For argument sake!!! Outside the Box Thinking

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by wildaces, Apr 3, 2012.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The sad thing is, I can totally see Tanny doing this.

2. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Unless someone else trades up, if Richardson falls past the Rams, he can easily be a Jet. That's why I am hesitant at us trading up.

3. patfanken

patfanken Banned

Its NOT giving up 3 picks. In reality you only lose one of your 10 picks this season.

BTW- I only brought it up as a more cost effective way to for the Jets to get a better RB, than signing Ray Rice from the Ravens. Secondly. Richardson is probably the best RB prospect to come out since AP. He'd make any team better. But he'd have even MORE value to the Jets than just about any team in the league. Wouldn't that be worth some draft pick in the 50's who at best will probably be a situational player., and then not have to give up an equally risky choice until next April? One in the hand vs 2 in the bush. Was an adage ever more appropriate. :)

4. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

I think its a bad idea, but its still 10000x better than the OPs idea.

5. SKIBA-JONES

SKIBA-JONES New Member

If Greene would run north and south he could be a good ground and pound type guy hes got the size and build not an overly fast guy but hes deff. a type of RB that can bang between the tackle box. His problem is he always tries to bounce it outside when hes not quick or fast enough 1st and 2nd down he needs to realize hes there to break down that D-line and pick up the hard yards 3-4 yrds a carry may not seem like much but it would bring up a 3rd n short or reasonable for us instead of us having 3 long situations. Joe is the change of pace type player that can take it the distance.

6. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

Two first round picks and a big contract for a running back. Not a good idea at all.

7. reverseapachemaster

I'll take any option that involves never seeing Greene be in a position to drop a pass again.

8. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

And another year of ignoring the pass rush. No thanks.

9. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

This.

/pleasedon'ttradeupfiller

10. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

Despite all the media draft analysts' love for Ryan Tannehill, I think Cleveland passes on him to nab Richardson at #4. I don't think the Jets' first and 2 seconds will get them up to the #3 pick.

11. jlee499

jlee499 Member

All at the same time? That is definitely an impossible deal, but thought provoking :metal:...

As for the 'out of the box' idea, I agree that our cap situation and the effect on our team would be long term destructive. Nice thought if it were possible though.

12. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

We will be running the ball a lot more with the addition of Tebow already so I don't really think we need a RB as much. Greene will be able to run the option with Tebow which should help him as he's not just going to run straight up the middle into a pile already. McKnight has some speed and can get around the edge. Tebow was brought in to help our run game which sucked last year and Denver had the number 1 rush O.

13. Borgata

Borgata Active Member

I don't think it matters what RB you put back there if teams are stacking the box.

A more consistent Sanchez will make Greene or any RB on this team look a lot better.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Curtis Martin, Jerome Bettis, Marshall Faulk, that's 3 of the top 10 who did most of their damage after being traded or acquired as a free agent.

15. Rawrk

Rawrk New Member

mjd reads your quote and laughs!

HA! HA! HA!

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

true story

17. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

I understand what you're trying to do but...

1) ray Rice is good...i'm not sure he's THAT good. IMHO the ravens o-line is underrated and accounts for a larger portion of rice's performance than people credit. (think emmit smith with the cowboys...remember what Blair Thomas did in his one game running behind that line)
    2) improving the Jets line by drafting a couple of beefaloes will make whoever they put back there look much better than they are. (or grabbing a quaility free agent or two) and improve the passing game as whoever is at QB will have more time.
    3) consistently great teams are not made by trading away high draft picks.

18. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I love the idea but can it work with the cap and not bite us in the ass at other positions of need?

19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Ray Rice is not worthy of giving up two first round pick. Not when it would destroy our cap and not allow the Jets to remain competitive. We are just not that flush with talent that we could blow 2 first rounders. The Jets have many holes to fill on both sides of the ball with a GM who seems to be off his rocker lately. With Greene, McKnight, Powell I know it doesn't look menacing but it is what it is and who knows we might get lucky in the draft and get our own Ray Rice just a cheaper version or Powell might turn out to be productive.

20. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I don't know...Ray Rice is a few years in the league now. And, he's taken a beating. I'd prefer to draft someone...heck if you want to blow that many draft picks then go up and get the young man from Alabama. He's fresh and he probably will be cheaper than Rice. But I like your thinking.