#FireBowles

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I think it will be Jack Del Rio. That seems like a Woody type hire. Awful hc. The Giants d will improve under him. Then the Jets will continue the run on drafting defense. That's what the Jets do. Defense wins championships. We'll continue to sign over the hill qbs who have career years and never get a qb or draft offense. The 2019 Jets ladies and gentlemen.

2. If the team were to continue on this current path you'd be right on.

I do think however that the next HC hire will bring alot of pressure on Woody to bring in an offensive guy. Woody always gives in to public sentiment so I don't think a Defensive guy will be in the cards.

Doesn't mean Woody will hire the right offensive guy though..not by any stretch

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

10 years later:

@JethroTull makes a thread about firing Bowles ...

lmao you guys are going to make a topic every year until he gets fired (if he ever does)

westiedog1, joe, Brook! and 1 other person like this.
  4. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Ain't no way the Johnsons are keeping him after he goes 0-4 reaching the playoffs. Bowles has to reach the playoffs or he's toast.

playtowinthegame and Jets_Grinch like this.
  5. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I have a hard time seeing Bowles surviving if he don't make the playoffs. But if we go 9-7 and miss out on the playoffs, ownership may say that the arrow is trending up and we should keep him so as to maintain momentum and continuity. If we go 5-11 again, both Macc and Bowles will be shown the door.

Also, if the QB question isn't legitimately addressed, paired with a losing record = both being gone.

6. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

I'm most curious about what happens if we fall between these two marks but the arrow is pointing up. Does it buy Bowles and Macc another year year? Does it buy Macc a year but a New HC to "get the team over the hump?" Say we get a rookie Qb and he shows promise but we are 7-9, do we reward Macc for the QB find but bring an offensive minded HC to continue the development? I suspect the most likely scenario for this team is young guys continue to develop and they go 6-10 or 7-9 so what happens in 2019?

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If they have a losing record with a rookie qb looking like he is the future the entire staff will stay intact. Why would you change anything if it looks like it may work?
    Only way we see a coaching change for 2019 is
    A- cousins is signed and the jets have a losing record
    B- a 3-13 ish season with no hope at qb.
    Other than that I don’t see it. CJ is taking the long view. Something his brother never did

westiedog1 likes this.
  8. grkmanga31

Idk because that seems like a very tight situation where realistically it could go either way. Could ownership make the case that we won more games and thus we are still developing? or will ownership say the wins don't match the talent on the team.

I just cannot fathom keeping a HC/GM who haven't made the playoffs in four seasons and try passing that off as building for success. Success would mean a noticeable improvement and ultimately the W/L record is the ultimate indicator of that.

NYJetsO12 and Jets_Grinch like this.
  9. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

Exactly. i would love to see improvement which at this stage of the rebuild is all that matters but 4 years no playoffs? Plus it's the Johnson's so who the hell knows what they are actually thinking/ going to do.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  10. grkmanga31

I also think it has to do with who's playing QB. If we draft Cousins the expectations and dynamic change from slowly rebuilding to a team that could instantly compete. Sign Cousins and others, and fill holes through the draft. Expectations would be that the Jets could make the leap from 5-11 to 10-6 or 11-5.

If we draft a QB, say Baker Mayfield drops to 6 and we take him, it may buy Macc and Bowles some time as ownership may think that a rookie QB will need 2 or so years to develop and show something.

11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Drafting Mayfield would be great and the smart move long term no matter who remains on the CS..hoping for that

Because the dynamic duo of B and M want to save their neck they will push all out for Cousins ..who ultimately sh*t the bed and we lose out on another mint QB class

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  12. grkmanga31

I don't really agree with that because I think Cousins is a very legitimate option, but again just I had echoed in the Cousins thread, I see why people are hesitant. I also understand why people would be worried to draft a QB at 6.

13. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

We will have become like the Bengals if that were true.

Brook! likes this.
  14. Passepartout

Passepartout Active Member

Yeah as if Baker Mayfield can just overcome his troubles like Jameis Winston then he could be elite. Todd Bowles will have one year to prove himself.

15. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

You are god damn right.

16. It’s quite the predicament.In my opinion unless they take shortcuts to save their jobs(always possible) or young players begin really stepping up,playoffs next season are unrealistic.

You can’t rebuild an entire offensive unit for the long term in one offseason & immediately see dividends.

Still ownership isn’t & shouldn’t ignore 0 playoffs in 4 years.So we’re left w 2 possibilities:Bowles/Mac are a bridge regime or they are about to screw up our rebuild by overpaying vets for “win now”. Hoping for option A

17. grkmanga31

There can be a mix of both. We have seen teams turn things around very quickly and it all has to do with the the vision of the team, and what players are selected to make that team a reality. With 100 mil in cap space, and 3 picks within the top 50, its entirely possible the jets could add 4-5 starters and instantly boost their win count by 5. The NFL is full of parity and teams one season look completely different the next. I'm hoping that the Jets do a mix of both supplementing the roster with free agents in their prime, and draft picks that can step in and start right away. It's entirely reasonable to believe that we can mix both approaches and expect winning results for next season.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  18. Easiest plan to execute w. the ammo we have is prioritizing these positions w. healthy consideration given to prototype/fit over name recognition.

Edge/LT/CB/QB/offensive playmaker. If they can get 4/5 locked down...anything is possible record wise in 18. That said...I still think playoffs are a stretch. Even an optimal 2018 offseason still leaves us w. some unfilled holes or spotty depth.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  19. grkmanga31

We need to focus on premium positions and the ones you mentioned are exactly that. Regardless of whether or not we draft or sign a QB, the o-line has to be a huge priority this offseason or we will continue to lose. EDGE rusher has been a need since Abraham left and this defense sorely needs some passrushers. CB also another need but I think that one of Skrine/Claiborne will be let go, and will be replaced through free agency.

Trumaine Johnson would be very expensive but he's in his prime and he's damn good.

Left tackle, Nate Solder or 1st round pick can address this.

We have to be aggressive in filling the most important holes on this team. We are approaching nearly 10 years on non-playoff football

20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

At the same time, I wouldn't want the FO to push the panic button and try to win now at the expense of future years. I want sustained contention like the Packers, Pats, Steelers, and Seahawks have achieved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.