played in a 3-4... plus what do u think we're doing with kimo, ellis, pope, etc, we have guys who can play there, who do we have at OT, cavka?? we need a tackle much more and you have no argument saying mario's more talented than d'brick, they're both top 5 picks in a very talented draft and brick fills a MUCH bigger need

12. VinnyAndTheJets88

WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN D'BRICK AND JONES?????? you must be kiddin

13. VinnyAndTheJets88

and more importantly whats the difference between d'brick and cavka or whoever else u wanna throw in there

14. The Uniform Bomber

two years ago NE drafted OL Mankins at the end or R1 which, at the time, appeared to be a reach. Mankins panned out and now is seemingly a good pick.

you make a good point though about that style of evaluation, and i understand there's a difference between an OL at #4 versus #32. i don't think they'll go for Ferguson, but i also wouldn't rule it out

cheers

15. Hobbes3259

Maybe you should study what you THINK you know, before you actually spout off.....

I said, in Sept 2006, what is the difference...

read --->http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2004/draft/players/43855.html

# of Impact plays over 16 games, This year....Don't you even watch football?

I'm in a good mood so I'll help you out a bit.Tackles don't pull. Guards Do...now go back and look at New Englands previous drafts and tell me what you see.

and going further, The FA market (which means in 4 or 5 years, if your pick is any good, you'll be paying top $$$ just to KEEP him) is huge for tackles.

You make do at tackle, and scheme against a DL, with a TE, and Play calling.

You Draft Guards, and Players where the impact V. their opponent is greater.

Ferguson will not be a Jet, unless he gets drunk, arrested and falls to 29.

#35 Hobbes3259, Mar 27, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  16. Hobbes3259

Mankins was a GUARD.

17. The Uniform Bomber

my bad. i assumed you meant OL in general, not specifically T.

i get what you're saying though.

cheers

18. Hobbes3259

That answers my other question.

The Side of the line, they play on. And there is a HUGE difference between LT and RT and trying to draft Ferguson to play RT, would pretty much assure yourself of a holdout, because the pay scale is completely different.

19. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

we are looking at another 4-12 season, with chad facing retirement due to injury with that O-Line

20. VinnyAndTheJets88

What makes u think Jones is so good?? and a better question who said Ferguson would be playing RT? He'll play LT because he is much better than Jones and we'll give Jones the season to prove himself on the right side (because he wasnt impressive anywhere last year)... if we draft Brick we're not signing him for 4 years either, more like 6-7, and is your point that because we'll have to pay him then (which is a while away) we should just accept crappy tackleS?? He's an impact player and fills our biggest need, who do u want us to draft? u think we're not gonna have to pay them?? and to respond to your guard point, how much did Steve Hutchinson just get?? oh yea, 50 mil... if u want to keep good players your going to have to pay them eventually and its most important right now for us to solidify our line because if u havent noticed we have no one