For all the Rex haters, Now that he's gone...

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Royal Tee, Dec 31, 2014.

1. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

That never should have been forced to happen.

2. JetsVilma28

It was a year too soon. He should have been given an opportunity with pressure turned up to right the ship. You guys act like the draft is such an easy animal to tame. Not to mention all the other elements that go into making a pick like your boisterous defensive minded head coach.

3. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

They have to hold one he just had no clue what he was doing just like he had no idea how to use the 12 draft picks last May. The real question is how Terry Bradway is still employed.

4. JetsVilma28

Jace Amaro says hello. Calvin Pryor offers a "casual" salute.

The draft is "so" easy to get 'right'. Any old dog can get it right.

Agreed on Bradway.

#24 JetsVilma28, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If Rex was any good we would not have gone four straight years without a playoff experience.

Once the playoffs are over some more good coaches may shake loose as eliminated teams might look to clean house.

At least wait until we pick our coach before moaning how much better off you think we would be with Rex.

6. JetsVilma28

That is why 'we are in the media business'. There is no real reason for that press conference.

7. DoubleDecker87

Calvin Pryor? The guy was horrible, absolutely horrible. When half your draft picks are off the team by midyear that's a bad bad draft. We got one guy that made an immediate impact.

8. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

Rex is going to be the next ATL coach for a reason. We didn't suck these past 4 years because Rex was a bad football coach. It's no coincidence the Coaches with the longest tenures are the ones with franchise QBs.

We sucked in 2012 because of the team Tanny overpaid for. We sucked in 2013 because our roster was completely gutted, yet we go 8-8 due to Rex's good coaching if anything else. This year we bring in Decker, Giacommi and an underwhelming rookie class and we all of a sudden have playoff expectations?
    Rex got screwed because he had to deal with Tanny's mess with no solid reinforcements from Idzik.. Pretty sad he was tasked with making the playoffs every year while his GM was laying down one of the slowest rebuilds in NFL history.

He's not the perfect coach but neither is Marvin Lewis, Ron Rivera, John Fox, Mike Tomlin, Jeff Fisher but their excellent front offices never let their team become the mess this organization routinely becomes over our history.

If we pretended Rex wasn't our coach last 6 seasons he and Dan Quinn would be the top coaching candidates. Best of luck to our 2015 HC I sure hope we get our front office figured out or it won't be a long run here.. if we hire the right GM/HC/Coordinators combo we can be a playoff contender come 2016 season but if the next people fuck up we're further back then we are now.

9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If you like Rex so much, go root for Atlanta.

matt robinson 17 and TNJet like this.
  10. JetsVilma28

He's was a rookie safety that shows potential. So horrible that he found a starting job on Rex Ryan defense. The kid clearly hits like a freight train, which must be slightly intimidating to receivers like Edleman who love to test the middle of the field. Yes, he had probably some of the worst angles that led to miss tackles and huge gains of any safety in the league; it was awful to watch at times.

, but All Rookies should come in and be All Pro players in their first season, especially first rounders haha

11. DoubleDecker87

I'm not sure where your headed with this... I like Pryor lol I liked Pryor in college and think he will be good but you can't make excuses for him. He did not find a way into the starting lineup until we started removing veterans for younger guys. Landry/Jarrett started over him majority of the year. He has to get better next year.

12. JetsVilma28

Pryor started the first game of the season, I was there. He dropped an interception right in the middle of the field.

How did Pryor get the starting job out of camp? Rex, must of thought the kid was better than the Vets; or was it something else?

Edit: Pryor started every game until Pittsburgh week 10. That's 9 starts in his first 9 NFL games.

13. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

I agree the GM should come first and he should be able to pick his coach, but I don't think buttering up a few potential candidates is a bad thing. And NY does have an appeal, despite what is said here. Deckers wife probably had more than just a little to do with his decision...

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  14. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

I'll root for Atlanta next year in the playoffs while we're sitting home and the Rex bashers can't blame it on Rex anymore.

15. JetsVilma28

Deckers wife definitely had some say i'm sure. I think $$ had a loud voice too.

16. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

as I just mentioned in another thread - given that in his time at the Jets we never had a true pocket passer how do we know what the offensive philosophy would have been had we had that kind of player? we went ground and pound at the start because we had a good OL and a rookie QB and over time all we had was an increasingly bad OL and poor QB play.

I hope Rex goes to Atlanta as I will be interested to see what the approach is there.

17. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

this was the problem the whole of the last 6 years - no decent alternatives at the QB position - no even half decent alternatives. for me this is why most of the blame (not all of it) sits with the FO for failing to do anything to address that glaring problem.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  18. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

It is hard to say as the one thing we can surely all agree on is that the talent level on the Jets fell pretty much year by year during his tenure and IMO the performance of the HC is largely determined by the quality of the players available to them. It doesn't matter if you are making steps to improve your coaching if the team itself is getting worse year on year

that said I do think it was the right thing to make the change this off season as we need a complete change in all areas of the team.

19. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

And you notice the 49ers and Falcons are calling for rex after a 4-12 season, at least they see through the bullshit that was the talentless roster.

20. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Really getting sick of this crap and frankly, this shouldn't be posted in the New York Jets forum as Rex is no longer with the team.

As a Rex "hater", I haven't seen him improve anything with this team since taking over in '09 other than his defensive schemes. Special teams and offense have fallen off of a cliff since he took over. Rex's preference for a strategy of ground and pound and defense to win the game requires great situation awareness and discipline. Rex had none of that as we committed dumb penalties and were always short on timeouts. Unless he seriously goes out and learns how to be a true head coach and not a glorified defensive coordinator, he will never be successful as a head coach again.

With that said, the OP asked about the other candidates and let me just say that there are many that have the potential to be successful. You don't hold on to a coach because you're afraid he's the best we can do. Some of these coaches were less than successful the first time around, but who knows? Ask Pete Carroll or Belichick how they did the second time around. We deserve more as loyal fans, don't you agree?

NCJetsfan, jonnyd and TNJet like this.