Flight 2021 Episodes #1 - #4 a must see

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Jun 21, 2021.

1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Love that show. Similar to Breaking Bad in that it gets significantly better every season. Vince Gilligan is a master showrunner.

2. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I never watched TV shows until the pandemic. I thought Breaking Bad was great but I like BCS even better. Agree on Gilligan. Have you watched Peaky Blinders that is arguably just as good if not better.

3. REVISion

Have tried to get into Peaky Blinders and have heard great things about it but for some reason I can never get into shows set in that era.

Noam likes this.
  4. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

Not even Boardwalk Empire?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. REVISion

Couldn't get into that either :/

I don't even know why, I just prefer shows set in the modern era much more. I liked Game of Thrones a lot though.

The Americans is a phenomenal show that doesn't seem to get much hype.

6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

My initial problem was understanding what they were saying. Turning on subtitles made all the difference for me. But, I can understand the time problem. For me I prefer gangster stories set in that time period as less technology simplifies the story better and makes it more believable.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Even if they all agree on a player, someone in the room should be tasked with making a case against drafting them. Helps avoid group think, and the argument they end up making could be compelling.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

I really like the detail about the player rankings, both direct and insinuated, in these episodes.

They clearly had Wilson as the #2 on their big board.
    They had AVT in their top-10. I'll throw out #9 just for the sake of this argument.
    They had Moore at #16.

So from their perspective, they were able to turn picks 2, 23, 34, 66, and 86 into players they had ranked 2, 9, and 16. It helps explain why they paid a slight premium to get AVT, and why Douglas was so fired up with how it all shook out (his reaction when they got AVT was more emotion than I've ever seen from him).

Obviously this all hinges on them being correct in their evals, and we pray that they are, but it really provides greater context to the conversation I've seen here about trading up vs just sitting back and taking a greater volume of players. They may have traded up to 14, but the value of the 14th pick wasn't the value of the player they wanted - AVT was valued 5 spots higher than that (or more).

If your first three picks in a draft are 2, 23, and 34, and you end up with players 2, 9, and 16 without trading future year capital, that is an absolutely MASSIVE, legendary level coup.

Now we just have to hope they're right. Fingers crossed.

Pepsiguy5, cval, mrjet80 and 5 others like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally agree. Sadly, some posters here cannot see that. They think that we're in horrible shape and that JD totally mishandled the draft.

Noam and KingRoach like this.
  11. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

The reactions by JD and company certainly bore out these sentiments. In an earlier post I warned about these videos being propaganda, but I still think it's something we all should watch. I know I get a proverbial stiffy seeing our coach and GM (we'll leave the owners out of it) giddy and hugging after those picks. And for those who have yet to watch or are not able to, the AVT trade and pick was absolutely the best pick Joe Douglas has made in his life based on his emotions. That's something we can be excited about.

12. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I usually don’t watch these type shows but I watched these and yes I sense a different aura around this new brain trust.

I’m looking forward to this season just to see this team and staff come together. I’m not expecting playoffs yet but am expecting some exciting football.

13. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I’m expecting to be at a home playoff game this year or next at the latest.

14. mrjet80

I hope you’re right but it takes time to implement a new system and for new players to gel. In reality even if this was a home run draft the Jets would still need another stellar offseason to put themselves into that type conversation. As for 2021 I think coming off a 2-14 record that 8 or 9 wins would be a very satisfying result.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. mrjet80

I’ll add that I sense the Johnsons seem to be happy letting JD run the show. Chris has the same line on the phone for each pick - Are you ready to be a Jet - or something along those lines. I believe they really want to win and perhaps maybe they have finally realized to simply stay out of the way?

We can only hope ....

BudJet, Noam and KingRoach like this.
  16. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I see things a little differently. Both the offensive and defensive systems are said to be “simple” and play into the players’ strengths.

The OL is the position group that takes the most time to “gel” and 4 of our 5 starters are returning. MCGovern is from a wide zone scheme.

Every Jets team pre Gase JD a winning record and I’d have to assume most new coaches implemented new schemes so I’m not convinced that’s as big of a factor as some think.

Re our 2-14 record: a better coach has that same team with 4 or 5 wins. We now have a much much better team adding both proven players and unproven players with potential.

Even if I’m wrong and we end up sub .500, I’ll still be expecting home playoff seats in 2022.

17. mrjet80

I can agree about 2022 provided everything goes smoothly.

Noam likes this.
  18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Only the ones that play GM on Madden.

Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Watched the first two and they were very interesting, a lot to get excited about if you're an excitable character, they must really piss off the doom-mongers amongst us.

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I thought this was well-produced fluff, but it wasn't quite up to the standards of One Jets Drive, mainly due to Covid. Replacing a lot of in person situations with recorded Zoom sessions really doesn't translate for me.

If the team does actually get their shit together and contends, I think whatever documentary effort they will offer up in 2022 and later will be amazing.

patleahy likes this.