Finally... Saleh: Elijah more reps in slot

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Nov 9, 2022.

1. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Seems the CS is finally learning some lessons. First, last week giving Zach more quick hits.
    Now, in an interview on CBS Sports, Saleh said:
    Maybe they were waiting for the Bye, to 'adjust' the scheme, whatever, big kudos to the CS for finally getting what many of us have been, err, politely asking for. Good on them.

2. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

It's frustrating in many ways, because we don't know what is really going on inside the building, but it does seem as though this coaching staff is slowly learning on the job. It would be unreasonable to expect them to all hit the ground running and not make any mistakes, but there are signs that the (apparent) stubbornness that characterised their treatment of Mims is being modified. If this rethink on Moore is genuinely happening, then it is a quicker response than we saw with the Mims situation.

Again, we might just be being fed a line and we will likely never know for sure. But it does appear that the staff is becoming a little more flexible, which is a good thing. If we can get Moore producing as well as Garrett Wilson, this offense can be very dangerous.

3. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Let's hope it's true. It's also good news for Mims, but moreso, the team in general. For me, it's been frustrating watching real talent being wasted, rather than utilized properly. Hopefully, the blinders are coming off, & we can finally see an offense, which uses all available talent, & emphasizes each players' strength.

Jets79 likes this.
  4. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Still trying to figure out what Moore did to be in the dog house? The guy was one if not our best offensive player last season which wasn't saying much, and he's young and talented. Why exactly did it take this long to make him a priority this season?

Ralebird and Jets79 like this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Might be a "new boss" situation where the new hire wants HIS people out front. Moore was in a no-win situation as he could have just stayed on cruise control and collected his game checks but instead, wanted to participate. When he got stonewalled, he got frustrated and let his feeling be known. His timing could have been better but it was building and better it happen halfway thru the season, than in the middle of a playoff race. With Mims producing, the CS realizes it may have been a bit hasty sidelining both him and Moore. They realize sooner or later Zach will have to find someone other than CW to throw the ball too. It can't always be Corey Davis sooo, maybe MLF had another "ah hah" moment like last Sunday when he realized he could run the ball and still win a game.

6. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

That's good to hear. He's a good player, and Zach needs to be surrounded by as many good players as possible.

I actually thought there was some merit to his trade request, since Zach really doesn't look his way. The trade deadline has come and gone, and it makes no sense for him to do anything but play football, and request a trade in the offseason.

They had him run like five miles with zero targets last week, lets get him involved and give the defense another player to need to prep for.

nycarl, All Gas No Shake and papapump like this.
  7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Didn't MLF want Moore in the draft, I'm sure he did and talked him up, who is the new boss in your scenario?

PJ4Ever likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

He's young and obviously has that combination of big ego + immaturity that a lot of top athletes have coming out of college. If they're in the NFL it means they were probably the best player wherever they played their whole life up until now. But hopefully he has now realized that it's not all about him. I don't think the play calling was designed to not get him the ball, it was just the result of the OL and Zach not figuring out how to get enough time to find him on those longer routes. Having him play out of the slot sometimes would be a good thing as many of us have said. I also think that they ought to "mix and match" the receivers, moving them around. Of course that requires them being able to know the routes from those other positions, but if they can do that it will really provide a lot of opportunities for all of them.

Ralebird likes this.
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Figure it out. Moore has talent and every professional coach is asked to deal with stuff like this. It is just stupid. I don't want to see Jeff Smith getting targets anymore

They buried Mims in the doghouse, they finally are pressed to play him, and look what happens.

Navigating egos is on the job description, coach

10. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Coach Saleh took the high road and didn't say maybe Moore should shut his fat mouth next time. Moore's disproportionate delusional self-importance at the time he said it wasn't winning him any awards. These guys make me laugh.

11. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

There is a lot of truth to what you say but at the same time letting some scrub hold you hostage is not a good look.

Mims response was to work his ass off not to complain out loud again when he saw where it got him. I think that worked out for him so far.

12. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

This offense is going to be scary good if we ever get Corey, Elijah, Denzel and Garrett working in harmony not to mention are tight ends. And that's minus our two of our best offensive players Breece & AVT.

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Players coaches are natural people pleasers and in my experience, people like that struggle to deal with unpleasant ego clashes, which I can only guess was the source of tension between MLF and Moore. Seems like he's figuring it out the painful way.

14. Cman68

Mims transitioned I think from Gase to Saleh. I thought Moore did too. If that's the case that MLF talked him up?, then it had to be his ego that made him sideline Moore. I thought it was because MLF didn't want the guy. I was wrong.

15. Cman68

How many years does Moore have left on his rookie deal?

16. abyzmul

2 years after this one, UFA in 2025.

17. Cman68

So he gets paroled in 2 years. The way this is going, its not like he's gonna have a lot of miles on him when his time comes. Hell, he'll almost be like a rookie but just with 4 years experience on what NOT to do..

#17 Cman68, Nov 9, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
  18. abyzmul

Meh, stuff like this gets conveniently forgotten when players start getting reps. The situation will probably be a bit different in 2 seasons, unless Joe does end up trading him at some point.

He would have to become really productive to forgive the early drama.

Cman68 likes this.
  19. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I don’t think so…JDs first draft in 2020 was the Becton Mims draft with Gase…JDs second draft was the one with Moore and that was for Saleh

at least I think that’s how it went…

LAJet, Cman68 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Definitely Mims he was for Gase but Moore was a Saleh/milf pick. I'd say MLF is just a vindictive fucker tbh, Saleh and JD seem to be saying one thing and MLF not giving out any candy on match day.

#20 K'OB, Nov 10, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
    Cman68 likes this.