for kinghenry and other naysayers of clemens

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by realisticduck, Jun 22, 2006.

1. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

The debate will rage on about Clemens until he actually takes some live snaps...even in pre-season would be something of an indicator.

10 things I can think of....hmmm...

1) I like the coaching youth movement...these guys have to cut their teeth somewhere and I like the businesslike way they are handling things. (large shock coming) I kinda agree with Champ I really was not enamoured with the pack at #4...but I agree with the philosophy they are trying to employ. You build from within out. The pick at 29 was solid. You can't hit playmakers in stride if you playing from your ass.

2) I like our linebacking corps. Not super spectacular outside of Vilma but solid all the way around. I think they need to use BT's speed as a linear pass rusher as he doesn't go east and west very well...but I like it.

3) Our secondary should be solid as well.

<sigh> sadly that's all I can come up with...3 measly KNOWN positives. The O-line is a question mark....the only guy on that line that is for sure money is Kendall...when he's NOT snapping the ball. QB...yeah..well documented territory here...but I think Clemens will be fine as long as he can sit a year or so. D-Line....well Ellis will be fine...I'm concerned with D-Rob and the other unknowns...RB...Need I go further...aging Martin and saw enough of Cedric to say he would be a good change of pace back but nothing that would lead me to believe he could handle a starters load.

Basically boils down to relying on the defense again. The O is just too many question marks. I like our receiving corps but the question marks at QB kind of nullify that...all in all I would consider this a VERY successful season if they nail 8 wins but more realistically like 6 or 7 which would still be a step in the right direction.

Peace!

The Mezz

2. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

Of course what I resent more than my excellent arguement being ignored is that I am labeled a "darksider" just for not agreeing with Tangini once.

3. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

One more positive that gets overlooked - Ben Graham. Probably one of the most underated positions on the field besides kicker.

Here's a reach for a positive - the healthy competition that will take place. A complete 180 from Herm's stance our team should continue to improve all thoughout camp and the season as the player's push each other. If I were a betting man I'd imagine Mangini will be giving a speech at the end of camp along the lines of "because you won the position in camp by no means guarentees you will retain it throughout the season".

4. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

That is why I rate the posters so I know exactly what I am dealing with in terms of understanding the game. Maybe you should do the same then it becomes easier to deal with the ones who constantly accuse you of being a troll cause they dislike what you are saying. If they had any smarts they may have sat down & evulated the post that POed them & maybe they would learn something & beocme a little bit smarter but they are held back by there blindness to defend the NYJs at all cost right or wrong

5. crazylion26

crazylion26 New Member

He might be one of the best and underated steals in the draft. Without the injury, he most likely would have gone top 10, maybe top 5 if he kept up his stats and stayed on pace. Great job FO.

6. ROCaMOB

ROCaMOB New Member

I don't know why you all snap on ranjensen for expressing his opinion. He is part of the reason why this board is interesting. Try giving the man a counterpoint instead of the usual -- calling him a troll and telling him he should be banned.

7. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I like Rajensen viewpoint but if he wasn't a troll he would respond and debate rather than throwing a scud missle into the crowd and hiding.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Lord knows I'll support negative commentary on the Jets as long as it's balanced by a belief on my part that the person speaking is actually a Jets fan. I'm not sure about Rajensen yet on that one.

The other thing that needs to be there is a certain level of reasonableness. Hating on the Jets constantly when they are entering a year in which they are rebuilding and have admitted so seems kind of base to me. There's literally nothing the current management could have done, given the wreck they inherited, to win the race this year. Standing on the sidelines and jeering at them before they've even played a game seems just wrong.

9. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

So it's only alright to jeer the Jets when they have a good team?

10. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

He's not saying that at all. He is saying that to blame the current management for what the old management did is baseless.
    Bradway is one of the posters that points out tons of negative things about the Jets whether they were playing well or not, but he, like you have a point and can discuss it.
    Rajens will just post an article from whatever site and then leave without the discussion.
    Thats the difference.

11. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

Gotcha, I misread his post. My apologies Br4dw4y5ux.

12. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I have no problem with fans of other teams or none Jet fans or Jet fans bashing the Jets. I think he makes a reasonable point that we could have taken Lienart or Clemens is over-rated because his numbers were put up in a run and shoot O. The new management has certainly made some moves which are worthy of second guessing. My real objection still comes down to him not willing to engage. I just personally prefer hate with understanding.:smile:

13. MatinDoyle

MatinDoyle New Member

I liiked the cutler mores then the Clemens, but nows he a Jet so I roots for him #1. beats the Noodle Clemens ha-ha lol :breakdance:

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I've been thinking about it some more and the issue I have is that he's ALWAYS highly negative about whatever topic he discusses relating to the Jets.

There's literally nothing about the Jets that he does not think stinks at the moment. Even in my most pissed off phases in 2004 I always gave the Jets credit for the things they were doing right at the same time I hammered them for doing the shirtsleeves to shirtsleeves thing in four years flat.

From Champ it's kind of charming because he really does represent the frustrated everyman Jets fan in a kind of twisted (sorry Champ you know I think your heart is in the right place) way.

I'm not sure troll is the right word for what Rajensen posts but it's so highly negative that it's hard to distinguish the difference.

15. oldduck

oldduck New Member

Clemens didn't play in a "run and shoot" offense. His senior year he played in a spread offense. It's, admittedly, geared toward attacking the defense through the air...but it has a lot of rush offense aspects to it as well (remember that Luke Staley led the nation in rushing as a senior at BYU in this same offense coached by the same OC - Gary Crowton).

The OC before Crowton (Andy Ludwig) was the worst thing that could have happened to Oregon's offense, and especially to Oregon's QBs. He was a coach who admittedly did not like coaching (teaching) and abdicated much of his "hands on" teaching to the only veteran QB he had (a one-year starter) Jason Fife. Anyone who watched Oregon during the transition from Jeff Tedford (Clemens' first OC) through Ludwig saw a team (and a group of highly regarded young QBs) regress and lose self-confidence.

Enter a new OC (one who loves to teach) and suddenly Oregon went from 5-6 to 10-2. Clemens, with the coaching staff he's with now, has what it takes to be everything we all want him to be.

Oh...and he's NOT injury prone at all. That ankle was a fluke and the only even slightly major injury he had.

Kellen Clemens is a quality person and a VERY good QB. He's going to make Jets fans VERY happy before his career is over.

#55 oldduck, Jun 30, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2006