Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance (Volume 3)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 8, 2021.

?

Who would you pick at #2?

1. Fields

26.8%
  2. Wilson

58.8%
  3. Other - Please Explain

2.1%
  4. Trade Down

12.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

REVISion, Noam and Borat like this.
  2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Those types of throws really can't be taught. It's not the mechanics of them, of course that can be taught, it's when to use them - that takes an innate sense of the game. Why was/is Mahomes such a revelation? Because of his mind not his physical abilities. Lots of QBs have had great arms, but to do what Mahomes did and does requires a different way of thinking about how the QB position is played - for Mahomes it's about getting the ball out of his hands and into the hands of a receiver, not just about completing passes and accruing yards. That may be a subtle difference, but it's a key one. I'm probably not describing this properly, but anyone watching the above video should be able to see a QB who thinks "outside the box", and has a creative bent. This is the aspect that sets Wilson apart from the others. My only real concern with him is can he stay healthy and learn to avoid the big hits?

GasedAndConfused, cval and Borat like this.
  5. legler82

6. legler82

As the Mahomes the prospect super fan I cringe every time I hear his name mentioned in the same sentence, paragraph or even post.

7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

They should stand in place 10 yards apart and throw footballs at each other's heads until one gets KO'd.

Footballgod214 and legler82 like this.
  8. legler82

Something I appreciate Jenkins brought up that no other Wilson supporter has brought up is the fact that Wilson has faced mostly stagnant defenses all year. Meaning pre & post snap coverages were the same. In the very limited instances he did see face non-stagnant coverages, he struggled like most young QBs do. Fields has had a lot more exposure to this throughout the season with Indiana being the most exotic. Just something to consider.

#848 legler82, Apr 16, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    Ralebird and Snatch Catch like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

First - what are you doing posting a pro-Fields video? You're a Wilson supporter! Come on man! Stay in your lane!:p

But seriously, I have always thought that the Alabama game was actually a positive for Fields, even though OSU lost badly. It wasn't on him. Yes, much like CC with Wilson, the QB did everything he could, it was the team that let him down. What Justin brings to the table - besides a great arm and athletic ability - is his toughness. That he even played that game is unbelievable IMO, and that he played really well is beyond that. It's that toughness that almost makes me want the Jets to take him because playing in the N.E. in the winter is physically demanding and I think he's perfect for that. Not that Wilson can't play in cold weather - playing in Provo and other Western Mountain locations proves he can - but Fields seems better built for it.

That said, I still prefer Wilson, but again, would not be unhappy with Fields.

NCJetsfan, cval, Borat and 2 others like this.
  10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree with you more. 1000% spot on. It doesn't matter if its Wilson or Fields, but going particularly with Zach, after all the narrative regurgitated at nausea about the higher risk, one year wonder, cupcake schedule, entitlement, etc etc etc is anything but SOJ. It takes major cojones to go all in with a new QB will all those perceived red flags. SOJ was to keep Sam, draft a LT at three, play it safe, rinse and repeat QB search next year with a better infrastructure to support him.

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

That last play is my favorite. So slick! Had to watch it 3 times just to see what he did there

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  12. baalworship

baalworship Active Member

QB's become elite or stars when you can stack multiple NFL +'s.

Mahomes

Rocket Arm + Highest Grading Off-Platform + Elite Vision +Elite Spatial Awareness and Pocket Presence.

You add all that together and that's fire.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

See here’s the thing anyone who knows football knows that Justin Fields is going to be better on SF next year over Wilson and probably Lawrence too. Then all the pundits that were say they were right on Fields he’s 12-5 and Wilson/Lawrence is 7-10. That’s got nothing to do with Wilson/Fields/Lawrence that’s got to do with what SF has to offer. Starts with Shanahan, Samuel, Aijuk, Mostart, stacked OL, excellent FB, run the ball, play action and a solid D. They are miles ahead. If Wilson/Lawrence we’re heading to SF then they would be the better QB this year. Those top 3 guys are really good prospects. Fields is awesome on how he wins, Wilson is awesome in how wins and Lawrence is awesome in how he wins. All 3 guys have the potential to be pro bowlers.

Brook!, ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You like someone to be less complete prospect as of today and not a good fit for the system they are running?

These are positives that Jenkins pointed out, not the reason why he chose Wilson as a #1 QB. He didn't even know which system he will drafted into when he evaluated Zach and determined he has the best overall potential to be FQB from this class.

#854 Borat, Apr 16, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

One thing they both agree on: You can't go wrong with Zach Wilson. To me opinion of these guys, and Simms, carry a lot of weight. All 3 agree Wilson will be good, even if JT ranks him as #3 with top 3 all being really good and close to each other, and others #1. Now that's consensus!

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. legler82

I can’t be as diplomatic. Maybe if I was folks wouldn’t get as aggy. Fields projects as the better prospect to me period. Hence, why I’m not as laissez faire about it as the “anyone of 2 will do” crowd.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  17. Rockinz

I don’t think it’s being diplomatic it’s just that 3 QBs are good. Fields is set up for success with SF

18. legler82

I’ve said it countless times. I’m not interested in getting the most ready in week 1. I want the potentially best one. So yes, I would sacrifice perceived “readiness” for that end result. The readiness gap is not even as wide as propagated anyway IMO. If SF drafts Fields doesn’t that make the whole fit thing total bull shit?

19. legler82

Even among good QBs there are levels.

20. Rockinz

100% but prospects thrive in the environment they are given as well. You put Lawrence on SF they are SB contenders. You put Wilson on SF they are a playoff team, fields on SF is also a playoff team.

If Fields is on the Jets and Wilson is on SF who do you think has the better year? It’s Wilson 100%. If you put Wilson on the Jets and Fields in SF who do you think has a better year? It’s Fields 100%.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.