For the first time in years......

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by cbman13, Sep 16, 2016.

1. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

We are going to be carried by our offense...... The D is the after thought now...... Never thought I'd say that.....

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call the defense an "after thought".

Balance is a good thing.

3. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

We need to figure out how to eliminate the big plays. That's what has killed our defense past 2 games

4. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

If we can just find our way to make our secondary consistent then this will be a pretty hard team to beat. We won't have any huge weaknesses then. The next five games will be tough though.

fansince90 likes this.
  5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I mean big plays do happen in football. We aren't the only team getting beat by them. Never fun to watch but we'll never completely eliminate them.

Burnz and fansince90 like this.
  6. rikj99

rikj99 Member

This game was two long bombs from Taylor and the fumble return for 6 away from being a complete blowout. The defense was perfectly good other than the bombs. It is good that the Offense can be relied upon to respond accordingly though, very pleasing.

NYJetsO12 and fansince90 like this.
  7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Simple, eliminate Revis.

Burnz and NYJetsO12 like this.
  8. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Last night our defense balanced on its back. Greg Salas had a 70+ yard TD. Those guys couldn't catch a cold.

9. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

I think each group will perform on a week to week basis. They will take turns shining and the games both sides play well we will dominate.

10. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

I always liked Salad.

11. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Offense looked great. I think they maybe punted once?

Defense was pretty good too, with the exception of those two plays. Maybe we'll look back at the Bengals loss, like we do to the Ravens loss in week 1 of the 2010 season. Team made the playoffs, but had a tough loss to start the year against a playoff team.

If the Jets can get to 3-3 (even 2-4), I think they make the playoffs. The stretch of Baltimore, at Cleveland, at Miami and LA before the bye is looking very good.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

The problem is that they're not using Revis correctly. Revis is the best press corner in the NFL. When he's pressing his upper body strength destroys timing routes, as well as, other routes generally. For some reason, they don't seem to have him pressing much and they have him playing off in coverage, where his age is impacting his ability to stay with speedy receivers. Maybe his wrist's not fully healed yet and that's why he's not pressing as much. He absolutely needs to press to be effective against speedy receivers. On virtually every play where he's gotten burned this year he's been playing off the receiver. If they let him play press coverage most of the time he'll be a very solid corner for us (assuming his wrist's OK of course).

NYJFOREVER and PulseJet like this.
  13. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Exactly. This game should have been a route - Something like 37-10. The Bengals game should have been something similar as well. AJ Green touchdown, that 47 yard pass to the TE which set up 3 more, and that 3rd and 18 that Williams got torched on. SHOULD have won that game 26 - 10. Nonetheless, coulda shoulda woulda. We are 1-1 and have a long rest to prepare for KC. On to Kansas City!!

14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Having a D that gives up a lot of yards and points but a high scoring offense to offset it is a pretty liberal use of the word balance.

15. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Hopefully before we play Pittsburgh or that game could get ugly quick.

16. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I think the Jets Defense is being a little bit misrepresented here-- Yes, they absolutely got burned by a handful of big plays. No, they didn't get any pressure on the QB.

However, I think both of those things were part of the game plan. The D-line was super disciplined in maintaining their gaps and keeping Tyrod Taylor in the pocket (something that they weren't too good at in last years' games, BTW). The secondary did a great job of eliminating quick dump off passes and screens (something they weren't too good at in last years' games, BTW).

So we forced Taylor to stay in the pocket and beat us deep. He did beat us deep a couple of times. But did you see how differently the D-line played when EJ came in during Taylor's concussion scare? That pocket was gone in a heartbeat.

That's how it goes--if your game plan is to take away certain plays, it always leaves you vulnerable to others. As much as the D, and the coaching staff is being shit on, I think both did a pretty good job at making a plan and executing that plan. Obviously, there's room for improvement.

And we won the game.

Freddy Mondo and nyjrkm06 like this.
  17. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

The thing about the big plays is they're easy to identify and correct. Last week Williams blew a coverage, yesterday Miles blew a coverage. Between that Revis got beat straight up. Watch the film and fix it. The big plays don't bother me as much as the dink and dunk, getting beat 5 times on third down like the end of the Cincy game. I think the D will even out over time, we have too much talent on that side not to.

rikj99 and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The way they won last night- - I realize its been forever since a Jets team won a game like that but that's how a lot of teams win in 2016. NE wins 10 games a year like that for example.

I'm not sayin alot of teams dont win with defense but everything about that game was modern football. Passing attack down the field in the middle, efficient passing, don't fall apart when the other team makes a play - just outscore them.

It was nice to see the Jets play 2016 football for once instead of the team on the otherside playin 1994 style.

KurtTheJetsFan and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

we gave up 7 points of offense and 7 in the prevent ... 17 is not "a lot of points"

BrowningNagle likes this.
  20. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

i dont think hes close to his usual level of upper body strength right now ... with his wrist surgery, i doubt that he was able to work out his upper body much this summer