Fire Saleh

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by REVISion, Oct 24, 2021.

1. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

In some thread on here there was an interesting exchange between a few people who thought the Jets staff must inevitably be better than anyone on this board, and a few (myself included) who seriously doubted that.

In fact, I went further and said I had no doubt there were people on this board who could do a better job as a coach or GM IF they had dedicated their entire lives to football. These guys have experience, but to assume they are smarter or just better at football than some of the people on this board is ridiculous.

There are many people on this board who would have had a solid veteran quarterback in place. There are many who would have let such a veteran start the first few games, to at least see what the rest of the offense looked like before putting a rookie out there.

There are many people of this board who would have looked at the Jets offensive line in practice, or preseason, or the first few drives of the actual season and gone 'Woah! We can't leave our prized rookie out there behind this rickety line!"

There are many people on this board who would have done more to shake up the offense during the bye week than change the scheduling of a specific and very short spell in practice by 15 minutes.

There are many here who, as GM, would have brought in more offensive linemen in the offseason, who would have made the line stronger by completely rebuilding it, rather than putting together one of the worst fronts in the game.

There are many who, as offensive coordinator, would realise that some of our tight ends don't deserve to eat up a place on the active roster, let alone in the starting line-up, yet we routinely see two of them running around cluelessly on the field while promising and dangerous receivers sit on the bench.

There are people who, as a defensive coordinator, would have a clue how to stop third-and-long conversions, how to defend screens, how to account for the opponents' tight ends.

True, we don't have a lot of good players, but we have some. And the fact that we don't have a lot is another mark against Douglas, whose fingerprints are all over this ugly roster.

I'm not saying someone off this board would step in and do a better job after a career in sales or marketing or whatever we've spent our lives doing. I'm saying many, MANY people on this board saw this coming and the actual people running the team apparently did not. I've seen nothing so far to suggest any of them know what the hell they're doing. They look shocked by everything.

The Pats came out and punched us in the mouth with a few tricky plays. It looked like we never expected them to come out and try and punch us in the mouth. When it was our turn, we ran two plays up the gut and then got bamboozled by a never-seen-before nickel corner blitz.

The game was over then. And many, MANY people on this board knew that as well.

#101 ukjetsfan, Oct 25, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

There is no reason to wait until the season is over to remove LaFleur; there is almost nothing he has been successful at coordinating and it's beyond doubtful that he will. It's unfortunate that the bye week came so early because now any change must be done on the fly when the past two weeks is when it should have happened.

It is past time to shake up the building by shuffling some responsibilities around and if Saleh is not willing to do it on his own Douglas needs to make it happen. They can make it easy or they can make it tough but in doing so a very powerful message gets sent to everyone in the organization. Everyone needs to see that first step of recognition that change is needed now. There is no perfect solution but in midseason it must be an internal change to avoid a wholesale disturbance.

With nine years as an offensive coordinator under his belt and a 49% win percentage in that time and a ring or two, Matt Cavanagh becomes the obvious choice. As I said, there is no perfect solution but he'd be in the best position to not completely blow up the offense that has been in place since training camp but to adapt it to the players on hand that can help the Jets the most. Simplify where needed and play to the strengths that exist. LaFleur could even stay in some reduced capacity if it makes sense.

And, as long as I get to run this circus for ten minutes, I'm signing Cam Newton to a two year deal that can be dumped after one. Today!

REVISion likes this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The bottom line is Saleh is supposed to be a defensive guy and his defense just gave up 54 points to a rookie QB

--

They can't stop a screen pass. All year that has been an issue. A good coach would fix that at the very least. I dont care who he has for players

tomdeb, Acad23, REVISion and 5 others like this.
  4. BrowningNagle

LaFleur sucks but it doesnt make much sense to fire him after the defense gave up 54. Everyone on that staff sucks right now and if you just held LaFleur responsible it sends the wrong message in my opinion

cval likes this.
  5. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

This X 1000!!!

6. cval

cval Well-Known Member

How anyone can watch this game and blame the offense is beyond me. The defense got a pass last week after giving up17 points on Atlanta's first three drives there is no excuse this week.

Acad23 and stinkyB like this.
  7. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

In determining if Saleh will be a successful HC, one thing to watch is how he handles his buddy LaFleur, LaFleur is in way over his head. Will Saleh be ruthless enough to fire his pal? A successful HC has to be cut-throat. If a player or assistant coach doesn't perform, the HC has to cut the player or fire the assistant without a second thought, even if the guy is his best friend. Is Saleh ruthless enough to do it?

REVISion likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

he is not. Saleh is too much of a nice guy

how about during the broadcast: "Coach Saleh told us Michael Carter II is going to be something special in this league" "Saleh said he believes Brandon Echols is a special player..." over and over while they get gashed up for 54 points

REVISion and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  9. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I can deal with a bad season in the midst of a rebuilding year. But it needs to look WAY better than this. Yesterday was humiliating and they cannot have more games like that. They got annihilated by a mediocre team with a rookie QB who happens to be their rival. Inexcusable. I am shocked at how bad the defense was yesterday. If they continue looking like this it really might be one and done for this coaching staff but there's a lot of season left.

Also, one strength this team has is WR depth. Can we see more 4 and 5-WR sets rather than forcing Ryan Griffin out there? They have six quality receivers who aren't seeing the field enough. Let's see LaFleur adapt to the talent they have.

REVISion, legler82 and cval like this.
  10. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

The Jets coaches somehow fail the most on the side of the ball that they are supposed to be experts. Gase was supposed to be an offensive guru. The offense was the worst part of the team under him!

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

They also played the clip this morning on the radio of Brian Costello asking Saleh point blank if his team needs a kick in the ass and Saleh said no they're all grown men playing hard.

I feel like I remember hearing something similar this summer about how they don't believe in forcing players to run laps when they make mental mistakes or something of the like attributing things to being grown men as well.

Sounds like we have no organizational accountability whatsoever once again.

REVISion and BrowningNagle like this.
  12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That game felt like the team just got off a 2 week vacation.

13. Ralebird

No, you don't fire LaFleur because the defense gave up 54 this week, you demote LaFleur because in six games his offense has only put up 80 points - the worst in the league, and that is unacceptable. You change his job because no progress is taking place. You take play calling away from him because he has not been able to match his plays to the personnel he has to perform them; he hasn't been able to have a single point posted in six first quarters and nothing improved after the bye week when it was obvious change was overdue - his first two plays were, once again, ineffective runs into the line. You give him other duties so that everyone in the organization is put on notice that improvement is part of the job description. That's the message that needs to be sent. And maybe, just maybe, whoever takes over his duties will be able to put together a program that works for whoever is on the field for any given game.

And you do it now because waiting until the end of the season is a waste of eleven weeks.

REVISion likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

I'd be all for stripping playcalling from LaFleur but problem is that no one else on the roster can call the plays any better. The only guy with any real experience died in a bike crash

15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Embarrassing effort yesterday. And that was BEFORE Zach even got injured. Awful.

16. Ralebird

Cavanaugh called plays for ten years and won 49% of his games; he's not a long term solution, but the guy sitting there now has won 17%; how could it be worse? Cavanaugh has also played in 112 NFL games and been involved in the NFL for forty years - he might know enough to get this train on the tracks. And most important probably is that LaFleur has shown absolutely no ability to adapt to the reality that is the 2021 New York Jets. What could it hurt? The feeling of complacency I get from Florham Park?

17. BrowningNagle

I could be wrong but I think Cavanaugh is just a part time "adjunct" coach. Elevating him to OC would require he's there every day and working long hours. I dont believe that is his situation here

18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The defense was worse this game but the offense has been a hell of a lot worse than the defense overall this year.

19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Well I'm just glad we spent part of our practices playing basketball, because everyone knows you cant be a good football team with a solid jump shot.

AndyDrums likes this.
  20. Ralebird

I kind of remembered that from when he was brought on but looking things up overnight I didn't find anything to indicate he was a part-timer. Maybe we got the idea because he was first brought in for a one week trial but it looks like he's full time now.

BrowningNagle likes this.