Fire Saleh

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by REVISion, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think it’s relatively easy to figure out whether a coaching staff is going to be good or not early on in their tenure. That’s what’s so alarming about Saleh and friends trotting Greg Van Roten out there every week until now, benching Quincy Williams for three weeks for a shitty Jarred Davis, rotating the defensive line by entire units for entire series, LaFleur taking six weeks to figure out he needs to be sitting in the booth and calling these bizarre deep play action bombs the first couple weeks, etc.

The entire regime gets one more year by default unless some sort of amazing coach shakes free, but the second half of the year is incredibly important.

We just went another game without ever holding a lead.

IDFjet and Cman68 like this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

agreed. Duvernay-Tardiff played sunday though in place of Van Rotten. Was that just because of injury or do you think the good doctor took his job?

3. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Props to Saleh, I thought he coached well and made good in game adjustments to get Moore more involved

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

Dunno what game he watched from the sideline today, wasn't the shit-show I saw.

5. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

It’s ridiculous to say to fire Saleh in his rookie season and today proves he can continue to learn and not give up on the team. This guy you have to keep for at least 2 years to see where he takes this team. Let him be.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You've always been a great poster, but imo this season you have been the voice of reason and kept this place with some semblance of sanity. Thank you.

Borat, cval and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

I don’t think this game taught us much about Saleh one way or another. It was an easy game to coach in the sense that you could coach not to lose the entire time. He made some solid decisions on fourth down late in the game though.

REVISion and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Saleh already won more games this year so far than the team he inherited in the entire last year. I understand the bar was low and he has not been great in every game, but we have a team with most rookie snaps, we have a rookie HC, rookie OC, rookie DC, and this does constitute a step forward from the lows of last season.

9. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Van Rotten won’t see the field again this year unless there’s an injury….

10. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Saleh and LaFleur have done a good job this season and there shouldn't be any talk of them getting fired:

1. They have kept a consistent culture--not a lot of players speaking out and locker room appears stable
    2. They have handled the media well
    3. We have seen growth from the team overall and they have won games with an extreme amount of youth on the roster
    4. They have been able to coach through a high amount of injuries, including big ones to Becton and Lawson

IMO, even if Wilson doesn't work out, Douglas has done a good job

1. We are looking good with the cap and our roster has youth back
    2. The trades with Adams and Darnold were aboslute home runs and appear to be better and better every week
    3. The first draft was rough, but this last one looks much much better
    4. He has prioritized the right position groups on the team and they are at least trending in the right direction
    5. He has been a good negotiator in free agency and has avoided land mines like Golladay and has resigned the right guys from our own team

I think we have the right guys leading the way--they have to keep building those lines. Add some strategic pieces via free agency. Even if Wilson is a C level QB next year, we should really see a lot of progress.

Jets79 likes this.
  11. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I legit don't want to argue and I appreciate your optimism but you can't mention avoiding guys like Golladay in FA as a plus without mentioning guys he's brought here like Corey Davis or Van Roten not being great

12. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

I have to humbly disagree with folks saying Salah had been good. He had been below average at best! Team is not ready to play, bad penalties, blown coverages, blown timeouts, etc. the most egregious is mot ready to play. It’s fundamental. Salah is rookie, so will cut some slack. And have seen some one improvements. So trending on right direction. I liked bringing on Beck, sending lefleur to booth. I don’t like the continuous chatter, don’t need to change anything. Be t overall below average so far!!! Not good by any means. But there have been some positives.

13. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Exactly. Maybe he can be a good HC maybe not but you have to give him more than one year. Also if the Jets did fire him after the season ( I don't think they will) what kind of coach is going to want to come here. This job would be viewed as toxic. Every potential HC would think to themselves "the Jets are in a big rebuild but they will only give me one year to fix it". "Thanks but no thanks".

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

That game felt an awful lot like all of those games we won in 2019 with Gase down the stretch. Ugly football with few standouts and two teams participating who were dying to lose.

It wasn’t some sort of well coached game by the winner. The team just survived.

REVISion and Red Menace like this.
  15. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

It happens. Did you watch Browns and Ravens last night? Baker and Lamar were DREADFUL…sometimes defenses just have the one up and you have to play not to lose.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Half our wins in 2009 and 2010 felt this way. If this is how they come, I’ll take them.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Baker is all kinds of fucked up and there were 20+ mph winds.

Browns/Ravens was good defense, not the bad offense was saw in Jets/Texans.

18. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

sounds like excuses. It was bad QB play by both of them. Again it happens l…playing QB is hard. Lamar had some awful throws and reads that if Zach or any other QB made, they would get reamed for.

19. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Bound to happen soon. The Jets are winning too many games and losing high draft choices. A fan will post that.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Who cares? Baker sucks anyways and isn’t a FQB. Lamar Jackson has a MVP award and is a perennial MVP candidate who will probably take his team to the playoffs 80% of the time over the next decade if he’s healthy.

They both had poor offensive showings regardless of surrounding factors. But none of that has to do with the fact that the Jets and Texans offenses were absolutely anemic yesterday so I don’t really think you’re what about them scenario matters at all.

Both played not to lose don’t fuck this up defensive schemes that invited the underneath stuff and running game in hoping to outlast the other.