Final Call on Rex Ryan

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PinPointPenning10, Dec 27, 2014.

?

What should the Jets do with Rex Ryan at the end of the season?

1. Keep Rex

37.0%
  2. Fire Rex

63.0%
  1. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

The good news is we won the moral victory super bowl

NJBeliever likes this.
  2. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

precisely, Rextension imminent

Clark Gaines likes this.
  3. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

All of this today would be great if it didn't already happen, in a more impressive way, last year

4. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Haha nice

5. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Well, I guess you are find with many years of both mediocre defenses and offenses.

6. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

They could, you know, actually stock the offense and keep Rex...I know I know, they can only stock the offense if Rex is no longer coach because the GM has to listen to Rex when he says, "draft a CB!!"

7. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

Yes, I think you are right ... sadly Rex never got the support that he needed here from his GM.

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

To me is very simple, if we let go of Rex, we better have someone better than him to fill his shoes. People here all of the sudden like to pour on the shit on all of his faults and none of his strengths. Let see what we get first.
    There are not a lot of proven NFL winners out there looking for a job....so we will need to take a chance on a coordinator with credentials and give him the time to improve this team.

Further, we need a GM that has the magic touch to find us a QB that can win the big ones and can excell in crunch time. No easy task. Until we find our QB, no coach is taking this team to the SB or deep into the playoffs

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets offense hasn't been as bad three years running since 1994 to 1996. The Jets have to fix that and there's no reason to believe at this point that Rex can fix it.

NYJ79 likes this.
  10. Greenday4537

No way in hell he could with the roster the GM handed him.

11. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

What we're hearing now is that maybe tomorrow only Idzik is getting fired. That Woody wants the new GM to make the final decision on Rex. The story continues saying Rex wants to know his fate immediately so he could be in line for another job. And he's right on this one. Let him know where he stands. A new GM might not be on the job for weeks. Woody's really trying to cover his ass.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Both of them? Both GM's I mean?

13. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

As a head coach he is responsible for the team:

The jets had no franchise QB when Rex showed up and have no franchise QB 6 years later even with multiple qbs and coordinators.

He also chooses his coordinators and is expected to get the best out of them. MM was probably his best pick on offense but our offense still remained inconsistent and conservative.

Since westhoff has left our special teams returns and coverage has gotten worse. Punting has always been a problem and stands out on a conservative team.

The guys defense has been great though. So basically if the jets could have had a veteran QB, Rex probably looks a lot better now. Instead he had to pick and create an offense and QB, something he struggles with. As a head coach that responsibility ultimately falls on him.

I think he can land on a team with a veteran, franchise QB and can do wonders for a team. But where the jets are now, I think the offense will still struggle

14. Greenday4537

Well, he went to the AFCC twice in a row. Then the next year, our RB corps consisted of Greene (meh) and a washed up LT. Sanchez got sacked a ton because Austin Howard can't block. And that was the end of having a stacked roster. Everything went downhill after 2010. RB corps sucked. Our WR corps was declining. 2012 our WR corps got even worse. Revis was gone early in the year. 2013 contained a rookie QB, a crappy receiver corps, a rookie CB that took a while to catch on, and mediocre safeties, and a shitty o-line. This year, we lost two of our top three CBs before the season started, Milliner got hurt early in the season, Pryor can't tackle, we got ONE WR in FA before the season started and signed Harvin after our season was already over. D'Brick is slow and not good anymore. Colon sucks. LG situation sucked. We wasted money on Vick. We wasted money on CJ2K. Harvin was a waste if we don't keep him.

We've spectacularly failed these past few years because of personnel management, not coaching.

IIMeanDeanII and Clark Gaines like this.
  15. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

My problem with this is you are excluding coaching to why these players struggled.

Coaches are expected to develop players and put them in position to excel. That's one of their main jobs as coach. Again the offense struggled even though we added players. Again special teams struggled. Again Rex didn't adjust his defense until too late to factor in the talent or lack of talent. Again the jets struggled in the red zone. Again we mismanaged the clock. Again and again we let teams score at will in the 2 minute offense.

Yes our talent was not top notch but that doesn't mean Rex gets a free pass. It just seems Rex has trouble establishing an offense. So my theory is that he needs an established QB and playmakers like in Chicago and Atlanta. The thing is, the Jets just aren't at that point with this franchise and cannot trust Rex to help find and develop a young QB into an established QB.

Idzik has not done a great job but there have player and coaching struggles that are not talent related.

We don't need to rehash tanny who messed up by going short term, but we were 8-5 in 2011 and lost 3 straight. We got outplayed and outcoached down that stretch. again tanny and idzik aren't experts but Rex does not get a pass for not putting offensive players in position to excel. The defense we see Rex skill. The offense, we see an offense that has had the same flaws and reactions for 6 years

I just don't think the franchise are at a position where they could give Rex and established offense next year. He would need to build one and from what we have seen, there is nothing to go on to show us rex can do that.

16. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

In 2011 we were sitting at 8-5 and poised to make the playoffs for the 3rd consecutive season ... For the first time in franchise history. From that point until today, Rex is 18-33 as a head coach. Is that everyone else's fault?

If we simply had league AVERAGE Red Zone offense and defense, we'd be no worse than 8-8 this year and Rex would likely be back. But we weren't anywhere near average. In fact we may have been dead last on both sides of the Red Zone. Who does that fall on? Not to mention, our special teams have gone from a major strength to an unmitigated disaster the past few seasons. Again ... Who's fault is that? These things ultimately fall on the Head Coach. He's in charge of everything. It's that simple.

He's been a bad coach for 3+ seasons and it's time for a change.

BTW --- You know who's an excellent coach? John Harbaugh ... The guy the Ravens chose to coach their team despite already having Rex on their staff. Another playoff season for the Ravens in 2014, as we start from square one again.

17. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

The obvious counter-point is that the players that left never improved significantly after leaving the team - if they had, it would be evidence that Rex can't coach and that other league-average coaches were capable of getting more out of the same players. Mark Sanchez, Kellen Clemens, Shonn Greene, Santonio Holmes, Stephen Hill, Brad Smith, Jerricho Cotcherry, Dustin Keller, Matt Slauson, Vlad Ducasse, Wayne Hunter, Mike Devito, Kerry Rhodes, Laron Landry - which one of these players left the Jets and suddenly became an improved player? Slauson, maybe? The only two players that have left during the Rex era that we'd still undeniably like to have are Revis and Cromartie. Nobody else went anywhere and did anything! That's not a coaching problem; it's a personnel problem.

18. Heavy Metal Thunder

I hope Idzik and Marty go and Rex stays but I just don't see it happening.

19. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Just wanted to get some numbers.

20. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Haha thanks - life's become busier so haven't been able to post as much, but I'm always checking in ;)