Final Pennington vs Favre Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Long Time Jet Fan, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The NY media and fan pressure is another factor that suggests that the prospects for going high in the draft for a new Qb is not likely to be successful. As I think Fourth and I have been saying with hopefully some persuasiveness, heh, the Jets over their history have a poor record of developing Qb's. O'Brien and Pennington were, but they had some issues, and other than Richard Todd no one else had any real success (and Todd was more problematic than the aforementioned). Of course there was Namath, but that was before SBIII, and we know what that means. Everybody else ranged from barely mediocre to awful.

By comparison look at Vinny. Tells you something that the only Champ game the team has been to in the last 28 years or so they had a Qb who was developed elsewhere, and came to the Jets fully trained by others.

Of course of course that does not mean that it is impossible to groom a new Qb, but I am somewhat lacking in the faith that the Jets can do that with any favorable prospects for success.

2. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I think it is hard anywhere but New York makes it harder. Vinny was from New York and had success as soon as he got here, Chad had success right away, O'Brien did relatively early and still people soured on them the minute something didn't go well. If you've been around the league a while or are from NY you can weather it, Eli had the benefit of his father and brother knowing the ropes.

A lot comes down to the mental make-up of the guy. Todd struggled for years with bad teams, the southern accent, it really got in his head, they called him "Re-Todd". In today's era he probably wouldn't have lasted here long enough to have the success he eventually had. There's no way Walt Michaels would have survived those first few years, his record was a lot worse than Mangini's. It's not a place for learning on the job, especially when the Giants are in the playoffs every year.

3. jigglebilly

jigglebilly New Member

What statistician takes away points so they can get out an argument, what is not smart about me pointing out your biasing of the argument. I'm sure you'd like to also take away the final Dolphins game of the season, so you can say chad didn't throw 4 ints in a game, but that game happened, and so did Favre's.

Aren't you supposed to be a realist?

And I'm not sure if you noticed, but I already havea team I'm rooting for, just because I defend Favre, makes me wrong?