Fitzpatrick, a Bills fan's perspective

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mynmisoli, Aug 22, 2015.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Petty of course has more physical talent than Fitzpatrick. Clearly, you see progression in Petty's game more-so mentally, but this is the preseason. Vanilla defenses, with little amounts of blitzing.

he's not the better option now, but he might be next season. Even so, that shouldn't stop the Jets from drafting a QB in next year's draft if things don't work out with Geno Smith, which looks to be the situation.

Petty to me, seems much farther ahead in terms of the fundamentals compared to Geno Smith. I think I will need to look at the differences in the Spread offense between Baylor and WVU.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I was actually pretty shocked at how comfortable Petty looked taking snaps from under center on Friday night, it made me forget he was a spread QB at Baylor. His footwork was pretty good.

That's something Geno wasn't able to do for two entire seasons.

Cman68, Big Cat and Footballgod214 like this.
  3. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Rex said that all 3 quarterbacks will get a turn with the 1s in their 3rd preseason game. Same old song and dance.

abyzmul likes this.
  4. mynmisoli

mynmisoli Member

Thank You. I try.

5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

So you are saying Fitzpatrick is a bad QB, right?

You DO know that [bad QB] is a massive improvement over [god-fucking-awful QB], right? Jets are used to God-fucking-AWFUL QB, a. k. a. Geno Smith. Don't just take my words for it. Jets have scored less than 20 pts a game in the past 3 years, 2 with Geno. 20 pts a game is a substantial improvement.

greaser likes this.
  6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

When it comes to the Jets Qb play, its always compared to God-Fckn-Awful !

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

61% of all snaps in the NFL were taken in the shotgun last year, hell the NFL has been running the spread offense for a couple of years now and hardly anybody has caught on.

8. abyzmul

You think you're telling me anything new? One of the main differences between the elite QBs and the shitbags is that the elite ones are able to go between shotgun and under center snaps without missing a beat.

Here's another fun stat: The top 10 QBs in the league account for 49% of passing attempts out of the top 40 QBs. Stats are fun, but can be deceiving.

9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Seriously, I'm not impressed with Fitz at all after watching these first few preseason games. If the Jets wanted a cardboard cutout of a Qb, then apparently they signed the right guy. I'm not a Geno guy at all, but I'd rather see a Qb with a pulse playing the position rather than a guy playing it safe and trying not to get hurt. Fitz didn't impress me when he played against us and he sure as hell doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies playing with us.

Pick our poison at Qb and hope Geno comes back sooner than later. This is shaping up to be another long assed year especially with our defense not being able to stop the big play.

2015.. Just another year in JetNation.

10. abyzmul

I think our defense will be fine once Cro loses his starting job.

Footballgod214, NOVAJET and JetLifeLo like this.
  11. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

How would you feel about having Cro at FS? Gilchrist isn't all that good at all... If Cro is getting burned at CB he can at least use his athleticism in the middle of the field. Plus i'm sure they'd hate to pay Cro all that money to have him be a dime CB

12. abyzmul

Cro will have a 10 cent head no matter what position he plays, plus he likes to cheap shot players that aren't looking when he's in zone coverage so I'm sure he'd have no problem transferring all of his cornerback PI penalty yards into Defenseless Receiver yards.

JetLifeLo likes this.
  13. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

"The fact we still don't know who our starting QB is at this point, that's on me. We gotta find out who wants to play like a Bill, no question about it..."
    -RR

Cman68 and Big Cat like this.
  14. Innocenti

Innocenti Active Member

I wasn't hating on the guy...I wasn't even disagreeing with him. I simply posted that the stats seem to be in contradiction to what he claims.

But in defense of those who are hating on him. It's a pretty common occurrence for a poster who's a fan of a rival team to tell you how badly you're screwed over when you have a certain player and so people get defensive.

The troll said that Fitzpatrick shouldn't be in the NFL. Effectively he said that the Jets have a qb who shouldn't be in the NFL, a journeyman backup, a project, and a practice squad guy. AND HE CREATED AN ACCOUNT TO TELL US ONLY THAT.

Fitzpatrick had a 95 rating last season. I wish Mark Sanchez had done that every season with the team even if it were padded while the team was trailing. And BTW, most qbs pad their stats.

NYJETS4life24 likes this.
  15. abyzmul

Hahaha he actually said that? Not the QB part, the "pay like a Bill" part, can't he even come up with something new?

16. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

The competition there having at QB has been really close....Its either gonna be Cassel or Tyrod Taylor.Why name a starter in Week 3 of the preseason ,out of the three involved no one has run away with the job but they have all looked decent at times

17. One eye

One eye Member

Bottom Line:

We signed Fitz to mentor, make any emergency appearances, and hold a clip board. He's not supposed to start.

Fitz CAN be a better QB then he was in BUF because here he has a legit running game. When you have a weak arm, you need the threat of a running game to open things up.

Petty is the best QB on the roster. I DON'T believe he is years away. That's media horse shit. The guy already looks more comfortable and has made more progress then any rookie QB the Jets have had including Sanchez and Geno.

That being said, I think its in Petty's best interest, and ours, to wait it out for at least half the year.

I expect Geno to come back and look like a much better QB this year. However, I still expect him to become a shell when he hits adversity. Because of this, he won't be here next year, unless its as a back up.

18. abyzmul

You name a starter by week 3 of the pre season because that is when every team in the league is playing their starting personnel the longest, so you give your starter a bunch of minutes to play against 1's in preparation for the season.

If you don't name a starter until the 4th game, they won't see nearly as much time against 1's (if any) until week 1.

Big Cat likes this.
  19. Innocenti

Innocenti Active Member

I hope their whole team plays like the Bills.

abyzmul likes this.
  20. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

we know he is bad.

but bad is an enormous upgrade from geno smith and mark sanchez