First Leo Williams then Jamal. Joe Douglas is killing it

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jul 26, 2020.

1. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Darnold & Allen came out the same year Buffalo is light years ahead of the Jets after the Adams trade.

Cleveland doesn't have the Ws to show for it but they're one of the most talented teams in the league and just re-signed their superstud edge rusher coming off a suspension.

The Jets are going backwards. Rebuilding yet again.

This guy Douglas may have a plan I hope he does but I can't get excited about another rebuild. I remember all the joy I felt when Darnold fell to them this stuff was supposed to be a thing of the past yet here we are again two years later.

2. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i view this as a good trade for both sides. the jets have many many holes and those draft picks have the POTENTIAL to fill a few of them.

seattle is getting one of the better players in the league.

it will be interesting to see how much of an effect this has on our defense ability to be doing so many crazy things. its not just scheme its having guys that can carry out a scheme and jamal adams was great in that defense last year. short term great move for the seahawks, short term it leaves a big hole to fill for the jets while long term if the jets can hit on those draft picks, which sadly will probably be lower in the rounds it will be a great trade for the jets.

will revisit in 4 years.

3. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

What's done is done.

Ultimately Douglas will be judged on Ws-Ls.

If the team wins/wins enough he'll get to stick around, if not he'll be gone just like all the other Jets GMs that were here before.

4. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

He could end up being, sure. But Brick and Mangold were almost certainly more valuable to their Jets team than Adams would likely be to this one, purely because of positional value.

themorey and Brook! like this.
  5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Do you really think this was about the Jets and not Adams?

Also, if it takes another 20 years then JD and the next 3 seasons are going to be an abject failure, that's the spirit, think positively.

6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Before we hired him, it was said that Joe Douglas was the hands down best pick for a GM. It was said his knowledge of the game and how winning teams are built was second to none. So far, all the reports on Douglas have been proven to be true. His rebuild of the roster really doesn't feel like a rebuild without end which frankly, was what we've been conditioned to expect. Yes, we finally have a GM that apparently knows how to read a situation and handle it correctly. Now if that starts to translate into wins in the near term, great. If not, I think the fanbase is far more willing to give JD time than they were with Macc or Idzik. JD's moves have so far panned out so he's gaining the trust of the fanbase.

7. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

I mean there's no way in hades Russel Wilson gets traded NOW after they went all-in on the Jamal deal. Aaron Rodgers would be a more likely 'win-now' target and complete the cycle of ex-Packer legend imports.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He's building the team in the mold of Idzik's vision. Only issue is that Idzik bricked both his drafts and got railroaded by Revis and his demands and feud with ownership. He also panic-traded for Percy Harvin because of the backlash he faced from fans for not fixing receiver in that 2014 draft.

He did have the right idea as far as a vision is concerned. High character draft picks (team captains and such), no big time free agency contracts which will accumulate compensation picks.

He just had zero eye for talent and didn't work with a head coach that had an eye for young talent.

Let's hope Douglas's draft picks work out. Because the vision and strategy is correct.

themorey, Brook!, JetBlue and 5 others like this.
  9. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more... My feeling is he is watching the HC and QB to see how they perform and if either falters because they are not the solution, I have no doubt he will be in CJ ear saying time to move on. I finally have faith in the FO after years of waste and dysfunction. Now lets see if this HC has what it takes - I am not a fan but willing to give his a shot after last year ... if the team - his 1/2 plays poorly, he remains the stubborn fool PC he was last year and the team is a bottom feeder relative to the rest of the league... then he needs to go. Same for Sam, time start playing MORE consistently, stop the back foot throws and get a better TB/int %.

Brook!, Cman68 and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Good post. It's a critical year for Sam. With all of this draft capital, we now have a lot of ammo to navigate the draft if we want to get another QB. Whoever gets the top pick is taking Trevor Lawrence but Justin Fields will likely come out as well. Brock Purdy is a guy to watch in the mid rounds as well although I don't think he has a big enough arm for the NFL.

I don't really think we'll be looking next year but who knows. I think Joe will have a good feel for what Darnold is as we enter the 2022 draft.

Brook! likes this.
  11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

This will be an extremely difficult draft class to grade out as there is the distinct possibility that there will be no NCAA FB this year due to the virus. How teams evaluate players solely on year old film and the combine will be critical to success or failure. We have a ton of picks, but we damn well better spend them wisely. I have faith in JD, but time will tell. One thing is certain, it can't be another Idzik level fck up. We better do our homework and research to the nth degree if we're gonna make good on the trade.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Absolutely.

Interview process and private workouts will be crucial. It's so hard to simulate game situations in shorts though. It's the only issue that weakens the trade haul a little bit.

RochesterJet, alleycat9 and Cman68 like this.
  13. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i have been happy with the work of the gm since he has gotten here. granted we havent seen any of it really play but the thought process seems correct. as usual its all about finding that qb thats willing to not get a max deal so other things can continue to get fixed. and that will be an interesting situation over the next year as i would assume if they want to lock him up long term it will be before next season.

Cman68 likes this.
  14. twown

twown Well-Known Member

It doesn't weaken the trade haul, it just increases variance. All GM's are in the same boat. All GM's will have the same degree of uncertainty relative to past drafts.

If you had an item worth $100, would you rather trade it for
    a) $100
    b) 80% chance to win $125
    3) 50% to win $200

The value of these options is exactly the same. That's the spot NFL GM's find themselves in now. All GM's. Not just JD.

When it's time for JD to pick, he will be more ignorant about his options than he would have been in years past. But all the GM's who picked before him will have made more mistakes than in years past for exactly the same reason. It all comes out even.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

The uncertainty probability goes up slightly with less game film for the prospects and the players jumping from maybe a 6-7 game schedule to a 16 game schedule + hopefully players in a perfect world.

The prospects will be slightly weaker because of it. You forgot another option for let's say 50% chance of only getting $75 because the market value decreased as you held onto it for longer. Value can change when variables are factored in. There are more variables with prospects coming out this year than normal.

16. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Yes, uncertainty increases. Of course. It increases for all GM's. That's my point.

You also make a good point. It IS possible that the aggregate value of incoming players is slightly weaker than in years past if they miss time. But overall, I think this will be negligible.

50% to win $75 is putting it way too strongly when you're talking about the average athlete. 50% to win $199 (as opposed to $200) is indeed a possibility if the college season is cut short. But even then, I think the incoming rookies would regain this lost value in time.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Are you drunk or related to Idzik? LOL Idzik isn't even a second thought here. Do you seriously think that Douglas is following Idzik's plan? That's one of the funniest and strangest things I think I've ever seen posted. You give Idzik waaaaaaaaaay too much credit. He was not qualified to be a GM and should have never been hired.

This is definitely not up to your normal standard.

18. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I understood his completely valid point. Idzik wanted to control the cap and build through the draft. He was just absolutely terrible in evaluating talent/drafting.

There's a difference between comparing each GM's same vision and there execution of it.

themorey, FJF, Cman68 and 2 others like this.
  19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

If he get mono again or has a crappy season I would dump him.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, but he shouldn't call it Idzik's plan. It's just the plan of any GM who remotely has a clue how to do his job. Idzik was an incompetent boob. Knowing which plan to follow doesn't do much good, if you're too hesitant to make moves, and can't judge talent for spit.

#40 NCJetsfan, Jul 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2020