Film Breakdown Notes: Offensive Line

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Sep 15, 2021.

1. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I'm not an offensive line guru, I will openly admit I know a little about a little when It comes to this part of the game.

I've re-watched the game and I don't think Fant did as bad as everyone Is claiming. I don't think he was the worst lineman. That's not saying much though and It doesn't really matter because they all were bad overall. IMO

I think McGovern was atrocious In the run game. The right side was pretty bad In the run game honestly. It was just bad In general.

A lot of blame all around though and I truly believe Saleh when he says It's on everyone as far as the blocking went last sunday. CS, OL, and Wilson all contributed to that shit show. Especially In the first half.

Hopefully It gets fixed. Like. This week kind of hopeful.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's just gamepass? didn't know it had that. It's only like an extra 50 for me to upgrade to gamepass. i'll take a look at it. thanks!

With that said I agree with a lot of what you said with a few little different ways of seeing it maybe you could go back and watch certain plays again

1) the big one is AVT getting pushed back, that one was not his fault, I know you've been busy putting this awesome post together but it's been discussed here a few times and that one is actually on berrios. You can even see him clap in frustration. AVT had a job to get outside and lead block, berrios was supposed to chop down the guy who pushed AVT down. AVT was running towards the outside looking at the guy he was supposed to block and was blindsided buy a guy coming in perpendicular to him. Can't fault him for that.

2) alot of the inside pressure seemed liek bad communications/pick ups. mostly on mcgovern and GVR with a little on AVT. there was 1 play you mention (number 2) where becton didn't turn inside fast enough. I don't agree with that, becton clearly passed him off to AVT and AVT whiffed. he was bad in pass protection overall (AVT not becton) becton still had to watch the outside,carolina was running delays and stunts all game. had he turned inside his man could have came in untouched, he still had to account for his guy. each player has an assignment you can't drop it because you think you see something that can change. I think becton was correct for sticking to the play instead of freelancing.

3) there was also a play on mcgovern where someone came up the middle untouched while he was triple teaming 1 lineman along with fant and GVR and the TE was blocking a DE by himself and the delay blitz on the guy mcgovern should have watched came in untouched at the same time the TE got blown up by the DE and they met at the QB. that's just piss poor all around

Overall carolina didn't really blitz or have numbers. they were getting free rushers in fast rushing only 4. #7 on carolina was just a beast all day, i'll give him his due. but alot of it seems just bad communication and blitz call outs. not sure if that's on mcgovern or zach or the o-line as a whole but that needs to be addressed and seems fixable. Also our RBs an TEs are piss poor blockers. we need to give wesco a chance. he can't be a worse blocker then giffin and kroft were

3. MowTin

MowTin Active Member

He wasn't the worst but we were hoping he would be the anchor of our line.

You admit he made a mental error on one, got beat on another, and one false start...

But did you miss this?

[​IMG]

I'll quote myself here where I point out 3 other bad plays Becton

And that's the best player on our line.

4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

CC: @cval claiming Becton only gave up one pressure the entire game.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  5. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

You've missed some things here. I listed 4 plays: Got Beat, Mental Error, False Start, Uncalled Hands to the Face by DL
    1. Got Beat
    [​IMG]
    2. Mental Error
    [​IMG]
    I won't bother to show false start.
    4. Uncalled Illegal Hands to the Face by the Defensive End, but you put it as him getting beat
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And Lastly, you say he blocks the wrong person but that's not right. The Edge defender is the responsibility of the RB and TE, they are ready and go straight for him. McGovern and AVT are responsible for the LB's if they blitzed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What other plays are you talking about?

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

Good luck. I've said the same but he doesn't reply. I appreciate the cut ups and video's he does, but the issue is he wrongfully pushes an incorrect narrative then refuses to address it or fix it. I mean I expect us all to make mistakes. I have to rewatch things several times and i'll gladly go back if someone says I'm worng or missed something. Like I originally thought Q had a bad game but when I went back and focused on him, He actually had a good game. That's how conversations should be back and forth, but some people just want to gripe

ColoradoContrails and Mogriffjr like this.
  7. MaximusD163

Oh well

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  8. MowTin

MowTin Active Member

I see, I thought #4 was your got beat because he did get beat there. You say it's illegal hands to the face but I don't see it when looking at the closer view:

https://media.giphy.com/media/oxwfc...f08f6f3cfe&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=g

The refs didn't see it. Maybe you're right. Maybe I'm being too critical. Maybe you're excusing away some bad plays.

But he is overweight and it's a real concern what kind of shape he'll be in when he returns. Hopefully, the O-line plays better against the Pats. Hopefully, we also run quicker plays.

9. MaximusD163

You'll never see it from that camera angle. You need the end zone view. Just look at the picture, it's clear as day the white glove is punching his facemask. I can see it much better in my video editor, trust me it's hands to the face. You can even see Becton's head snap back in the gif.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

On the whole I agree with you here, but IMO Becton was better than you're giving him credit for, as Max's analysis shows. That said, if that analysis is correct why did the OL improve after Mekhi went out? I'm not saying that he's the problem or trash, but the fact is things got better - not based on stats, but actually better - after he left. Max if you have an explanation for that, I'm all ears.

REVISion likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

oh BTW with the all 22 are you sure it's working in gamepass? I looked online and ti said it's not in gamepass yet but will be some time during the season. I already have sunday ticket max so gamepass is only a 50 dollar add on for me which I don't mind paying at all if I get the all 22's but that's the only use i'd have for it so if it's not there it's kind of a waste if they never add it.

12. GasedAndConfused

Based on what exactly? he entered the NFL at 364 lbs at 6'7" which isn't a lot of weight for his height. Do you know what his weight is now? people also forgot how easy it is for athletes to drop weight. mosley lost 20lbs in the offseason to fit the system. becton can easily drop weight when needed. He has access to PTs and dieticians. He ran a 5.1 40 at a top speed of 16MPH as a 364 lb man. that's stupidly impressive. To call him overweight with no basis is insane.
    This was him july 2021

does that look like an overweight person to you?

13. MaximusD163

It's available in for the international version, not sure about US version. I know there were people saying they couldn't get it in the US so I don't know if it's active, or if not when it will be. I'm in Europe for the time being.

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

TBF, looks can be deceiving. He may not be technically overweight, but if he can't move quickly enough, or he's putting added strain on his bones, ligaments, and cartilage, then he's effectively overweight.

REVISion likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

He does move just fine
    https://www.nfl.com/videos/baldy-s-breakdowns-is-big-ticket-mekhi-becton-the-most-underrated-rookie

It's the NFL, all players are putting immense strain and wear and tear on their bodies all the time. that's why careers are so short compared to other sports.

16. GasedAndConfused

ah gotcha, yeah may not be up in the US yet. I seen a post on reddit from today saying it was supposed to be ready by week 1 but it's not up yet. something with a change they made to the app so they had to fix something to get the all 22s back

17. MaximusD163

Yeah it's a bunch of bullshit, I think they are intentionally keeping it from US users for some reason. Not totally sure why but it probably has something to do with all of the independent football content creators that are popping up.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

who knows but with no all 22 no reason for me to get gamepass and probably many others. But I think you are right. they probably want a way to charge content creators more for it

19. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

364 is absolutely a lot of weight for a 6'7 person, and Mekhi has been around 380 since he got into the pros. Idk how you can claim weighing nearly 400 lbs isn't too much. Mekhi is one of the 10 heaviest players to ever play in the NFL. Shaq's average playing weight was around 350-360 at 7'1, so Mekhi is playing 20-30 lbs heavier than that while being 6 inches shorter.

Becton can easily drop weight when needed? Then why hasn't he done it? You don't need to be 380 lbs to play LT well, it's actually a detriment at that point. Weight doesn't come without drawbacks.

All we heard about all camp was how often Becton was getting beaten by speed rushers.

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Mental error, uncalled Illegal hands to the face? And you are saying you are not a homer? If this split second hand to the face is enough for him to get beat, it will continue to happen a lot since no one is calling it.