For all the Rex haters, Now that he's gone...

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Royal Tee, Dec 31, 2014.

1. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

because we are the only team that ever commits dumb penalties? again, every team does this in pretty much every game.

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

GREAT POST........

while I'll admit, I'm a REX fan, it was time for him to go. Unfortunately I think that like Pete Carrol he will learn from his mistakes and see success elsewhere.

I just hope he's not replaced by Kotite 2.0

Axel3419 and mezzavo like this.
  3. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Wow, just........wow

4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Bottom line...talent wins games. Scheme, strategy and health have a hand in winning games. But, if you do not have the horses to play you can scheme all day long and have the healthiest team in the league but you will not beat the team with superior talent. ESPECIALLY at the QB position. Now, if you have superior skill talent you can have an average QB and pull it off as well. But when you have neither one nor the other...you could have the best coaches in the world and it's not going to matter in the slightest over the long haul. There will be those games that you get "up" for and sheer will and determination can result in a win but that's not something that can be sustained over a 16 game season. Rex Ryan has his flaws...he has his positives. His flaws are no where near as BAD as some would have you believe and the same goes for his positives.

Was it his time to go...debatable. It depends upon your school of thought. If you feel that a change should only happen when a coach becomes ineffective to motivate his players and what he is teaching becomes useless or out of date then Rex Ryan should still be the HC of the NY Jets. It was blatantly clear that he had that locker room lock stock and barrel. His philosophies were and are still fresh and effective. Now, if you feel that your record is "who you are" as far as a head coach goes and that is the end all be all finale stamp then those folks are correct. Rex should have been fired.

You said it was "debatable" whether it was time for Rex to go? Um, 4 consecutive non-winning seasons and a 4-12 record this year. Terrible clock management, no discipline, penalty after penalty, and Rex endlessly singing the praises of guys like Clyde Gates, Garrett McIntyre, and Ras Dowling (or whatever he calls himself now). Not a very difficult choice which side of this "debate" most people would want to argue. Apparently a coach "having" the locker room is of critical importance to you--I prefer team wins, rather than constantly losing "together."

5. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

There's a lot of evidence that they weren't effective or fresh. TWELVE of them and a defense that was abysmal on 3rd downs and that gave up a ton of points. And that was the side of the ball where he had been most effective.

6. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I wasnt convinced before but that argument has totally swung me.

7. hardcharger

hardcharger Trolls

The big difference between Ryan and Carrol is Ryan is arrogantly stupid.
    He never did learn with Sanchez, and yes Sanchez is still a backup.
    And he never learned with Geno Smith.
    He's one of those kids that jumps off a dock carrying an anchor, yelling, "watch me swim".

8. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Happy New Year and thank you Mezz!!

mezzavo likes this.
  9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

It's called a 2 yr old temper tantrum that smashes his favorite toy.

10. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Nice write up and thank you for taking the time to do it, but... It doesn't debunk anything about Rex's game day management. You can't just throw out the 4 challenges lost, those are still TO's we could have used at better times during the game. 4 games is a very small sample size, I think most would agree Rex had his good games as well as bad.
    And the 3, 12 men on the field penalties, league average is less than 1. That doesn't count the TO's we used to save from a 12 men penalty. In the last Miami game we burned a TO to save from a 12 men penalty and two plays later we got a 12 men penalty. That's sloppy undisciplined football.

Defensive holding: 10. league avg: 6.8
    Unnecessary roughness: 8. league avg: 4.9
    Unsportsmanlike conduct: 4. LA: 2
    More here. http://www.nflpenalties.com/team/new-york-jets?view=penalties&year=2014
    There are very few categories of penalties that we are not on the wrong side of. That's not a talent issue, that's a coaching issue.

I don't hate Rex, I'm thankful for what he did here, I just don't think he can take us to the next level.

11. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Thanks!!! A little rebuttal....

I feel what you are saying here and we'll agree to disagree a little bit. I think we could easily have gotten to the Super Bowl with Ryan with a talent upgrade at the QB position.

Penalties are on the player not the coach. This is professional football here not pee wee. If I, as your boss, told you not to do something at work and you continue to do it does that make me a bad manager for not telling you...when I had told you multiple times...or does that make you a bad employee for not correcting the mistake that you yourself are responsible for? There is a certain level of culpability that must be owned by the player. I do not think they just show up at practice and decide to not say anything. I refuse to believe that "pushups" was the only punishment for continued infractions. Everything that goes on in that locker room is not public knowledge you know.

I will definitely give you some games where it looks like the team is not prepared. That is 100% on the coaches. I guess the biggest glaring example is Ryan's record coming off Byes. Isn't he like 1 - 5 or 0 - 6? Now that is an unacceptable number. Especially coming off a time where they should be the MOST prepared. However, taking the whole thing...the whole body of work into consideration...Ryan is still one of the better coaches in the league. Just my opinion...

12. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

quick question for you - if you were head coach of the Jets who would you have started in place of Sanchez?

you can choose from the following QBs that would have been available to you between 2009 - 2013:

- Kellen Clemmons
    - Mark Brunell
    - Tim Tebow
    - David Garrard

Now I am sure that you can point to the starting caliber option on the roster that was clearly better than Sanchez/Smith at the time but I admit I am struggling to spot it (also keep in mind that Sanchez was a top 5 pick and signed to an insane old skool rookie contract which meant the team had to do everything in its power to try to make it work).

13. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I really hope to see him land in Buffalo,this way all of Woodys mistakes to get rid of guys can end up in the AFC east,Revis,Rex,Mr T

matt robinson 17 and mezzavo like this.
  14. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I guess Belichick must suck as a coach as well then as the Patriots have nearly double the league average of defensive holding penalties (way more than the Jets), have more unnecessary roughness penalties than the average, more defensive holding penalties, more false starts, more illegal blocks, more illegal use of the hands, more tripping, more chop blocks, more roughing the passer......

oh and 2 of those unsportsmanlike conduct penalties (without which we would be the same as the league average) were committed by Michael Vick - but I guess that's down to Jets coaching as well.....

BacktoQueens, Royal Tee and mezzavo like this.
  15. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

See...good post right there man! That is why I put context around the couple areas that I was talking about. ;)

16. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I've pointed this out to you before.
    2nd FEWEST penalties on defense this year. 16th fewest on offense (middle of the road).

hardly a team that has serious penalty issues. Way less than the 'disciplined' Patriots.
    i think it is you who needs to watch more football outside the Jets. The amount of laundry thrown is at ridiculous levels. It may seem we are getting a ton of flags, but in comparison, we were not a heavily penalized team by any means.

Royal Tee likes this.
  17. Bellows1

Are we comparing Rex to Bill? Or are you suggesting we should have more penalties?
    It doesn't matter what winning teams do, that's not even close to the discussion, we're talking about what the Jets have accomplished under Rex. How prepared the team is every week, and if we can overcome the bad play with good play. We cannot, that's the importance of playing good solid football, when things are not in your favor.

18. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

you seemed to be suggesting that the fact the Jets were above average in certain categories of penalties was due to them being badly coached

I was simply pointing out that every team is above average in some categories including the team led by supposedly the greatest coach in the NFL.

go look at the list of teams and you will see a mix of good and bad teams at the top - the top 6 most penalized teams are Seattle, Buffalo, St. Louis, Washington, New England and Denver - so 3 good teams and 3 bad ones - there is no meaningful correlation between penalties and discipline/quality of coaching because EVERY team gets hit with penalties

19. Bellows1

That's a fair point, but not really my point. Our team cannot overcome stupid penalties, our coaches need to emphasize that to the players. I think they've done a poor job at that.

Another difference... and this may just be my perception, but it seems ours come at the worst possible times in the game.

20. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

I agree I just hope our next coach is the one ready to take the next step and learn from his previous mistakes. That is why i want a gm first