Fire Lafleur

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Sep 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

I was watching some film, and noticed on several occasions where all three routes were exactly the same, and Zach literally had nobody open. Why would that happen. The D literally, one DB could cover all 3 WRs. They were all running to the same spot. It was bizarre I did double take. And rewinded it several times. Also saw a lot of OL breakdowns where free rushers aren’t even touched, running unabated to the QB and OL personnel standing there blocking no one? That is bad! No matter how it looked at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

He's not getting fired this early obviously but he better start calling a better game. I'm all for him being shown the door after this season if the O doesn't show some incremental improvement.

SOJAZ, Cman68 and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. DaftGreen

DaftGreen Member

The lack of any sort of veteran coach (other than Matt Cavanaugh) on this staff has me worried all off season. Matt Cavanaugh should be eyed for a promotion if things stay south.

PJ4Ever, papapump and cval like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's not totally accurate. Here's a link to the Jets' CS and their experience or lack thereof.

https://www.newyorkjets.com/team/coaches-roster/

The problem is that we don't have experience at the most critical position on the CS, the OC position. He has coaching experience, but not as an OC or play caller.

Borat, JetsNation06 and Cman68 like this.
  5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

You ain't makin' me feel any better, Sackie! :mad:

Sack exchange likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The Rams used to run this play 5-6 times a game where they threw it to the flats for first downs and this motion on pretty much every play for Goff for like four straight years and moved the ball. Why can't we run it?

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Maybe we should replace LaFleur with this kid...

NYJetsO12 and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  9. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

I thought the presser yesterday from ML was interesting, will be very curious to see whether he backs it up on the field...where the actual games are played and where the actual results count. I even get Saleh backing him up...But at this point across all of the "great week of practices" and "great play calls, it's a show me business. We're hearing a ton about the labor but no baby yet. I like Saleh and I'm trying to give ML the benefit of the doubt here but neither has much longer with the explanations if they can't turn out any offensive production.

At this point I don't care if they run the Shanahan offense or the 1980 Oklahoma wishbone, the goal is to move the sticks and score points...The Shanahan offense is supposed to make both of those things easier...If the Jets can't do it w/out Kyle calling the plays or Rogers signing it, who in the hell cares. So, I'm a little frustrated and probably a little unfair going into game 4, but it's this current disaster coupled w/ the PTSD from the 2 year Gase regime that makes it feel like I've been watching the same much for 10 years

10. NCJetsfan

Great post!

I was one of the most optimistic posters here, but am rapidly becoming one of the biggest darksiders. My patience is gone for incompetence on the part of the CS and crappy play by the players. The Lions are playing better with a nut job as a HC. The Jaguars are playing better than the Jets. Granted Meyer has lots of successful HC experience, but everyone's talking about his mistakes, and how he won't be in the in NFL more than two years. Those other teams had more talent, perhaps better situations, not so many "rookies" in key positions, not so many young players starting and/or seeing significant minutes, and not as many injuries to key players as the Jets. In the end, however, as legitimate as they may be, they are still "excuses," and I'm fed up with excuses. I want results (competitive play, improvement, looking like an NFL team and not some rag-tag semi-pro team).

The CS staff needs to do their jobs better, or they need to resign. They need to do a better job with game planning, adjustments, decisions of who plays, of teaching/coaching, and working the players smarter in practice and developing discipline and conisistent execution. They need to scale back the offense, make it simpler, and adapted to the talent they have on hand, not some ideal collection of talent.

RedRoute1, SOJAZ and NYJetsO12 like this.
  11. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

weve played way too much garbage time for stats like these to hold much weight

id like to see these numbers in the first half of games

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Good point. I think the difference in the two paragraphs of the Tweets is probably pretty much the splits as far as halves are concerned.

The ball usually comes out quicker against soft zones during blowouts because they're just checkdowns traded for clock.

13. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

My gripe and issue is not necessarily with Saleh, although that will quickly change, but it is with ML and how he has handled the first 3 weeks.

I have to give Saleh the benefit of the doubt here. This is his first time as a Head Coach and is 3 games into the season. A Head Coach has a MUCH larger responsibility than an OC. ML has one focus and that is on the offense. The offense sucks, plain and simple. The play calling sucks and we are not scoring points. Now obviously that all pushes up the pole and gets to Saleh, but in the meantime I think the blame needs to be laid at the feet of ML.

Losing Knapp was a gut punch. Every hire the Jets have made had someone next to them that could provide a veteran voice in their ear. Knapp was that presence for ML. It is time for ML to nut up or shut up. No one is asking for a top 5 offense. All we are asking is to be competitive and score fuckin points.

This week is a big week for him. If he puts out another showing like he did on Sunday, I am 1000% done with this idiot. I want him gone already but I am also giving him a chance to correct his mistakes.

RedRoute1, SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I can't give Saleh a pass on what LaFleur does - Head Coach means the guy is responsible for every minute factor going into and through every game. "The buck stops here" should be printed on every shirt Saleh wears. If not, "shape up or ship out" should be the order of the day, every day.

15. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I don't disagree. My pass is because he's three games into his time as head coach. No way you call a quits on a head coach after three games.

Many good to great head coaches have had to fire coordinators. While it does leave a small tarnish on their name, it is not the end all be all for a head coach and offensive coordinator to not work out. I think Lafleur might have bit off more than he can chew. It either changes or Saleh cuts the cord. That will be the determination of Saleh and his future as a head coach

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Or the defense can read his eyes. Many experts have said that

17. NCJetsfan

Who has said that? I have seen them say the exact opposite, i.e., how skilled Zach is at looking off the S, and manipulating DBs with his eyes, and haven't seen/heard one expert say that. Besides, how could 3 receivers all running to the same spot be on Zach's eyes? They all supposedly have routes to run. Unless LaFleur is totally brain dead, no NFL OC has designed plays where two or more WRs run to the same spot.

18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

There are many valid criticisms of Zach so far… defenses reading his eyes isn’t one of them and I don’t think I’ve heard anyone mention this besides you outside of a few plays over three weeks.

REVISion likes this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Bare with me as it's a strange comparison but what Steve Sarkisian is doing at Texas* is something that every offensive coordinator in the NFL (including our own) should learn from. He's had a wildly different skill set of players over the past four years at Alabama + Texas from Tua to Mac Jones to now his running offense in Austin.

So guess what he's done? Modified his offense every step of the way. Tua was airing the ball out down field, Mac Jones was working underneath to open up the deep pass and now he has a wide running offense at Texas.

LaFleur could learn a lot from this. Adjust to your personnel. Don't force your system on guys that don't fit what you want to do.

*Disclaimer: I understand the college game is different.

Brook! and SOJAZ like this.
  20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It must be fun to have a coach that actually does imaginative things on the field that don't require 3 receivers dancing in a straight line like the freaking Rockettes.

Jonathan_Vilma, Brook! and NCJetsfan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.