Fitzpatrick, a Bills fan's perspective

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mynmisoli, Aug 22, 2015.

1. mynmisoli

mynmisoli Member

The rules do not say that you HAVE to be a Jets fan. I'm only giving you my insight for a QB I had to live with for 4 years. Don't be angry at me, be angry at your team for signing a perennial losing QB.

2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

How do those guys do running the hurry up offense trying to get the tying score with no timeouts?

3. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Fitzpatrick can actually throw the deep ball proficiently. No quarterback would be in the NFL if they couldn't throw a football 30-40 yards accurately. The deep ball is more about timing and anticipation than it is arm strength, and I saw him do it well pretty often last season. I think PFF rated him as the 5th best quarterback in the 30-40 yard range.

The area where his arm strength becomes a concern is outside the numbers. I don't think he has the arm to throw the deep outs, comebacks or corner routes. Those balls need to be driven to the outside or defenders can easily jump them. There were several throws from the preseason that I thought showed his inability to effectively throw these routes. He could especially struggle in November/December, where the wind at MetLife will pick up and you really have to rip the ball to complete passes outside the numbers.

Another area that concerns me is tipped passes. I saw 2-3 deflected interceptions he had with Houston last year, and there were 2 more batted passes on Friday. He's short (6' 1" I think) but more importantly he has a bit of a long release, dropping the ball before bringing it back up. He needs to wind up like this to compensate for his lack of natural arm strength. However, the elongated release gives defensive linemen a head start on getting up to deflect the pass, which is scary when paired with the fact that he's short. Gailey's offense is predicated on a lot of short, quick passes over the middle of the field so it would really throw a wrench in the offense if his passes are consistently batted down.

rohirrim665 likes this.
  4. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

This topic will be dead in a few weeks. Geno will start once he's healthy. He's the best QB we have right now. Bryce Petty isn't ready and we would be foolish to start him now and ruin him. He needs to sit and learn. Fitzpatrick is done. His arm is shot. Geno gives us the better chance to win at this point.

elgoman likes this.
  5. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

He threw over 70 touchdown passes in 3 years for your pathetic team. You're not gonna win anything with a defense that allows 35-40 points each week, sometimes even over 50. Get a clue.

6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes.

Plz go away , not interested in negative prognosis.

Anyway we have Petty you have 3 loser QBs and aCoach who will put his and his wife's foot in his mouth after what ever BS he has to offer your dismal fans

7. mynmisoli

mynmisoli Member

Haha OK i guess you didn't read my post about "Fitz Time".

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Enjoy never having timeouts in the 4th quarter, you fucking toolbag.

Cman68, Big Cat, rohirrim665 and 2 others like this.
  9. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

I didn't. Not that it changes anything. Dilfer by the way had 11 touchdowns that year with the Ravens. You're gonna complain about a guy that gives you 20-25 passing touchdowns per year with around 15 picks. You're nuts. If you had that guy right now you'd be a lock for the playoffs and a legit shot at the SB. You should pray to God Tyrod Taylor scores more than 10 touchdowns and doesn't turn the ball over more than 15 times.

10. mynmisoli

mynmisoli Member

All
    All of this animosity isn't good for everyone. I guess you will just have to experience Fitzmagic before you can understand my pain. Enjoy. I hope Fitz starts for you guys the whole year.

11. elgoman

elgoman Active Member

I understand and agree with the thrust of your overall points. NFL teams also agree with your points, which is why Fitz is constantly being traded and released in spite of how wonderful he apparently is. Fitz will likely meet the same fate here for the same reasons, nevermind the fans here who think otherwise. Many fans just hate Geno Smith more than anything and so would be happier with a jugs machine playing QB. The bias against giving him his final chance is palpable.

12. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

It's upsetting that you call him short at 6'1" lmao. I'm about 5'9" and thought I was average height.

13. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Haha, I'm 5' 9" too, I just meant short for an NFL QB. The prototype is 6' 3" or 6' 4".

14. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Watching the Titans and it looks like Mettenburger and Mariota both could start for us. It makes me want to puke.

15. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Fitzpatrick started to get into a rythme granted it was against the second string but he started moving the ball.What makes me nervous is Fitzpatrick against top defenses

16. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

They're both very good qb prospects. The Titans have one of the best forward looking qb situations in the NFL.

Mettenberger looks real good in this game by the way. The guys got a great arm.

If we had mettenberger id be getting real excited for this year beyond my current level of excitement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

This is good level-headed and informative analysis.

18. mynmisoli

mynmisoli Member

Its basically a carbon copy of what I said.

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Mettenberger was 'thrown to the wolves' and is therefore destroyed as a QB. See the Petty threads.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

What did the Titans do immediately after watching Mettenberger's rookie season?

Answer: the same thing the Jets are likely to do next year if they wind up watching Petty play QB.

74 likes this.