#FireBowles

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

A rookie QB isn't going to buy him years. Bowles would probably keep the rookie on the bench anyway but he's got to make the playoffs. This is professional football. if you go 4 years to open your coaching career without a playoff appearance, you get fired

2. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I agree. I think there's a fine line between rebuilding/competitively adding talent while rebuilding.

Macc is going to have to have a great offseason because if he has a free agency/draft like he did his first season, he'll be without a job next offseason.

Pay players who are up and coming and can produce, not older players that are looking for their last pay day.

He also needs to draft smart and hopefully align the best player available approach with need positions like O-line, edge, QB, CB.

KurtTheJetsFan and CotcheryFan like this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

So you think it’s win or bust for them despite having 3 years left on their contracts?

4. grkmanga31

years on coaching contracts are just fluff. NFL owners are notorious for giving coaches more years but firing them way ahead of the contract expiration date.

Giants just fired McAdoo meanwhile I believe he has a few more years left on his deal.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. How bout a team that passes the eye ball test for once & can assert their will onto an opponent. I'm tired of slow starting teams that have to grit out wins behind conservative head coaches. It starts w. a deep cohesive roser.

6. FJF

I understand that. But if they planned on moving on after the next season they would have gave them both 1 year extensions. The fact that it was 2 days they have a longer leash than most here want to acknowledge

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  7. You maybe right.But couldn't they just have been trying to avoid the "Lameduck" label all together when in reality the length of the contract is meaningless?

grkmanga31 likes this.
  8. grkmanga31

Perhaps, but I don't look at contract extensions as signifying anything. If we have another 5-11 year, it's hard to imagine the Jets retaining Macc and Bowles. I know CJ has said there's no mandate to win and all that, but that's all fluff to me.

The NFL is a results business. How many seasons are the Johnsons going to be ok with ticket sales being shit, the stadium being taken over by opposing fans, concessions down, etc. After all, the NFL is a business and owners want to make money.

The Jets are approaching 10 years with no playoffs. That has a toll on fan interest.

I think the situation is fluid at this point. Also, lame duck labels aren't good for HC/GM so it can all be in interest of allowing Bowles and Macc to do their jobs without worrying about their job status.

9. BrowningNagle

It should be and it will be. That's why the extension was dumb for the Johnson's. All it does it cost them money to buy out Bowles. If they sign Cousins and get some lucky breaks in terms of scheduling they might be able to sneak into the wildcard but I think most likely that won't happen and then its a firing. Next year will just be another year wasting time. That's why you don't offer an extension to a guy with back to back 5-11 seasons, its bad business

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Sure helps to have talent that allows you assert your will. Can you do that with McCown and Bilal Powell? Probably not. Sure helps to have a QB you can completely trust. Bowles hasn't had that at all.

11. FJF

A 1 year extension would have taken the lame duck status out of the equation. If they would have done that I would agree that Bowles and Mac are on the hot seat. 2 year extension gives them 3 years left though. Big difference

12. BrowningNagle

not true- Bowles completely trusted Ryan Fitzpatrick. That's why Fitz was brought back for $12 million, the staff requested it, instead of doing what they should've done and trusted talent evaluators who knew that was an awful idea.

we're gonna give him a mulligan for that awful mistake AND a mulligan for not developing any of the young quarterbacks on the roster AND a mulligan for losing the team in '16. that's a lot, almost more than he deserves right?

13. This is where I disagree.Media & fans see through the 1 year extension chirade b.c coaches have been fired after receiving one so many times. I'm just not sure how 2 years is really any different. Bowles can still be fired at any time. Why the second year? To avoid the lameduck perception.

Maybe I'm wrong but just my hunch about things

14. FJF

It was only dumb if they are even entertaining a quick hook. I don’t think they are . I think cj is done listening to the fans

15. 101GangGreen101

I think Gailey trusted Fitzpatrick ... he trusted Gailey to run that offense, while Bowles adapted to being a HC. Bowles was not fully involved with the offense until yr 3. Mac absolutely caved during the Fitzpatrick negotiations, he didn't have to pony up more cash. Regardless, Mac is in charge of the roster. If Mac can't tell Bowles that we aren't resigning Fitz because he wants too much money, perhaps Mac should hang up the GM title. To me that would've been the easiest convo that summer.

FJF likes this.
  16. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

You're naivety if you think those 2 year extensions are fire proof.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. FJF

Like I said, a 1 year extension would have spoke volumes as to how hot the seat was

18. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Whoever the hot DC that has no idea about coaching offense will be the next Jets HC.

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Are you saying that Bowles has had no input on the players that were drafted and signed? If he didn't it sure looks like someone like Tom Cruise using Mission Impossible technology stole his fingerprints and plastered them all over the roster.

20. 101GangGreen101

Mac = control over 53 man roster
    Bowles = control over who plays

At the end of the day that is all that matters. If Mac doesn't want a specific player resigned due to $$$ / future production, then his say goes. Input is input and should be considered, but Mac is the ultimate decision maker outside of the Owner.

legler82 and FJF like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.