Fins Thread

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Axel3419, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

A grown man talking about another grown man being "bullied" is one of the most pathetic things I've ever heard.

You guys sound like a pack of soccer mommys.

2. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

This is quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read.

3. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

He's gone with the "I don't care but I don't get it, so therefore I'm pissed off" strategy. It's a bold move, Cotton, let's see if it pays off.

Is that you, Mr. Incognito, Sr.?

4. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

Apparently you never got it. Somehow you're allowed the permission to determine context, but no one else is. That's fair. If one person is offended, everyone else needs to be. Again, very fair.

No yelling at players anymore. That's too mean. Teams will now have to provide orangle slices and donut holes following every practice.

5. 74

74 Well-Known Member

That's not what he said at all. Orange slices would be nice, thank you.

6. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

Of course he did. Giving someone the power to determine context(or disregard it entirely) is basic liberal logic.

7. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

You making this comment is one of the most pathetic things i've ever heard.

If you think bullying is not running rampant in this day in age, you are so wrong. It has gotten worse and worse and it needs to stop. I don't give a shit if you are 5 or 50, bullying is a pussy ass way of hurting someone and it is not a laughable matter.

8. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

He's a grown man who went running to his mommy because a VM that was clearly, if you listen to it...was intended to be a joke.

What exactly did Incognito do to Martin? Did he physically hurt him? Everything we've read so far is that the jokes played on Martin were consistent for everyone. Him and Incognito were buddies who hung out frequently.

Please provide some evidence- other than a written statement that wrote like a script from Days of Our Lives from Ryan Braun's(another stand-up fellow) attorney.

9. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

As for what Martin is going to do next: 1. initiate a lawsuit against the NFL and the Fins plus individual players, 2. just try to get his release from Miami and maybe get paid for this time period (if he isn't currently getting paid due to his status), 3. get re-instated to the active Dolphins roster or 4. maybe he is just trying to change the culture in the locker rooms around the NFL and isn't looking to cash in via lawsuits. Anybody can be intimidated. No matter how tough or strong there is someone who can get to you and control you. Even Richie can be brought down. Not just by physical strength but mainly psychological.

10. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Brandon Marshall had a comment that touched upon this your very good post

http://deadspin.com/brandon-marshall-on-the-culture-of-the-nfl-is-brillia-1461052472

11. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

It's no big revelation that a 100 lb. woman can bring down a big man and fast like a ton of bricks. And control them and make a tough guy into a slobbering bowl of mush. There's all kinds of psychological games and tests and anyone can be gotten to but supposedly these guys are adults and for me there is no room in a place of work for trying to condition people and mental warfare. From what I've read there is no way the Fins management and Philbin didn't know about this. And to me it was a way they tried to "coach" players up. But it goes over the line. You don't have to destroy someone mentally to make them a better football player. It's not worth it.

12. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Just read something online with Bill Parcells defending Richie I. Parcells was GM when Richie came over to Miami after getting released by the Rams. He said that Richie's behavior was pretty good and he had no problems with him. But what Parcells was really trying to defend (other than himself for signing Incognito) is the way of life in the NFL locker room. And he was totally supportive of it. He said it works. I guess that includes shaking down teammates for tens of thousands of dollars. Sorry I don't understand it. Just play football (you're professionals after all not high school kids), go to work, no head games, etc. and conduct yourselves like law abiding citizens and adults. No passes for the NFL.

13. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

I guess I don't get how guys in the locker room are supposed to joke around anymore if you constantly have to worry that you are crossing an invisible line and it can be cool for a year plus and then only find out the guy was offended when he quits the team.

Who defines what is too offensive? "Your mama" jokes? Is that now going too far? What about J.Martin stealing a guys car as a prank? That's okay but what he experienced isn't?

14. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

btw Joe Philbin was quoted as saying the Fins reacted immediately when they found out about Richie's alleged assault on the woman at the charity golf event. But the woman will not comment on it saying she has an agreement she made with the team which basically means they paid her off to be quiet and not press charges. I guess that's what they meant by reacting immediately. It's also true that shortly after than incident Incognito was elected to the Fins team counsel (even though they knew all about the incident).

15. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...-teammate-he-was-immature-unrealistic-scumbag

Cam Cleeland knows what it's like to get hazed. Fifteen years ago, he was a rookie with the Saints and he almost lost vision in his eye after being hit with a bag of coins as he made his way through "the gauntlet," an annual rite of passage for newbies.

The recent allegations that Dolphins guard Richie Incognito bullied teammate Jonathan Martin dredged up those memories for Cleeland, who arrived in New Orleans as a 6-5, 270-pound tight end.

"Guys were just rabid," Cleeland told the Los Angeles Times' Sam Farmer. "And you had a couple guys in the front that would stand in a three-point stance, and you would fire off the line like he was going to knock you over.

"You tried to make it through [the gauntlet], and they literally just beat the ever-loving crap out of you as you tried to get through. Everything you can imagine, from kicking, punching, scrapping. I remember my ankle was sore and I had missed two days of practice because I had rolled my ankle."

Cleeland said he was also punched in the nose, kicked in the leg and hit in the face with a coin-filled sock that has left him with only partial vision in one eye.

The hazing may have never come to light if Cleeland hadn't missed a preseason game.

"All the media saw me standing on the sideline with a black eye," he said. "It was, 'What the hell happened? He wasn't on the injury report.' It probably would have been covered up."

Fifteen years later, Cleeland still has issues with the way the organization handled the matter.

"Coach [Mike] Ditka gave me a speech as soon as it was done," he recalled. "He was like, 'Oh, man, you should have just popped those guys in the mouth.' I said, 'Coach, there were 60 of them.'"

Cleeland was with the Rams when they drafted Richie Incognito and he sensed early on that Incognito was trouble.

"I'm not afraid to say that he was an immature, unrealistic scumbag," he said. "When it came down to it, he had no personality, he was a locker-room cancer, and he just wanted to fight everybody all the time. It was bizarre beyond belief."

Cleeland also doesn't understand why some players think, like Ditka did years ago, that Martin should have retaliated with violence.

"Any NFL player that gives Martin a hard time -- I don't know him -- but any guy who says, 'This guy should have been a tough guy, should have stood up to him,' it's BS," he said. "I don't care if you're a good guy or not, you don't deserve that kind of treatment in any workplace. You've got to be tough. We're all tough guys. But in the end, you're still a human being. ...

"This guy [Martin] was probably feeling threatened and bothered by [Incognito] from day one. He let it simmer and let it go and finally, instead of going to the coaches. ...

Cleeland continued: "What happens if you go to your coach and say, 'This guy's bothering me.' He's going to look at you and go, 'Are you crazy? You wuss. You're not tough. Get out of my office.' I'm not saying that's what would happen with [Dolphins coach Joe] Philbin, because I don't know, but that's what's going to happen with 95 percent of coaches."

Incognito has been suspended indefinitely by the Dolphins and Martin, who left the team last week, is currently in California undergoing counseling.

16. Falco21

Keep 'em coming. I hate that scumbag and I hope more guys like this come out. The bullying needs to stop.

17. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Invisible line? If you can't see the difference between joking around and someone leaving a voice mail which involved a racist remark, a remark about shitting in his mouth and ending up with I'll kill you as well as another teammate saying they were going to run a train on his sister then there is no sense discussing it.

There is a big difference between what they did and Yo mama is so fat that people jog around her for exercise.

18. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

exactly. That's hardly a yo mama joke.

I heard yo mama jokes when I grew up. They were stuff like 'yo mama is so fat she sits around the house', not 'I'm going to rape your mother and make you watch' or the like.

Pretty damn sure the stuff Martin is releasing is not jokes. The Miami franchise is rotten to the core.

If Ross and the other owners have a clue, they clean house now, not wait until the end of the season.

Enough truth has come out that they should realize Philbin and the coaching staff need to go.

19. Falco21

Maybe Wallace will want to come over to the Jets with all the shit coming out lmao

20. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Logical fallacies, straw man, dismissive illogical inapplicable examples... Do you even know what you're rambling about? Are you having a stroke?