Fitzpatrick traded to JETS

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Mar 11, 2015.

1. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

That's not even debatable. Maybe Geno has more upside cause he isn't a finished product but Fitz has proven he's an NFL QB. Geno hasn't yet.

2. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

is he better then geno? yes. will he beat him out? unless something odd happens, yes....

but he is still kind of a garbage QB. i look at it like this. if the phins or bills or whoever had him, what would my reaction be? and my reaction would be that those just became very winnable games against those teams and they have a shitty QB.

im not syaing he wasnt worth signing, i think he is cause there isnt anything out there and we need a veteran, especialy if we draft a QB. but i dont see him being any better then average.

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Lol you are right

4. jerseyjay14

people keep mentioning he worked with chan gailye before. few people are mentioning how bad that went

roger likes this.
  5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Bad? It ended bad. He threw 71 TDs in that stretch

6. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

Whenever someone uses words like "true fan" or "real fan", that is a signal that they are not capable of making an intelligent argument (same can be said about the terms 'race', 'class', or '<insert politically affiliation here>'

All that said, he is right, Geno is not the answer.

7. jerseyjay14

He also threw 55 picks, averaged jsut 6.7 ypa, and had just an decent completion %. overall, he was pretty poor.

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Fitzpatrick threw for 10,232 yards, 71 TDs and 54 INTs completing 60% of his passes under Chain Gailey in Buffalo. Thats an average of around 3400 yards per year, 24 TDs per year and 18 picks per year.

That's far from "bad" and it's exactly what you'd expect from a stopgap veteran who was traded for a conditional 2016 7th round pick.

9. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

And who was exactly on offense for that team?

Don't get your hopes up...Geno Smith's tenure with the Jets is coming quickly to an end.

Pocket Jet likes this.
  10. irishwhip03

Well I'll say that he's much better than Matt Cassell.

He's along the lines of Hoyer but a tick better IMO.

He was more than solid in 2011 with Buffalo and yeah that is 3 years ago but he already knows Gailey's system.

It was a smart move to me.

11. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Alot of folks here think Geno can improve and build upon last year. That would be good. But everyone is discounting whether Fitz can improve on his performance last year, which in my mind has a better chance of happening than Geno improving.

Pocket Jet likes this.
  12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I think he means if you've been following the Jets the last two years and are routing for them as a fan, it is incongruent to be a Smith Fan. That doesn't have to mean that it is a certainty that Smith cannot play. It's just that the evidence to date is such that it is more than merelyl unlikely that Smith will succeed. It borders on the implausible.

13. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Nah that would be Brady.

*ba dum tiss*

#253 Kris 15, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Mentioning Hoyer made me ponder why Houston would go with him instead of Fitz, and I would think hte likely answer is probably simply that Fitz is older, and probably does not have the same upside potential. But for the Jets Fitz's age is not a factor. The Jets need a hold the fort guy, so Fitz is a better match for the Jets than Houston.

15. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Just got the official word pop up via the App.

16. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I suspect it goes along the lines of "The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side" :)

17. irishwhip03

Agreed. I was actually worried Hoyer was gonna come here. Don't think he'd be much of a good fit.

Hoyer does offer more upside though since he really only has 1 season as a startrr under his belt. In that division where defenses aren't very good outside of the Texans I think he could put up some decent numbers if he wins the starting job.

18. roger

roger Active Member

If the plan is to go ith
    LOL...it's funny...just to really see what we have in Fitzy, I went back and looked at all his numbers while under Chan, and all the team numbers for the Bills that year, offensively and defensively.

I was hoping to build a case that, with a great defense, and just the Ryan Fitzpatrick that we saw under Chan Gailey back in 2011, that we could make a serious run.

Once I started digging into the numbers, I had a hard time making a case. The Bills passed the ball nearly 60% that year (578 passes, 391 rushes). Their running game was middle of the pack in overall yards, but surprisingly, 5th in yards per carry. To me, that says Chan threw the ball too much, for the players he had on the squad at the time. He had Spiller and Fred Jackson, which was a productive tandem. Overall, their offense was remarkably unremarkable. They were literally between 15th and 17th in every offensive category.

Their defense was decent. 7th in total yards, 5th against the run, 14th against the pass.

So, we would have to have a much better defense than Buffalo had, or a much better running game than Buffalo had, or that we just catch lightning in a bottle and have Fitzy have a Vinny-like year. Vinny was a turnover machine his whole career, then had that one big year in 1998, what was he 29TDs, 6INTs, something like that?

We'd need that, or a 2000 Raven-type defense to compete with Fitzy at the helm.

That said, I'm happy to have him as a stop gap while we continue to look for our QB...wherever he is.

19. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Yuck...Fitz... Hope we draft Mariota. Rather have him or Geno than fitz.

20. JetScream

JetScream New Member

The only guy that thought Geno Smith could play quarterback in the NFL was Geno Smith and the guy that drafted him
    Everybody else knew he was a joke and when he walked out of the draft and pouted because he wasn't the number 1 pick and fired his agent
    that should have been a HUGE red flag but my Jets took him anyway.
    Geno had a QBR of 35.4 and just for comparison....Ryan Lindley had a QBR of 37.8 and he was released
    Fitzpatrick comes in with a QBR of 55.3

Good Move to get Fitz