Football Outsiders on Jets' OL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sozopol, Jan 3, 2007.

1. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2007/01/03/ramblings/every-play-counts/4770/

This site is generally full of good insight and statistical analysis, and here's an interesting article on the OL. Good fodder for the D'Brick debate, and I also like the observation on Adrian Jones coming in as a TE... and that BB is probably well aware of this wrinkle. The chess game behind the game.

Thing is, this site has been down on the Jets all year. Nothing emotional, just based on statistical analysis. Considered them one of the very worst teams going in to the season, and, based on their stat system of analysis, the Jets have continued to show poorly right up until this week... although they finally gave some props a few weeks ago, after the Bills or Vikes win. Pretty interesting because I think their system is fundamentally sound and I admire it.. but what is it missing about the Jets? Or is it missing anything?

2. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

Great find and a great article. I usually can't get through articles like this because they don't pay enough attention to detail and they are filled with fluff. However, this article was great in that regard. It showed many examples and seems right. I beleive that Ferguson will get much better with time and a little bit of added weight. I didn't realize how well Anthony Clement had played so thats a huge plus. The other intersting thing involves Adrian Jones. This mimicks what a poster on here said last week about D'Brick playing TE. Great idea from Mangini even if he doesn't use in againg the Pats.

3. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

The other funny thing about this site was in the playoff fantasy draft all eight teams drafted teams and not one person drafted a Jets player. I guess we know what they think our chances are.

4. DOOM

DOOM Active Member

Nice in depth article...Thanx

5. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

Yeah I think Ferg has a bright future and I'm glad we drafted him. The article implies that his strength is his smarts and study habits, as well as his feet. I would definitely take that over a big strong dude who can't get his assignments right and/or doesn't mentally and emotionally commit himself to his job. He will bulk up and take care of his "point of attack" problem.

Mangold, it goes without saying, is a gem. The Jets still need to address depth, particularly behind Kendall. I'm so glad the new regime focused on the OL immediately, it was so obviously our glaring weakness and is so crucial to success in the NFL. Another Bush or Leinart will come around but now we have a foundation for offesnsive success and hopefully continuity.

6. JetInAbsentia

JetInAbsentia New Member

Good catch.

Whether you're a detractor of supporter of D'Brick, as I am, it's common knowledge that he'll have to bulk up in the offseason. Alot of the points made in this article, though it's very good, are correctable and will be.

7. Bomber

Bomber New Member

Already been posted on here somewhere.