Fire Justus Galac (Please Pin This Post)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

You also have to consider all the other events that they hold in Metlife during a "normal" year - lots of concerts going on to keep the money coming in when its the off season in the NFL

2. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Here's another fringe theory: through intensive weight training, these guys have made their muscles so strong that their explosive movements on the field are more than their ligaments, tendons etc. can tolerate.

A few years ago, I read an article on players who blew out their ACL for a second time. One of the theories the orthopedists had was that the rehab process made their quads and other leg muscles so strong that an explosive movement could create more stress than the ACL could handle. I also saw another article about shoulder injuries to pitchers. The researchers found a point at which the arm speed necessary to generate a certain pitch velocity would almost automatically blow out the shoulder.

NCJetsfan, stinkyB, Br4d and 3 others like this.
  3. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I agree. They are obviously worried enough to start thinking about it with the current balls though - they have already banned head-height balls in my sons football league. I can't say I'm particularly keen on the rule change but it's obviously the direction of travel in many sports.

4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I think the new turf is a huge problem.

With that said I miss the days when Sal Alosi kept our guys in shape.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I don't agree with it either, football is what it is, the new balls are so light this will not be a problem, how you can ban head height balls when trying to make a clearance is absurd, they are not all little Pep acolytes and able to play it out from the back lol

You can't say kids can't head the ball but allow them to join boxing clubs, martial arts etc

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well, I'm just being nostalgic.

But in all seriousness, I do think the modern helmet especially is creating more injuries than its preventing I think. But they're not going to go back to a leather helmet with no facemask, or a single bar.

7. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Thought you would have something to add on this LJ. Would you not say that tackling in Union is more technical? Football has always seemed to have more of an emphasis on big hits to create fumbles, whereas with rugby the ball is never dead so one team will try to recirculate the ball while the other will try to steal it. Rules on high tackles have been around for ages as well which presumably has reduced the number of concussions.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think one of the reasons you see a lot of guys that appear to be going for big hits or fumbles and using their body as a missile is because of the size disparity at times between offensive players and defensive backs.

A 200 pound defensive back has no other option to take a freight train like Derrick Henry (250) or DK Metcalf (230) down. Same thing with why Gronk gets hurt every year of his career. A good form tackle on a guy that big just isn't happening if you're that overmatched in height/weight.

I had a good friend that was a former boxer. And he said once you get over a certain threshold (I think it was around 30 pounds), it does not matter who the better boxer is. It's just no match. Same principle here I think.

9. Leicester Jet

Yes, tackling in Union is a lot more technical, as the players do not have the level of protective equipment and putting your head in the wrong position can be very painful - I speak from personal experience on this. You are also correct that with the live ball emphasis is more on the tackle, then recovery back to the players feet so that he can then take possession of the ball.

High tackle rules have been around for a long time but over the last few years the tackle height has been brought down and the rule is being enforced with renewed vigour. The "no arm tackle" is also enforced now whereby the tackling player has to wrap his arms around the player being tackled, not just hit him with a shoulder.

10. twown

twown Well-Known Member

It's not that they "seem to think" it, it's that this is how American football works. (I'm not saying that's a good thing, btw.) If an American football player told a coach, "I'm not going to tackle with my head down because it's unsafe! I'm just going to wrap up, rugby-style," then he's not going to play American football. He wouldn't get on the field. It works in rugby because both players must protect their heads, and so impact looks very different.

Rugby is non-stop contact, but less forceful impact. American football is grounded in full-force, straight-forward impact. That's the game, and as the athletes get faster and stronger while skulls and brains remain basically the same, we see the proliferation of head injuries and the devastation it can cause in the long-term.

Were it somehow possible to see the long-term effects of these collisions immediately, high-level American football could very well disappear over night. Or else, it would be forced to change so drastically that the sport would become unrecognizable.

11. K'OB

You could always suggest that people stop pumping steroids into themselves to make themselves bigger?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I'm not sure who you're pointing the finger at here. By all means, PED's should be banned and eradicated from football.

13. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Jets injury thread: pinnable.

Player health and safety: pinnable (somewhere.)

Fire the trainer!: ehhh... not a big fan of pinning opinion pieces, even if I agree.

Brook! likes this.
  14. K'OB

Out of interest, why would you think I was pointing the finger at you?

I replied to your post that was saying players are getting faster and stronger with a suggestion, that is all.

As a final aside, are they not banned already lol :rolleyes:

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Sure. "Banned."

I honestly think they're rampant in the sport. But hey what do I know.

K'OB likes this.
  16. K'OB

Of course, they are, hence the use :rolleyes:

I guess that says a lot more about the testing program of the NFL

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Yes. It was more in agreement than any sort of correction.

But players usually know if they pass the summer test they're good to go for the season as long as they're not a serial offender. Which makes it all the more mind-blowing why these guys can't not use something for a month and do whatever they want thereafter.

K'OB likes this.
  18. DefenseWinsChampionships

I absolutely hate our artificial field turf and apparently so do the 49ers.

I wish all NFL playing fields (especially ours) would completely ban artificial field turf and go back to 100% natural grass...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. Leicester Jet

By sheer coincidence this was posted on the BBC website in the UK half an hour ago

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55004216

Dementia in Football - the Professional Footballers Association calls for heading in training to be reduced

20. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I got the impression you were blaming some party for steroid use in football. I guess I misunderstood what you were saying. I certainly didn't think you were blaming me for it. lol.

I guess I was confused about "suggesting" people stop taking them. I'm pretty sure everyone knows by now that steroids are not good for you. But they make you good at sports, which means scholarships, money etc. Suggestions aren't going to compete with that.

K'OB likes this.